Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SCOTTISH SERVICE RETURNS - OFFER TO LOOKUP - 10/02/09

alf mcm

The Scottish Service Returns are held at New Register House in Edinburgh, and are lists of Scottish born soldiers who died outwith Scotland during the Great War. This includes soldiers who died Overseas, but does not, as far as I know, include Officers.

Entries are on separate pages for each Regiment/Battalion, and then in alphabetical order for each soldier. Each soldier has a one line entry detailing Service number, Name, Rank, Date of death, Place of death & Cause of death. For the majority of soldiers who served overseas the place of death is ‘F&F’ and cause of death is ‘KIA’. However, some entries do give more information.

I will be at New Register House on Tuesday, 10/02/09, and will look up any names requested to see what information there is. I would suggest a maximum of 5 names per person, due to limited time. I must know the soldier’s Name and year of death. It would also help to have his Regiment, rank, service number and exact date of death if this is known. These service returns cannot be printed or photographed, so all information must be hand copied.

David, I will look up the following for you:-

William Henry Wells died Germany 19 Feb 1919 Sapper, 409th Lowland Field Company, Royal Engineers Service #: 412176

John Frearson died in France 24 Oct 1916 Lance Corporal, 14th Bn, Highland Light Infantry Service Number: 28888

Herbert Frearson died in Belgium 8 Jul 1917 Private, 18th Bn, Highland Light Infantry Service Number: 36561

Regards,

Alf McM

could you posibly look up

PRIVATE ANDREW HOOD 22440

2ND BATTALION ROYAL SCOTS

DIED 26/9/17.

THANK YOU,GARY THOMSON

The Scottish Service Returns are held at New Register House in Edinburgh, and are lists of Scottish born soldiers who died outwith Scotland during the Great War. This includes soldiers who died Overseas, but does not, as far as I know, include Officers.

Entries are on separate pages for each Regiment/Battalion, and then in alphabetical order for each soldier. Each soldier has a one line entry detailing Service number, Name, Rank, Date of death, Place of death & Cause of death. For the majority of soldiers who served overseas the place of death is 'F&F' and cause of death is 'KIA'. However, some entries do give more information.

I will be at New Register House on Tuesday, 10/02/09, and will look up any names requested to see what information there is. I would suggest a maximum of 5 names per person, due to limited time. I must know the soldier's Name and year of death. It would also help to have his Regiment, rank, service number and exact date of death if this is known. These service returns cannot be printed or photographed, so all information must be hand copied.

David, I will look up the following for you:-

William Henry Wells died Germany 19 Feb 1919 Sapper, 409th Lowland Field Company, Royal Engineers Service #: 412176

John Frearson died in France 24 Oct 1916 Lance Corporal, 14th Bn, Highland Light Infantry Service Number: 28888

Herbert Frearson died in Belgium 8 Jul 1917 Private, 18th Bn, Highland Light Infantry Service Number: 36561

Regards,

Alf McM

Alf,

Could you look up one name for men to see if there is any additional info.

David Carr D.O.W. 21st June 1915 Sjt 1st Battalion Black Watch no.342

Thanks

Rob.

Would you look up this man please.

Private Harry Dillon, Black Watch Regiment number 3/2571 died 25 September 1915 remembered at the Loos Memorial.

Thanks,

Stuarty

Hi Stuarty

Your mans name is Henry.

2nd Battalion Royal Highlanders B/W.

Henry Dillon

Brn-Culfeaghtrim,Bally Castle,Co Antrim.

Enls-Lochgelly,Fifeshire.

No-3/2571

Pte.

K.I.A-25/9/1915

allthe best Gary.F.

Alf McM

This is a very generous offer by you, thanks a lot. I have five names. The are all from the same family and all brothers. All five of them!

Alexander Cranston, DOB 8 Feb 1879 Service No. 103604, Royal Engineers (84th Field Coy), Sgt, DOD 26 Mar 1918, buried at Pozieres

John Buchan Cranston, DOB 3 April 1882, Servicxe No. 5651, QOCH (7th Bat) CSM, DOD 16 July 1916, buried at Vermelles

William Cranston, DOB 20 Jan 1884, S/N 645910, Territorial Force, fmly 7th Seaforth Highlanders, (51st Divisional Ammunition Column), Driver, DOD 25 July 1918, Terlincthun Brit. Cemetery, Wimille

James Buchan Cranston, DOB 1 July 1887, S/N 69417, Royal Engineers, sapper, DOD 18 May 1916, Haddingnton Cemetery, Scotland

Adam Lindsay Cranston, DOB 12 Feb 1889, S/N (1069?), 8th Royal Scots, L/Corp, DOD, 13 November 1916, buried at Serre Road Cemetery, Serre Les Puisieux.

