Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arch Whitehouse

Martin Bennitt

Just had occasion last night to check something in the Arch Whitehouse classic 'The Zeppelin Fighters'.

The author's note at the front says he flew with the RFC from March 1917, so I wondered what his record was

The address at the end of the author's note is Montvale, New Jersey -- was he an American in the Flying Corps?

Grateful for anything anyone can contribute on his flying and writing career

cheers Martin B

Arch was British. He was born in and grew up in Northampton but emigrated to the USA shortly before the war. When war broke out he returned to the UK and joined the Northamptonshire Yeomanry. Later in the war he transferred to the RFC which became the RAF as a gunner.

After the war he returned to the USA and became a popular writer on Great War subjects with a fair number of books (some are somewhat fanciful, I might add). His claim to be one of "The Red Baron's" victims is unsubstantiated. He returned to Northampton several times, once in the 1930's to open the Romany P. H. where he pulled the first pint. His last visit to his old home town was around 1962/1963 to visit old friends and relatives.

One of his relatives, "Uncle" Eric Whitehouse is a second hand book dealer and musician in the town, having been one of the mainstays of the Northampton music scene for almost 50 years and is currently lead singer for "The Beer Parlor Jivers" one of the top UK Western Swing bands who can be found on You Tube if you look carefully.

Martin

I assume that this is him:

post-6536-1228870754.jpg

From the London Gazette:

LG 28-10-1919

ROYAL AIR FORCE.

FLYING BRANCH.

The undermentioned are transferred to Unempld. list: —

28th Sept. 1919.

2nd Lt. D. Croft.

2nd.Lt. H. E. Dobson.

2nd Lt. M. A. Vachon.

2nd Lt. A. G. J. Whitehouse.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...J.%20Whitehouse

The Northamptonshire Yeomanry enlistment date would be mid-1915, I believe.

Steve.

From the Northampton Independent, 17-11-1917

post-6536-1228870990.jpg

post-6536-1228871004.jpg

London Gazette 17-12-1917

Awarded the Military Medal

78563 1st Cl. A. Mech. A. G. J. Whitehouse, R.F.C. (Northampton).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...amp;exact=78563

Steve.

Must dig out my signed photo - a chance postcard purchase of a Yeomanry man signed "Arch" - ID was confirmed by the family, the card having been sent to a family friend in Northampton. One of my better bargain buys!

Thanks for all that -- a bit of a line-shooter then but so what? He flew and he fought for all that.

Since I started the topic, found an interesting debate on him on the Aerodrome forum

I may be in Northampton in February, I'll see if I can catch up with the Beer Parlor Jivers

cheers Martin B

His RAF other ranks service records for number 78563 should be in AIR 79/713 (service numbers 78505 - 78598), records for 400,000+ have yet to be released. His officer's RAF record should be in AIR 76/544 (surnames Whitehead, J E R - Whitford, Norman).

• 6 years later...

Thanks to Steve I have been directed to this topic.

Not knowing the 1st name of Mr. Whitehouse the forum has excelled in

giving me information and I have found quite a bit nyself now I know his name.

Thanks all, brilliant as always

Sandy