Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Passchendaele the Movie

stevehowarth

I'm leading a school trip to Ypres in May. I thought it might be a good coach journey time killer to show the new Canadian movie to the students.

Has anybody been able to buy a legitimate DVD compatible with UK players? If so, I would be grateful if you could let me know how you acquired it.

Steve

I'm leading a school trip to Ypres in May. I thought it might be a good coach journey time killer to show the new Canadian movie to the students.

Has anybody been able to buy a legitimate DVD compatible with UK players? If so, I would be grateful if you could let me know how you acquired it.

Steve

Steve,

I just purchased this from a Canadian vendor via Amazon. (I am in the US so it was US region) but it was terribly disappointing.

I am not sure what the weight of opinion might be on the forum but frankly I thought the film as a whole was absolutely awful.

There is a brutal battle scene of about 10 minutes at the end - but beyond that I wouldn't knock yourself out to find a copy. I found the characterisation terrible, what characters there were either stereotypes or just wooden, the dialogue swung between the clichéd and simple clunky, the storyline unconvincing.... you can see the battle scene on U-Tube beyond this I personally found little to recommend this as a film, terribly disappointed.

I think it aimed to be a Canadian Gallipolli - and failed miserably...

The one thing I enjoyed was identifying iconic photographic/artistic images which they recreated in the film - this was quite well done - but not IMHO a saving grace.

(not sure on the age of your students but the battle scene is graphic and brutal (perhaps no bad thing), there is also reference to drug use and a couple of "love scenes" - nothing really explicit but depends on your/school policies I suppose)

for what it is worth, even as a time filler I wouldn't recommend it.

just a personal view written 10 minutes after viewing! (really!)

Chris

Steve,

Have to agree with Chris and I am not sure that a party of schoolchildren would sit through it.

Andy

I downloaded it (tut tut), I thought it was worth a watch but then again I thought that The Trench was ok! :)

Steve.

Steve - I agree re The Trench ... for all its failings (and for us anoraks there's always something) it was a FAR superior movie to this Canadian effort.

Des

Similar misgivings have been expressed about The Red Baron, and indeed about virtually every recent WW1 movie. Perhaps one day Peter Jackson (the Lord of the Rings director, who is a WW1 aircraft buff) will make a film to eclipse Dawn Patrol, Aces High and The Blue Max, but is there anyone around in the film industry today who is capable of making a mainstream movie focusing on the land war that would satisfy an audience like us - and also be a commercial success?

I actually quite enjoyed it. And I think it would be appreciated by school children more than say, a documentary.

The blood and guts, whilst graphically done, only appears at the beginning and end of the movie. There is a love story plot line that might appeal more to those of a female persuasion. Also there is an interesting take on the crucified soldier story.

Very much full of steroetypes but it might not have felt like a WW1 movie if it hadn't been.

'The Trench' is better, and 'Galipoli' the best, but then again 'Galipoli' is going to be a hard act to to follow.

No ideas where you might source a PAL version though... sorry.

I had avoided reading any of the commentary on the forum before I saw the film. I just read the thread.

I really wanted the film to be good and I really wanted to like it (not the same thing!) I don't think it was either. I understand what Gross is trying to do and respect that, but I just think it was terribly poor attempt. I think "the Trench", with all the criticisms that can be leveled at it was far better, same with "Jouyeux Noel" - infinitely better, "A Very Long Engagement" (different but also better...) - in all of those I actually cared about the characters. I think I might have even liked "Flyboys" more!

My criticisms are not about "historical accuracy" (nor anorak details or overall - see all three movies mentioned above) nor about technical qualities - the battle scene was impressive in impact but the story and the imagery was so incredibly clichéd including the "redemption"/sacrifice scene at the end with its clumsy Christ imagery (which we had been prepared for throughout with the repeated mention of the crucifixion claim) but all of the characters were simple clichés that have been done far better elsewhere (the fat uncaring/cowardly English officer, are all well meaning psychologists Scots?("Behind the lines" - again better IMHO), tokenism of the worst sort (one "native" on the screen for about 15 seconds and one French Canadian with a Lewis gun, the upper class "doctor" sending his daughter's suitor off to be killed).... I should stop. For me even the fantastically beautiful Canadian landscape which presumably was intended to be the home for which the characters were yearning was shot in such a way as to reduce it to a cheap picture postcard....

Fair point about Weir's film - but that is sort of my issue. There are all sorts of stereotypes, myths, inaccuracies etc in that work, but it still (for me) is a great film in which you care about the characters, which creates a great period impression and effectively conveys its message. It works. For me - despite really hoping it would - Passchendaele does not - on any level.

(just my 2p)

Chris

It seems as if this may not be the film to fill time when on tour with your pupils.

The Trench is not the answer either, since the language is just not appropriate (unless your school has a VERY liberal policy!)

Maybe My Boy Jack would be a better bet....and they can identify with the actor playing the main character.

I also tend to show bits of The Great war...not all in one go, but selected bits as we go along. The boxed set can be found cheaply.

Hope this helps

Bruce

Personally, I think the movie should have been called "Ten Minutes of Passchendaele" b/c that's about the amount of time they spent on the battle itself. It's more of a love story set during the War than it is a war movie. I'm also a teacher and there's no way I would show this movie to represent the contributions of Canadians during the Great War.

A Very Long Engagement is a great film but the French sub-titles might be hard work on a coach.

My Boy Jack is good but could do with a bit more action.

You can shoot me down in flames on this one...............

