Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Granda

EAnnP

Hi

I have been a visitor on the Forum for the last few months and I am delighted now to be a member. I have found the Forum very friendly, interesting and informative.

I have been recently researching my Granda, William John Bankhead, during World War 1. So far I have found out that he enlisted in January 1916 in Ballymena, Co Antrim, Northern Ireland. He was attached to the 20th Reserve Batallion of the Royal Irish Rifles. I got his Medal Index Cards and discovered he served with the First Batallion of the Royal Irish Rifles and was awarded the Military Medal. I got his name in The London Gazette dated 10th June, 1919 (supplement 17th June, 1919).

He was a lovely Granda and lived until 1972. He seldom talked about his war experience.

I would be grateful for any additional information about him and in particular when he was likely to have won his Military Medal and why the Medal Card had 'returned' marked on it and would it be possible to reclaim this medal?

Thank you very much

Ann

Ann

welcome to the forum

Des (Desmond7) is your man for B'Mena.

He's now one of the 'grown ups' but a cracking fella.

Wait and see.

David

From Ballymena website below:

64th list 1,372 Patriotic Men

This week's recruiting: 20th Btn Royal Irish Rifles: Rfn. David McConnell, Railway Street; William Gordon, Robert McAuley, Ballymarlow; Robert Foster, Dunnyvadden; W, J. Bankead, Ballee; Samuel Gamble, Kells. 4th Btn RIR - Hugh Gribben, Alexander Street; 10th R. Dublin Fus. David Kernohan, Ballymena.

Ballymena Observer, January 7 1916

and

Captain John Wilson, RAMC, Alexandra House, Ballymena was home on leave during the last week.

Captain R. A. Hepple, RAMC and Lt. T.R. Hepple RFC, sons of Mr. W. S. Hepple, Wellington Street, Ballymena are both home on leave.

Other Ballymena men home from the front are:- Sgt. R. Barr, R.Irish Rifles, Princes Street; Pte. Hugh Smith, Hope Street Terrace; Sgt. J. Nesbitt, Irish Guards; Cpl. Archie Devlin, R. Innis. Fus., Bridge Street and Rfn. W. J. Bankhead, R. Irish Rifles.

Ballymena Observer, October 12, 1917

20th Btn. = home based unit essentially used for training up replacements for the overseas Btns. Anyone out there got Jimmy Taylor's book on the 1st Royal Irish Rifles? I have 2nd Btn book.

Could you post details of the MM? If you had even a 'rough date' for the relevant action I can look up some additional material.

Also - can confirm he is named amongst the MM winners of 1st R Ir Rifles (included in the roll which features at back of Falls' History of the First Seven Battalions of the Regt. in WW1).

I am VERY interested in this story. I have details on most of the local medal winners ... I think your man's late gazette date probably meant he slipped past me in the newspaper research.

Quick tip ... google NEELB, local studies department, Ballymena ... once you have phone number, ring and ask for a lovely lady called Liz Hoy .. ask her if she can check the microfiche for Ballymena Observer (date relevant to gazette) or the Ballymena Weekly Telegraph (same scenario) ... you MAY be lucky and find they have some account of why medal was awarded.

and if you do nail him down, I'd love to hear details to add to site.

des

W J's signature on Ulster Covenent (you can google for PRONI Ulster Covenant) and use search terms ... other Bankheads on it as well.

Des

post-1582-1232972751.jpg

Dear Des

Thank you very much for getting back to me. As my Granda seldom talked about the War my mum doesn't have many details but she does know that he got the MM for running out of the trenches and pulling a soldier back in (apparently he got into a bit of trouble for endangering his own life). We really don't know where he won it but because of the lateness of the London Gazette it would seem it was an action towards the end of the war.

I have arranged to ring Liz Hoy after lunch so I will get back to you asap.

My cousin Wilfie, who still lives in Ballymena, sparked my interest in Granda's War record so I phoned him to tell him about your replies, and he is also very excited.

Thank you so much.

Ann

Ann

welcome to the forum

Des (Desmond7) is your man for B'Mena.

He's now one of the 'grown ups' but a cracking fella.

Wait and see.

David

Dear David

Thank you for getting back to me.

