Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

345 Brigade RFA D. Sub. D Battery

tenlas

Hi I'm new on here so apologies in advance if I have got it wrong.

I'm looking for info on the 345 Brigade RFA D. Sub. D Battery I have put a search on these pages and looked through the sister site but the brigade numbers do not have that particular number. I have found it on an old photo from a family album. It also has C375 which I took to be the photo ID.

Can anybody give me some information on the brigade? Am I likely to be able to find any info on my relation with only a name and no number? He did survive the war.

Regards

Keith

Welcome to the forum Keith. If you post his name and number if you know it I'm certain you will get some info.

Diane

I have not found any number, his name was Thomas Walter Paskall or Pascall. The only other item I have found is a Field Service Post Card dated 29/12/16 addressed to England so I assume he was in France.

Keith

Steve

So far I only have one member of 345 Bde on my database

C345[/size]33MILLER , W Anzin-St Aubin BritCem

It is possible that 345 Bde were a Army Field Artillery Brigade but that I cannot be sure, a lot of the Territorial Batteries were given numbers in May 1916, 'D' Batteries were often split from their original brigades and sent to form/join other brigades.

Someone will no doubt be more precise.

Regards

Paul

Steve

So far I only have one member of 345 Bde on my database

C345[/size]33MILLER , W Anzin-St Aubin BritCem

It is possible that 345 Bde were a Army Field Artillery Brigade but that I cannot be sure, a lot of the Territorial Batteries were given numbers in May 1916, 'D' Batteries were often split from their original brigades and sent to form/join other brigades.

Someone will no doubt be more precise.

Regards

Paul

Thanks Steve,

I hope as you say somebody will have something. Should I also put it in the Soldier Look up forum as well or will it be seen from here?

Regards

Keith

I might have found out a bit more. There was a Thomas Pascall medal record on the National archive web site. But there is no way of telling if it is my man. He is in the RFA as a driver but no more detail other than his number 876309.

I thought the attached picture indicated regiment etc but I think it is just a roll number for the medal issue.post-32783-1234720635.jpg

345th Brigade, RFA TF (originally 2/1st E Anglican Brigade, RFA TF) was part of the 69th (2nd/E Anglican Division. Up to May 1916 the Brigade has only three batteries, A, B, and C. On 19 May 1916 347th Brigade was broken up and A Battery of that brigade became D (H) Battery of 345th Brigade, RFA TF. 345th Brigade, RFA TF was broken up on 26 December 1916 and D (H) Battery, 345th Brigade, RFA TF became D (H) Battery, 348th Brigade, RFA TF. The War Diary for 348th Brigade, RFA TF for that period has unfortunately not been found. Regards, Dick Flory

876309 would be in the range of regimental numbers for men assigned to the 2/1 East Anglican Brigade, RFA TF (later 345th Brigade, RFA TF). Dick Flory

Your last thought is the correct one. RFA and RGA batteries/brigades are famously difficult to trace, but there are wizards around who sometimes can identify units from a soldier's number.

You might be better reposting in Soldiers, without the medal roll reference in the heading.

Are there any more RFA Thoms Pascalls in the NA indexes?

D

Your last thought is the correct one. RFA and RGA batteries/brigades are famously difficult to trace, but there are wizards around who sometimes can identify units from a soldier's number.

You might be better reposting in Soldiers, without the medal roll reference in the heading.

Are there any more RFA Thoms Pascalls in the NA indexes?

D

He was the only one on the NA index.

As you suggested I have now posted on the soldier forum.