Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Merchant Navy

Crazy_Moo129

I recently read somewhere that some WW1 medals were awarded to some Merchant Seamen. Is this true? I've been led to beleive that if they served on more than 1 trip during the war, that they were entitled to the victory and the british medal.

I'm hoping to find someone that served in the Merchant Navy in WW1, i understand that most of these records have been destroyed over the years.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are medal rolls out there?

Many Thanks

Joanne

Merchant Seamen had to claim their medals (unlike most of the Armed Service other ranks who were issued with them); the Index of First World War Mercantile Marine Medals and the British War Medal is on microfiche in BT 351. So far these are not online. They could also qualify for the 1914/15 Star and Victory Medal if they joined the Mercantile Marine Reserve or other services. The medal rolls for Mercantile Marine Reserve: Ratings are in alphabetical order on microfilm from ADM 171/130 to ADM 171/133.

Records of service have been lost for before 1918. Here's the link for UK National Archives research guide for seamen (there is a seperate one for officers)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...tm&lBack=-1

Joanne,

There is certainly one medal issued to seamen in WW1, it is known as the "British Mercantile Marine War Medal" and the criteria is as follows.

"Awarded by the Board of Trade to members of the Merchant Navy who had undertaken one or more voyages through a war or danger zone 1914 - 1918"

The area around the British Isles qualifying as a war or danger zone would mean many sailors would qualify, although a total of only 133,000 were issued against a total of 6,500,000 for the British War Medal which was received by all active participants in the conflict.

It was an attractive medal and ribbon, the latter being Red,White,Green from left to right representing port (red) and Starboard (Green), the King's head one side and a ship bearing down on a u-boat on the other.

Ray.

I was hoping it wouldn't mean a trip to Kew but one must make sacrifices :rolleyes:

Unfortunately i don't know anything about his career, only his name. So i think it's going to take long time to go through all the records... and that's if he claimed his medals!

Thanks for all your help though!!

Regards

Joanne

The index cards are in alphabetical order, so are the seamen's registers/ service records. The originals for the latter are in Southampton (see contact details on the link), so you don't need to go for Kew for those. I'm not sure of they also hold the original Medal Index Cards, but you could ask.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

There is also the "Mercantile Marine Silver War Badge" which was for Merchant Navy Crew who had been wounded and were unable to continue there work on ship or shore.There are some details in Kew but I'm not sure of facts except there were some 1,150,000 Bdges issued.I have a list of the first 158 Badges issued,Number 19 was My Grandfather 3rd Engineer S.S.Sagamore Torpedoed 150 miles west of Fastnet Rock 3rd March 1917.17 in a lifeboat rescued by the S.S.Deucalion (Blue Funnel) only 5 or 7 survivors.On the 12th March 1917.They were landed at Capetown South Africa.5 immediately had both their feet amputated due to Frostbite and gangrene.My Grand father must have been alright this is why I can't find out whether it was 5 or 7 survivors as My Mum said she could just remember he was in a lot of pain when he arrived home.But the records I have from veterans.help@gsi.gov.ukem show his operations started in 1920 and continues till 1922 or23.When they finallt removed his lower legs to an inch or so below his knees.If anyone wants to email me I will try to give them the info I have about Kew.Best Regards Ken B

There is certainly one medal issued to seamen in WW1, it is known as the "British Mercantile Marine War Medal" and the criteria is as follows.

"Awarded by the Board of Trade to members of the Merchant Navy who had undertaken one or more voyages through a war or danger zone 1914 - 1918"

The area around the British Isles qualifying as a war or danger zone would mean many sailors would qualify, although a total of only 133,000 were issued against a total of 6,500,000 for the British War Medal which was received by all active participants in the conflict.

The MMWM was always awarded in conjuction with the BWM so all eligible Merchant seamen would receive @ least those two medals...

HB.

post-2388-1238958684.jpg

Depending on where I look, I see slightly different criteria for the award of this medal.

Some sources say that recipients had to be already entitled to the British War Medal, and the qualification for that was at least six months service in the Mercantile Marine between 4th August 1914 and 11th November 1918.

If you met that criterion, then you had to provide evidence for at least one voyage through a war or danger zone to qualify for the MMWM.

Is there an absolutely authoritative definition of the criteria anywhere?

Also, I'd like to know whether the award of the BWM and MMWM to a merchant seaman was automatic or whether each individual had to apply. Also, whether the BWM was awarded by application to the BoT or to the MoD (i.e. did the seaman have to apply to two different places, or only one?).

I'm very interested in this, because I'm having BT 351 checked for some names at this very moment.

Noel

Noel

Is there an absolutely authoritative definition of the criteria anywhere?

Also, I'd like to know whether the award of the BWM and MMWM to a merchant seaman was automatic or whether each individual had to apply. Also, whether the BWM was awarded by application to the BoT or to the MoD (i.e. did the seaman have to apply to two different places, or only one?).

Gordon's British Battles & Medals 7th Edition is comprehensive, but I don't have my copy to hand.

Unlike most other medals the seamen had to apply for them by application to the BoT. To complicate matters it was possible for the seaman to qualify for the 1914/15 Star & Victory Medal too, if they had come under the Admiralty (for example in the Mercantile Marine Reserve). In that case there is normally a note on the index card to show that the BWM was inssued by the RN or ADM. There was no MoD at this time.

Merchant Seamen had to claim their medals (unlike most of the Armed Service other ranks who were issued with them); the Index of First World War Mercantile Marine Medals and the British War Medal is on microfiche in BT 351. So far these are not online. They could also qualify for the 1914/15 Star and Victory Medal if they joined the Mercantile Marine Reserve or other services. The medal rolls for Mercantile Marine Reserve: Ratings are in alphabetical order on microfilm from ADM 171/130 to ADM 171/133.

Records of service have been lost for before 1918. Here's the link for UK National Archives research guide for seamen (there is a seperate one for officers)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...tm&lBack=-1

Hi,

Is this the British War Medal?

post-32240-1239111273.jpg

It belonged to a member of the Merchant Marine who also received the British Mercantile Marine War Medal and sadly the Dead Man's penny...

-Daniel

• 8 months later...