.......but............

how about 1979 version of All Quiet on the Western Front.......the one with John Boy Walton in it? mmm.gif

Similar misgivings have been expressed about The Red Baron, and indeed about virtually every recent WW1 movie. Perhaps one day Peter Jackson (the Lord of the Rings director, who is a WW1 aircraft buff) will make a film to eclipse Dawn Patrol, Aces High and The Blue Max, but is there anyone around in the film industry today who is capable of making a mainstream movie focusing on the land war that would satisfy an audience like us - and also be a commercial success?

Search Crossing the Lines on google or youtube. Peter Jackson did a short film using a new camera technology, but just the previews are available. Even still they are probably the best war footage since Saving Private Ryan makes drool for what he could do with a full length film.

Still waiting for my copy of Passchendaele to come in the mail.

Jon

How about Regeneration? Just looked on Amazon and its quite pricey but it may tie in with English Lit if they still study Wilfred Owen. I enjoyed The Trench too - there's also Paths of Glory (albeit set in Verdun)? My Boy Jack is superb and very moving.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I'm still unsure whether the DVD has gone on sale in the UK. I've certainly not seen the film itself advertised at local cinemas.

In the light of the comments, I'm not going to try too hard to find a copy for May 18th - when we leave.

I'm disappointed to hear that the battle itself only features for 10 minutes. Surely a really epic, good-old-fashioned war film could have been constructed out of the battle in question. Perhaps its best left to the drama-documentary genre a la 'The Somme - from defeat to victory' (2006); unfortunately these TV- based documentaries don't have the big budgets to do real credit to the battle scenes.

Unfortunately this means more coach time for 'Blackadder' - no comments invited!

Steve

Steve,

When I took a group to Ypres (US college students) I used a video for basic background -- I just dug it out.

It was a Tyne Tees production Copyright 1999. It is part 3 of a 3 part series "Great Battles of the Great War" Vol 3 is on Ypres.

I only have it on VHS. As I recall (it has been a couple of years since I saw it) it is a decent basic introduction... but a traditional documentary using archive film, it lasts 56 minutes.

The cover indicates it was distributed by Hartnell. There is a phone number if you want it PM me.

The rear blurb reads: Vol 3. Ypres

"In 1917 this Belgian city was to become infamous as the centre of the greates killing gound of the entire war. In a sea of freezing mud;poisonous gas a constant rain of high explosive and a hail of machine gun fire, brought hideous carnage as General Haig gambled his army in an attempt to take the high ground of Passchendaele Ridge"

Chris

the imagery was so incredibly clichéd including the "redemption"/sacrifice scene at the end with its clumsy Christ imagery

Here's a still of the scene..........................

cru.jpg

Steve.

Actually this was just before the scene I meant...when he was "carrying the cross" (of his fellow sufferer) back; pauses, then rises up to "redeem" himself and become a "saviour" and of course simultaneously a sacrifice....

Oh yes, the sun breaks through and a dove flies over giving him just the inspiration he needs.......

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I'm still unsure whether the DVD has gone on sale in the UK. I've certainly not seen the film itself advertised at local cinemas.

Not available in the uk at the moment,but i have just ordered a copy from Canada maybe an option for you

I agree that Passchendaele was generally disappointing with its cliches, stereotypical British bungler, tacked on romance, etc.. Although I enjoyed The Trench and Gallipoli, I think it is fair to say that we still await a big budget production depicting the Great War in Ypres or the Somme in a vivid and satisfactory fashion. It is remarkable that there are so few good Great War films. An obvious point is that US producers are unlikely to express interest since the Great War seems to be a hard sell for American audiences. But I am surprised that no British director has taken on the task. Surely an epic film about the 1st of July 1916 would attract interest and there are no shortage of great dramatic stories emerging from that day just waiting to be recorded on celluloid. Just my thoughts.

Steve,

When I took a group to Ypres (US college students) I used a video for basic background -- I just dug it out.

It was a Tyne Tees production Copyright 1999. It is part 3 of a 3 part series "Great Battles of the Great War" Vol 3 is on Ypres.

I only have it on VHS. As I recall (it has been a couple of years since I saw it) it is a decent basic introduction... but a traditional documentary using archive film, it lasts 56 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestion Chris.

I do possess this. It's worthy but rather plodding. I use in class to establish a working narrative of the battle, but its not one to get the average 15 year old enthused on a long bus journey.

Steve

Although it has its weaknesses as a series and does look dated in parts I still think that the best World War One action scenes can be found in the 1980s Aussie TV series 'Anzacs'. In particular the Battle of Broodseinde pillbox attack sequence gives a very good idea of Passchendaele-era tactics, despite the fact that it's an atypical 'pillbox-with-a-slit'. As I've commented on other threads they obviously had very good military technical advisers on that series and there are some excellent trench fighting and open warfare sequences as well. 'Bluey' the Lewis Gunner is worth the price of admission alone.

Although it has its weaknesses as a series and does look dated in parts I still think that the best World War One action scenes can be found in the 1980s Aussie TV series 'Anzacs'. In particular the Battle of Broodseinde pillbox attack sequence gives a very good idea of Passchendaele-era tactics, despite the fact that it's an atypical 'pillbox-with-a-slit'. As I've commented on other threads they obviously had very good military technical advisers on that series and there are some excellent trench fighting and open warfare sequences as well. 'Bluey' the Lewis Gunner is worth the price of admission alone.

Seconded... 'ANZACs' was a series I really enjoyed. Paul Hogan was very entertaining.

Must try and find a copy so I can watch it again. Thanks for the reminder.