Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NIEDERZWEHREN CEMETERY

fritz

Hello to all waiting for desired pics,

today I was able to take the pics in Niederzwehren. It was a cloudy and wet Sunday and I hope you will be content with their quality.

Frederick Riley should have a new tombstone.

Best wishes

Fritz

post-12337-1232461512.jpg

post-12337-1232461544.jpg

W. Morey. Not easy to red.

Captain Parfitt

And finally Frederick Riley

Hello to all waiting for desired pics,

today I was able to take the pics in Niederzwehren. It was a cloudy and wet Sunday and I hope you will be content with their quality.

Frederick Riley should have a new tombstone.

Best wishes

Fritz

Hi Fritz

Many thanks for the picture of Lieut Dennistoun. The quality's terrific.

Best regards

MacM

Fritz,

I hope you don't mind if I take a copy of the photo for 2nd Lieutenant C R Frith?

They are lovely photos - it's much appreciated, thank you!!

Hello,

if you want a better quality please send me your email-address and I would like to give you a pic with higher resolution!

Here comes a general view of Niederzwehren cemetery in winter.

Kind regards

Fritz

Here it is.

Hi

I thread 've just seen this and please, please could you get me the following

27899 Pte Thomas Mercer,

Border Regiment (Formerly 34239 Manch. Regt.)

d. 08/10/1918

Niederzwehren Cemetery, Germany

IV.M.13.

and

12054 Pte. Edgar Jarman,

Border Regiment

d. 15/02/1918

Niederzwheren Cemetery, Germany

IV.H.16.

They are 11th ( Lonsdale)Border Men and the pictures would go as part of my Lonsdale War Grave Roll of Honour on my website.

Please please please, could you get me the above if you visit again Fritz, I would be very grateful

Hello Spike,

I have noticed your desire. Don´t know when I pass Kassel again but perhaps I can manage it in the next weeks.

Kind regards

Fritz

Fritz,

Thank you very much for the photo of the grave of 2nd Lieutenant Firth. It is fantastic.

Cheers,

Carole.

By the way,

I noticed that in the weapon of Middlesex Regiment (E.Parfitt, G. Fraser) are containing the German words "Ich dien" - I serve. What is the opinion? Why this German words in British use?

Is anybody able for an explanation?

Fritz

Ich Dien

Something to do with the King of Bohemia (John I) who was killed at Crecy. His crown lined with ostrich feathers was taken and became the emblem of the Black Prince and this forms the basic emblem of many British regiments and societies. Ich dien was John's motto. I think this is the correct explanation anyway.

Doug

Thank you, Doug,

this must happened in Middle Ages. So I am astonished about the profundity of military traditions. But not really. Being just faced with the new cinema spectacle of "Operation Walküre" and guess the deeply rooted morals of aristocratic self-comprehension.

Fritz

Fritz,

Battle of Crecy was 1346. The feathers, crown and motto have been used by the Princes of Wales ever since including the present one. Brits have no problem liberating and assimilating anything.

Doug

Hello Fritz,

I notice from a previous reply you may be revisiting Niederzwehren Cemetery, If you are may I ask you to take a photograph of the headstone of Private Charles Edward Tuck 26109, 9th Battalion Norfolk Regt, Died 18/10/1918 and buried in Plot No VIII.C.7.

Thank you in advance and,

Kindest regards,

Stephen. :rolleyes:

Hello Stephen,

I will remember to your request when I shall pass again Kassel perhaps next week.

Kind regards

Fritz

Fritz,

If you are passing by again I would dearly love, and appreciate very much, a photo of:

Steel George Pte West Yorkshire Regt Grave IX C 2 Niederzwehren Cemetery, Germany

Died from his wounds on 28th June 1917.

Thank you very much!!

hi,

had been there last friday and took the wanted pics.

post-12337-1234041401.jpg

Fritz :wub:

Thank you SOOOOOO much for taking so much trouble to get this picture for me - I appreciate it VERY much :wub:

Here is George Steele:

croppedphoto-2.jpg

Fritz

Would you be able to take a photograph of Pte. John Ernest Hufton's grave at Niederzwehren Cemetery for me? He came from my home town and I'd like to pass it onto his grandson.

Thanks very, very much.

Regards,

Jim

Hello Kim,

it was my pleasure. Thank you for the pic with George Steel. This gives a face to his burial. What happened to him?

Kind regards

Fritz

Hello Jim,

it will be autumn when I could be there again. Please give me his grave-number if possible.

Kind regards

Fritz

Hi Fritz,

The only details I have is that he was wounded and taken prisoner.

Later dying from his wounds on 28th June 1917.

Thank you again Fritz - you've helped numerous people by getting photos for them, and it's something which really is appreciated so very much.