Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sir Guy Edmund Tulloch Bainbridge

shikari sahib

Hi there,

I'm new of this forum, I'm from Rome,Italy.

I'm a Militaria collector and some years ago I came on a tunic that should belong to Sir Guy Edmund Tulloch Bainbridge , it is a General tunic with medal ribbons, I have found some little infos on the National Archives and on Hart annual list, is there anybody that could help me in found as much infos on him ?

also I would like to have an help in recognize all the ribbons on his tunic.

I'll post the ribbons in next post.

thanks for the help,

Piero

As he was commander of 25th Division I tried to dig out information on him, but there is little other than the information given above and references in diaries and letters of people in his Division. The diaries of Brigadier General Alexander Johnston (I have to own to an interest in this as I edited the published version) gives some information as does my little work on the 1st Battalion Wiltshire Regiment in the Great War. (There is a copy of this on Abebooks, but the Wiltshire Regimental Museum sell them for far less. Hope forum members will forgive the 'plug'. I'd be delighted to hear more of him. And, by the way, the Official History has references.

Regards

Edwin

Major General Sir Edmond Guy Tulloch Bainbridge

Eldest son of Colonel Sir Edmond Bainbridge KCB RA of Normanhurst, Sheringham, Norfolk. Born 1867. Educate, Marlborough and the Royal Military College. Married 1904, Alice May daughter of Colonel MH Goldie RE of Wallington Lodge, Fareham. Served with the Dongola expedition, 1896, Nile expeditions 1897-98 and South African War 1899-1900, GSO Grade 1. Western Command 1912. Commanding 112 Infantry Brigade, 1915-16, 25th Division France 1916-18 and 1st Division, Aldershot Command, 1919-23. Retired 1923. Major General 1917. KCB 1918. Commander Legion d Honnour, Criox de Guerre with palm. Order of the Medejie 3rd class (Egypt). Address (1931) Bartlemey Cottage, Newbury, Berkshire.

TR

Major General Sir Edmond Guy Tulloch Bainbridge

Eldest son of Colonel Sir Edmond Bainbridge KCB RA of Normanhurst, Sheringham, Norfolk. Born 1867. Educate, Marlborough and the Royal Military College. Married 1904, Alice May daughter of Colonel MH Goldie RE of Wallington Lodge, Fareham. Served with the Dongola expedition, 1896, Nile expeditions 1897-98 and South African War 1899-1900, GSO Grade 1. Western Command 1912. Commanding 112 Infantry Brigade, 1915-16, 25th Division France 1916-18 and 1st Division, Aldershot Command, 1919-23. Retired 1923. Major General 1917. KCB 1918. Commander Legion d Honnour, Criox de Guerre with palm. Order of the Medejie 3rd class (Egypt). Address (1931) Bartlemey Cottage, Newbury, Berkshire.

TR

thanks Terry, and thanks to all who have posted,

Piero

• 2 years later...

Piero

Please would you kindly contact me about the uniform of Sir Guy Bainbridge?

I have some information which will be helpful for you.

many thanks,

Norfolkvic

simon.stalham@btinternet.com

• Admin

Simon

Piero hasn't been active on here for over 2 years, you might be able to email him.

Regards, Michelle

Here is his entry in Soldiers of the Nile by Henry Keown-Boyd.

post-48147-0-48070300-1304960922.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is his entry in Soldiers of the Nile by Henry Keown-Boyd.

MANY THANKS for your help. I will try that and see is I can

make contact with him.# Here is his medal group excluding his KCB.

best wishes,

Simon (Norfolkvic)post-25974-0-46953100-1309211336.jpg

[

Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (Military) not shown here.

Commander of the Order of the Medjidie (Turkey),

Commander of the Order of the Legoin of Honour (France),

Queen's Sudan Medal,

Queen's South Africa Medal,

1914-15 Star, British War & Victory Medals with despatches,

Officer of the Legoin of Honour (France),

Croix de Geurre with palm (France),

Khedive's Sudan Medal with 3 bars.

Here he is wearing his awards and medals:-

post-25974-0-54752100-1309211777.jpg

Simon

Thanks for the photo of BAINBRIDGE's medals which I have added to my virtual archive.

For those who may not have access to Part 2 of the Half Yearly Army List December 1922 - then here are details of BAINBRIDGE's War Service.

post-48147-0-48695300-1309330795.jpg

He commanded the 25th Division between 4th June 1916 to 3rd August 1918. There is a useful synopsis of the 25th Division in Part 3B of the Order of Battle of Divisions, which includes composition of the Division and Battles in which it participated.

SORRY Piero Pompili but the system says I am unable to respond to your

invitation for a personal conversation, nor can I send messages to

members due to an error. I have contacted the site for advice but have received

none.

So please send a message to me at:-

simon.stalham@btinternet.com

many thanks,

Simon (silvpug)

• 3 years later...
Guest sarahbguest

I am interested in using the photo of the order of the Medejie which is in the upper right hand corner of the medal group above. Has a red ribbon. Would like to use it as part of an art "slideshow" on a website for two books whose main character received one after service in the Crimean war. If anyone can point in the right direction as to who owns it so I may contact them it would be much appreciated.

Part of the query being that being not that well versed yet in your forum threads I am not sure who the photo was posted by

Thank you!