Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reasearching a soldier

Wally Watkivs

This soldier was my father's eldest brother. I originally found him on the CWGC site in 2001 when his name was spelt correctly as Watkivs, when I visited it again recently I found on the updated website that it is spelt incorrectly as Watkins. I tried the contact us feature to get it corrected, but got no response, not even a bounce back answer. I am going to try writing to them. Has anyone had a similar experience?

It looks as if over-zealous action has 'corrected' the CWGC entry, and that the SDGW entry was wrong from way back. I have found that CWGC are helpful in correcting errors, when proved to their satisfaction, and suggest you go ahead and write.

It is always possible that Forum member Terry Denham will spot this thread, as he has ways of sorting things out.

Daggers

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing. I've certainly never heard the name Watkivs before - it almost sounds like a transcription error when the Domesday Book was being compiled! Wally, what's the background to the name, do you know?

Amazing. I've certainly never heard the name Watkivs before - it almost sounds like a transcription error when the Domesday Book was being compiled! Wally, what's the background to the name, do you know?

Hello Chris,

The name was Watkins until my great grandfather, born 1814 in Twyning in Gloucestershire, married in Hammersmith 1843, signed his name Watkivs and registered all his chidren as Watkivs. It was possibly a miss reading of copperplate writing. Ihave found one clue that the family came from Llandovery. The name has caused some problems over the years.

Wally

" There is 1 unique ' Wally Watkivs ' full name in the United States " ( Florida )

whitepages.com

Mike

Hello Mike,

The "Wally Watkivs" in Florida is in fact my brother, his real name is Kenneth. He is 9 years younger than me and was known as "Young Wally" when he joined the scouts and kept it when was in a rock group as his stage name.

Wally.