Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dover and Folkestone during the Great War

Chris_Baker

Not many places in Britain compare with that part of the Kent coast that includes Dover and Folkestone, when it comes to direct involvement in war. In 1914-1918, the two ports and their hinterland teemed with troops, military and naval facilities. They were an inevitable target for enemy attack by sea and air and as such provide the basis for this fascinating history.

The authors have delved into local archives, newspaper and journal collections and modern research presented on websites to pull together a rich and detailed view of the area during the Great War. The effect on the local population when the army mobilised; when the Canadian forces established a base; when Folkestone became the point of departure for hundreds of thousands of men going to France, and Dover became the receiving port for casaulties; when naval activities extended to the critical Dover Patrol and when the towns came under fire are all covered in considerable detail.

Blending narrative with quotes and a good collection of postcards and photographs (some of which might have benefitted from being larger), this is a good and readable history. I suspect that I would value an index should I ever need to look something up, but the book is well structured into places and periods.

For me, there was new information about air raids and shipping incidents that really gave a sense of "front line". The graves of civilians, soldiers and sailors in the area are testament to that and next time I am passing on my way to Wipers or the Somme, I shall take time out to look around the ports with new eyes. Dover is a fascinating place and has been for centuries; in recent years I always found Folkestone a little tatty - but armed with this history I am sure both with repay a visit.

I should also add that at a cover price of £10.99 this book is terrific value - and i see it is already well discounted at Amazon.