Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

morphine / morhpia

Kate Wills

This question is prompted by Sue Light's televised conversation over the coffee table with Jo Brand, in discussing the avaailable analgesia. Sue said there wasn't much avaiable in between morphine and aspirin (sorry if I'm not quoting exactly Sue!).

Is there a difference between morphine and morphia?

I concour with both of the above

Andy

Kate

As an aside on Sue Light's comments you have paracetamol which is far more effective than aspirin for some people. Though well below morphine. Then of course you have THC (but that's a whole new ball game).

Garth

"morphia, n. = MORPHINE n.

"Morphia, n.

"1818 A. T. THOMSON London Dispensatory (ed. 2) II. 286 Robiquet..has confirmed his [sc. Sertuerner's] statement regarding the existence of morphia. 1836 J. M. GULLY tr. F. Magendie Formulary (ed. 2) 23 It is now..fifteen years since I first used..the muriate of morphia medicinally." etc

"morphine, n.

" The principal alkaloid of opium, C17H19NO3, used in medicine chiefly as a narcotic analgesic.

"Morphine has also been used as a sedative and hypnotic, but on repeated administration creates physical and psychological dependency, so is now reserved for the relief of severe pain, esp. in the acutely or terminally ill. Morphine sulphate is the form most commonly used in medicine.

"1821 Med. Rec. 4 June 136/1 The discovery of two different principles in this substance, namely, morphine and narcotine has developed this obscurity in the medical history of opium." etc

Oxford English Dictionary

I think paracetamol is fairly recent - certainly not available when I was a child in the 1950's. Only painkillers generally available were aspirin and morphine. Morphine used to be obtainable in over the counter patent medicines even then, such as Kaolin and Morphine and Dr Collis Brownes tincture both treatments for diarrhoea and stomach pains. Laudanum - a tincture of morphine - was I believe readily available certainly in the 19th century and addicts to this medication appear in books and plays.

The first entry in the Oxford English Dictionary is 1957.

"paracetamol, n. Pharmacol. Proprietary names for this drug include Panadol and Tylenol. 1957 Approved Names (Brit. Pharmacopia Comm.), Paracetamol."

Paracetamol was first discovered in 1878 but not used medicinally until 1893. It was not until the 1950s that it was made available over the counter.

Garth

laudanum an alcoholic tincture of opium has been used since at least the 17th century and opium itself for longer.

Paracetamol was first discovered in 1878 but not used medicinally until 1893.

I can't find anything to support it's use at that time. The substance was certainly known about, but I don't think it was being developed or manufactured until during/after WW2.

Sue

Don't quote me on this, but I think laudanum came off general sale around 1904. I remember speaking to an elderly lady 20 years ago who remembered it being given to children in the form of a drop or two on a lump of sugar. It was often used so teething children and their parents could get a good night's sleep. Sadly, enthusiasm for a much-needed night's sleep resulted in a number of accidental overdoses.

From what my mother told me, laudanum tended to be used up to the Second World War.

Apart from the decline of laudanum due to possible toxicity, the development of medicines during the war saw the introduction of safer medicines for children and babies.

laudanum an alcoholic tincture of opium has been used since at least the 17th century and opium itself for longer.

I understand that a tincture of opium was known to the ancient Persians (Parthians) and later used by Byzantine doctors - obviously not called Opium or Laudanum at the time. Many 17th and early 18th century European doctors believed that painkillers were a bad thing and that pain was a necessary part of medicine providing a sort of physical catharsis. Even in the 19th century it was thought that the use of anesthesia during childbirth - Queen Victoria soon put an end to that nonsense.

There were various 'baby soothers' used by the Victorians (during teething for example) that contained opium.

Laudanum is a particular distillation of the tincture. As I pointed out the uses of opium have a far longer pedigree.

I can't find anything to support it's use at that time. The substance was certainly known about, but I don't think it was being developed or manufactured until during/after WW2.

I agree with you Sue, even the wikipedia article notes that many of the properties were not recognised until the 1950s and that it was not added to the British Pharmacopoeia until 1963.

The mention of Dr Collis Browne's compound brought back memories.. my mother suffered from a complaint requiring it in the 60s and 70s, and two or three drops in a teacup of warm water did the trick. Then it was found that addicts were buying the bottles and necking them whole. Concentration reduced; efficacy rendered nearly zero for Mum.

And IIRC this was one of many remedies pushed in adverts for our boys at the front?

"As used by Kitchener's Scouts in the Sudan" was in their blurb IIRC.

I understand that a tincture of opium was known to the ancient Persians (Parthians) and later used by Byzantine doctors - obviously not called Opium or Laudanum at the time. Many 17th and early 18th century European doctors believed that painkillers were a bad thing and that pain was a necessary part of medicine providing a sort of physical catharsis. Even in the 19th century it was thought that the use of anesthesia during childbirth - Queen Victoria soon put an end to that nonsense.

There were various 'baby soothers' used by the Victorians (during teething for example) that contained opium.

Homer mentions it in the Illiad and Hippocates also refers to it in his Corpus. Some scholars have stated that opium poppy cultivation goes back as far of 3500 B.C.

Der Grosse Herman became a morphine addict, allegedly as a result of over prescription when in hospital. Not sure if this was WW1 or post war

Goering was a painkiller addict arising from the treatment of his injuries in the Great War.He continued to use painkillers to such an extent that his daily intake was 100 tablets, which amounted to 150- 200 milligrams of morphine.

When captured he had a large quantity of Paracodeine tablets which were taken from him.Subsequently the tables were analysed and found to contain a small amount of Paracodeine.

It is important to distinguish chronic opioid use for pain relief from psychological dependence. The former will cause physical dependence, with physicial symptoms if the opioid is withdrawn too quickly (and severe pain if the primary cause of the pain is not relieved). Many people with cancer use morphine on a regular basis for years. Thankfully, an increasing number of people with chronic non-cancer pain are also benefiting from this excellent family of pain killers, although not all types of pain respond well. If Goering had sustained nerve damage from one or more of his injuries, then this would explain the increasing doses of morphine over the years, without the need to invoke psychological drug dependency as a factor. The latter is not excluded of course.

Chronic opioid consumption was not uncommon before the 20th Century, Wilberforce and Shelley being two well known examples.

Robert

It is important to distinguish chronic opioid use for pain relief from psychological dependence. The former will cause physical dependence, with physicial symptoms if the opioid is withdrawn too quickly (and severe pain if the primary cause of the pain is not relieved). Many people with cancer use morphine on a regular basis for years. Thankfully, an increasing number of people with chronic non-cancer pain are also benefiting from this excellent family of pain killers, although not all types of pain respond well. If Goering had sustained nerve damage from one or more of his injuries, then this would explain the increasing doses of morphine over the years, without the need to invoke psychological drug dependency as a factor. The latter is not excluded of course.

Chronic opioid consumption was not uncommon before the 20th Century, Wilberforce and Shelley being two well known examples.

Robert

Coleridge supposedly composed Kubla Khan during an opium-induced trance: a poem I still know by heart.

When my father was dying of cancer, he was given diamorphine in ever-increasing doses until he passed on. Is diamorphine the same as morphine/morphia or is it another related drug?