Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Findlay - Kiwi in the RFC/East Surrey Regiment

Mark Brewer

Hi,

I'm trying to find information on James Lloyd Findlay who was awarded the Legion of Honour for actions at Huluch with the East Surrey Regiment. I know this was on 13 September based on the attached cutting (please excuse the sellotape marks on it) but which year did this occur? He was also awarded the MC and then wounded on the Somme in July 1916.

Also can anyone tell me anything about his RFC service? I can't find him in any of the RFC/RAF communiques books. What squadron was he with, was he a pilot, did he score any victories, was he wounded etc? Any details of his Army service, including the circumstances of his earlier awards would also be greatly appreciated.

I am aware that after transferring to the RAF he was demobbed in Aug 1921 and was one of the first officers to join the New Zealand Permanent Air Force at Wigram in 1923. He commanded Base Wigram from 1926 to 1938 and was attached to the RAF in 1930-31 and again from 1938 to 1941 when he commanded 48 Squadron and Hooton Park Station. He returned to New Zealand to serve as a staff officer (nominally Deputy Chief of Air Staff) and then Commander Central Group before proceeding as an Air Commodore and Air Attache to Washington DC. CBE in 1944.

He has the following (thanks Graeme for the assistance so far):

FINDLAY, James Lloyd, Temporary Lieutenant, East Surrey Regiment, (Reserve Battalions). (L.G.) 01/01/16 Mentioned in Despatches

FINDLAY, James Lloyd, Temporary Lieutenant, East Surrey Regiment, (Reserve Battalions). (L.G.) 03/06/16 M.C.

FINDLAY, James Lloyd, Temporary Captain, East Surrey Regiment, (Reserve Battalions). (L.G.) 01/05/17 Legion of Honour, Knight (France)

FINDLAY, James Lloyd, Squadron Leader, M.C., Sockburn. 1935 King's Silver Jubilee Medal, (G. V.)

FINDLAY, James Lloyd, Squadron Leader, M.C., Christchurch. 1937 Coronation Medal (G. VI)

FINDLAY, James Lloyd, Acting Air Commodore, M.C., Royal New Zealand Air Force, New Zealand Air Mission, Washington. (L.G.) 08/06/44 C.B.E. Mil (Additional Commander)

I've also seen reference to a second mention in despatches and a Croix de Guerre (Fr) but can't find either in the London Gazette.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Mark

post-43848-1234290042.jpg

His photo. Once again sorry about the stellotape that someone used it to fix the tear in this issue of the newpaper. If anyone has a better one I'd greatly appreciate a copy.

Mark

post-43848-1234290416.jpg

Welcome to the forum Mark,

If John Wilfred Findlay served in the British Army, this might be his service record: WO 339/17527 FINDLAY J W, Capt

Unfortunately James Lloyd Findlay's records are probably still closed in Britain, because he continued serving after the cut off period.

If you know the battalion number you can possibly glean some information from the battalion war diaries for his army service.

A cricketer too

James Findlay

New Zealand

Full name James Lloyd Findlay

Born October 6, 1895, Wellington

Died March 17, 1983, Westminster, London, England (aged 87 years 162 days)

Major teams Canterbury

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Slow left-arm orthodox

Played 1925-1926 season

per http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/newzealand/...ayer/37040.html

and

http://www.cricket-online.com/player.php?player_id=64808

Surprised not to find an obit in The Times - maybe it's the dodgy search engine??

Cheers

Sue

This report from the Grey River Argus, 13 November 1915, Page 3 gives a different date for his winning the L of H and some interesting background

post-16016-1234427528.jpg

post-16016-1234427548.jpg

Cheers

Sue

Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate the information provided. I'm unsure which battalion he served with, but would be interested if anyone happens to track down the citation for the MC. His CBE citation is as follows:

"Air Commodore Findlay served in Imperial Regiments until he joined the Royal Flying Corps as a Captain in March 1917, and was awarded the Military Cross, the Legion of Honour, and was twice Mentioned in Despatches for service in the last war. He joined the RNZAF as a Captain in 1923, and has served continuously in various administrative posts, reaching the rank of Wing Commander in January 1938, when he proceeded for attachment to the Royal Air Force as an inter-change officer. Shortly after his arrival in the UK he was given command of No 48 Squadron and 14 months later appointed Commanding Officer of RAF Station Hooton Park. He returned to New Zealand in August 1941 when he held the rank of Group Captain. After service at the Air Department as Deputy Chief of the Air Staff he was appointed Air Officer Commanding Central Group in September 1942."

Died Richmond, Surrey England 17 Mar 1983, Air Cdre Findlay's only child was a spitfire pilot killed in action over Yugoslavia on 12 Jan 1944.