Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AB Robert Kerison

RedCoat

Donnie

His record will probably be on microfilm at Kew in the series BT377. They have a leaflet 5n ("find a RNR Rating's service record,1914-1958(BT377)"). which explains how you unravel the mysteries of the system.

If you can find his service number it will be easier to find. If you don't have a number it is possible to find it on the RNR Medal Rolls in ADM171/122 (the roll which includes his surname).

This all happens in the Microfilm Reading Room at Kew,I am not aware of any means on line to achieve this.

Sotonmate

Donnie.

Are you sure it's Kerison and not Kerrison? I think the latter might be the more common version of this surname. Probably not your man but there is an RN service record for a Robert William Kerrison, ON 155276, b. Limehouse, Middx., 10 Feb 1874:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

regards,

Martin

Sotonmate and Martin,

Thanks for the help......Martin, i am sure his name was Kerison and am not aware of any middle names. Sotonmate, cheers for the info on how to find him, i am afraid i dont have his service number so i think a look at the Medal Rolls will be the next step followed by the Service records once i have his service number. Do you have any idea who could do this for me as i have no means of getting to Kew.....

Cheers, Donnie

You could try posting a request for a pal to do a look up at Kew.

It would be possible to find all his numbers using: BT 377/3 Alphabetical indexes to service numbers (microfilm copies): G-L 1908 Jan 01 - 1955 Dec 31

The research guide to the RNR is online:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...p?sLeafletID=47

You might also be able to find details of his post war merchant navy service too:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...?sLeafletID=128

Hi,

Thanks guys, I need to check the Medal Rolls first, Service records and then Post War Merchant Navy Service record....

Again, Many thanks, Donnie

The original RNR service records are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton, which is closer to you. The originals of the Merchant records are in Southampton.

The original RNR service records are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton, which is closer to you. The originals of the Merchant records are in Southampton.

Many thanks mate,

That makes life alot easier! :D...

Donnie

I'm glad to help. Just surprised that Horatio2 hasn't lept in with the information.

Having overlooked this thread, here I leap - if only to confirm Per's advice. The FAAM have an index of all RNR ratings as a way into their service numbers and original record cards. With only a name (albeit a fairly unusual one) you may have several 'hits' - an age and place of birth would help to narrow the options down.