Once again, thank you so much

Stuart

Hi. could you please look up the following man his is Private Daniel Hendry, A.S.C 21124 or Labour Corps 349249 he died in Salonika 21-10-1917. I would like to know cause of death please.

Thanks

Thank you. Could you do this man, as what happened to him is something of a mystery, KIA India is seldom seen.

143588 Sapper Hugh Marshall 72 Field Company Royal Engineers - KIA 30/1/17 India

Born: Hawick Roxburghshire

Enlisted: Galashiels

Lived: Hawick

I strongly suspect he died at Kut as that is what his unit was doing on the day, however cannot prove it.

I will add all the names above to the list.

John,

These records don't show those who survived the war, but if they died after the war of war related injuries, in Scotland, then they should have a regular death certificate. Ther are no records for prisoners of war.

Regards,

Alf

Hi Alf

Could you please add this lad to your list.

76795 Sapper Archibald Ferguson died Oct 1918 G Corps RE Sigs Coy,Resident Glasgow.

Thanks

Ady

Hi Alf,

my man was hidden from the Germans in Le Cateau for 2 years before being betrayed. He then served 2 years in Cassel. He survived the war and married a French girl. It's really good of you to offer your time to help other researchers. Well done mate.

John

Hi Alf

Could you please add this lad to your list.

76795 Sapper Archibald Ferguson died Oct 1918 G Corps RE Sigs Coy,Resident Glasgow.

Thanks

Ady

Ady,

I'll add the name to the list.

Regards,

Alf

Alf,

I would appreciate info on the following 5 Royal Engineers, if you could fit it in.

Spr ROBERT CUNNINGHAM (262403) 328 Q Coy. Died 18/11/17.

Spr ALEXANDER DAVIDSON (WR29632) 325 Q Coy. Died 5/10/18.

Spr WILLIAM HALL (262225 or 262205) 324 Q Coy. Died 8/1/18.

L/Cpl WILLIAM KEIR (261994 or 261904) 325 Q Coy. Died 13/07/17.

Cpl. FRANCIS LOCKARD (260377) 323 Q Coy. Died 14/04/17.

I have never heard of this source of information before. When, why and who compiled it?

Cheers,

Dave

Hello Alf

Many thanks for your kind offer.

Please look up

David Ireland Meikle #43461, 12th Batallion, Highland Light Infantry, formerly #257 Royal Scots died 25/7/1917

Hi Alf

Any chance of a look up for the following:

KIDDIE, Matthew, Household Battalion, 3244, TPR., Killed in action, France & Flanders, 19/12/17.

KIDDIE, Robert Matthew, 30239, PRIVATE, Died, France & Flanders, 01/07/18, King's Own Scottish Borderers, 6th Battalion.

KIDDIE, Andrew Moyes, 267920, PRIVATE, Killed in action, France & Flanders, 19/07/18, Black Watch (Royal Highlanders), 8th (Service) Battalion.

Thanks

Jason

Dave/Unitedsound/Jason,

I will add all these names.

Dave,

These records are of Scottish born servicemen, and women, who died, for whatever reason, whilst serving overseas. They are on seperate pages for each Regiment, and I think are compiled into books. As far as I know, they are only available at New Register House in Edinburgh, where all Scottish death records are held, and can generally only be viewed on a computer monitor. They cannot be printed, but if you use the Scotlandspeople website you can access them {look under 'Minor Records}, and you can print off each page, at a cost of 1 credit for a search, and 5 credits for the record. 30 credits can be bought for £6.00.

Regards,

Alf

Chris,

They are generally the same, but sometimes the cause of death is more explicit, i.e. 'accidentally drowned' instead of 'died'. They are also, of course, confirmation that the soldier was born in Scotland.

Regards,

Alf

They are also, of course, confirmation that the soldier was born in Scotland.

Regards,

Alf

That could be key if your trying to identify an individual from 2 or 3 possible lads.

It looks like your going to have a busy day my friend.

Well done.

John

Sorry everyone,

Due to unforseen family commitments I will not be at New Register House on 10/02/09. All your requests will, however, be dealt with next month. There is no need to re-post your requests.

Also, no more requests please, until after my next visit.

Regards,

Alf

Hi Alf,

Could you look up the following soldier for me? His details are:

91322 Driver Joseph Boyle Hutchison (may be spelled Hutchinson), 4th (or 39th) Air Line Section, Royal Engineers.

Died in Salonika, 18 October 1918, and buried in Doiran Cemetery.

Thank you!