Des has been in touch and already has been giving me information.

It is very exciting.

Thanks again

Ann

Bit more lateral thinking - your man served with 1st Rifles ... who were :-

3 February 1918 : transferred to 107th Brigade in 36th (Ulster) Division. (source Long Long Trail)

So I checked up the Gallantry Medal listings for the 36th ... and bingo, there's W.J. duly noted. Which means, he must have won his medal sometime between Feb. 1918 and end of war in November (one assumes). Now, if you wish to read what 1st Royal Irish Rifles were doing in that period - bear in mind it will be a broad brush picture - check out the relevant dates here:-

http://www.freewebs.com/denbob/

Des - p.s. does the name Les Gray mean anything to you?

3 February 1918 : transferred to 107th Brigade in 36th (Ulster) Division. (source Long Long Trail)

So I checked up the Gallantry Medal listings for the 36th ... and bingo, there's W.J. duly noted. Which means, he must have won his medal sometime between Feb. 1918 and end of war in November (one assumes). Now, if you wish to read what 1st Royal Irish Rifles were doing in that period - bear in mind it will be a broad brush picture - check out the relevant dates here:-

Dear Des

Thanks for the additional info - I will go onto that website.

Yes Les Gray from 'Mud' was my Uncle Tommy's (Clarke) nephew. Tommy Clarke was married to my Auntie Jean who is my mum's sister - my Granda's daughters.

His Medal Index Card has written on it

'Military Medal Retd (992.K.R.1923) 8362/Adt.

It lists his regimental number as 20/79 and his rank as Private.

The medals are Victory Roll B/104B page 30

British " "

I have enclosed a copy of his Military Medal Card.

Granda was a Railway Engine Driver.

Many thanks

Ann

War_Forum_MM.doc

Des--In James Taylors Book--1sr Royal Irish Rifles--W.J.Bankhead awarded Military Medal---17/06/1919

Wesley Wright

His Medal Index Card has written on it

'Military Medal Retd (992.K.R.1923) 8362/Adt.

Ann - I think he returned his medal(s?) for adjustment, under Kings Regulations 1923, Para 992, which means there was probably an error in the details impressed on the rim. They may have spelled something wrong?

His number 79 .. ties in with all other references.

Wesley - ta for the cross-check. Cookstown book is top class BTW.

Hi

Just a thought.

The following men from the 1st Battallion Royal Irish Rifles were in the Supplement to The London Gazette 17 June 1919.

8719 Coy./S.M. Greene, J.,(Belfast)

14319 Sit.Courtney, WR (Belfast)

85 Cpl Ferguson, J. (Newtownards)

6177 Cpl. Leathem, J., (Arklow)

8193 Cpl. Willott, J. (Milton, Staffs)

2254 Pte. Ashe E., (Muckamore)

40664 Pte Brown, A.,(Fencehouses)

22539 Pte Cherry, H (Belfast)

47307 Pte. House,W R. (Wellington)

2260 Pte Humphreys R., (Hammersmith)

22156 Pte McDonald J. (Cambuslang)

50020 Pte Nash E N. (Brighton)

20229 Pte Savage W. (Paisley)

13817 Pte Warnock J (Belfast)

If we knew where and when some of these men won their Military Medals would it bring us closer to finding out when,where and why Granda won his?

Many thanks

Ann

In answer to your question, Ann, "Yes, probably, but not always."

Steve.

Having cross checked local medal winners with (roughly) the same gazette date .. I woukd hazard (and I mean HAZARD) a guess at the more fluid Battles around Courtrai area late September early October 1918. Last gasp .. try searching for forum member Jimmy Taylor?

Hi

I forgot to ask why my Granda's regimental number was 79. This seems a very small number in comparison to most other soldiers. Would there have been a reason for this?

Many thanks

Ann

Thanks Des for your continued interest. Will concentrate on events around that time.

I will try to find Jimmy Taylor. I bought his book and am reading it at the moment.

Ann

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I was just wondering why in my Granda's photo his belt buckle is in the shape of an 's' yet other RIR battalions have ordinary shaped belt buckles.

Would there be a reason for this.

Many thanks

Ann