Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What rank is this?

alliekiwi

Sorry this is as big as I can get the picture without it going all blurry.

post-13541-1227995713.jpg

If it's a plain old serjeant, what is the thing above the stripes and why is it there?

Allie

Sorry this is as big as I can get the picture without it going all blurry.

post-13541-1227995713.jpg

If it's a plain old serjeant, what is the thing above the stripes and why is it there?

Allie

Hi Allie

It looks like the "gun" that Royal Artillery Sergeants wore (and still do on Dress Uniform) above their stripes - so RFA, RHA or RGA Sgt.

Maybe someone else can confirm

Hope this helps

Regards

Jim

Hi Allie

It looks like the "gun" that Royal Artillery Sergeants wore (and still do on Dress Uniform) above their stripes - so RFA, RHA or RGA Sgt.

Maybe someone else can confirm

Hope this helps

Regards

Jim

Yes, it is the gun of a RA sergeant. In the same way a RE sergeant had a grenade above his stripes.

And never call it a 'Gun' with members former (like me) and current of the Royal Regiment about.. It's a "piece" (as in "piece of artillery". Bit like calling a battleship a 'boat' (yes, I know submarines are called 'boats'!). ;)

And never call it a 'Gun' with members former (like me) and current of the Royal Regiment about.. It's a "piece" (as in "piece of artillery". Bit like calling a battleship a 'boat' (yes, I know submarines are called 'boats'!). ;)

Sorry, but wrong, I am afraid, for the period.

The Clothing Regs, the Priced Vocab of Clothing, The Royal Army Clothing Department and just about everything else applying to the badge calls it a gun [and, where a badge has two thingies crossed, they are called guns].

And we all know the gunners are called 'Piecers' do we not!

Sorry, but wrong, I am afraid, for the period.

The Clothing Regs, the Priced Vocab of Clothing, The Royal Army Clothing Department and just about everything else applying to the badge calls it a gun [and, where a badge has two thingies crossed, they are called guns].

And we all know the gunners are called 'Piecers' do we not!

I too was a Gunner and we always called them the "Gun" - we never had Colours called "The Pieces" ^_^

I too was a Gunner and we always called them the "Gun" - we never had Colours called "The Pieces" ^_^

Herewith "the Gun".

post-599-1228145198.jpg

Thank you very much, chaps. I feel slightly more educated about pictorial representations of things that go 'bang', now. ;)

So he was a serjeant in either the RFA or RGA. And he was named Smith. Yup, I can really see the correct MIC's going to be easy to find...

Allie

looks almost like a staff serjeant

Did you actually read the thread?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alli,seems like there is a common thread here. I have just seen your photo. of the artillery/sergeant stripe on the web. It would appear to be British piece, however my maternal Grandfather served in the Australian Army in Artillery and I have a photo of him as a Sergeant with the Australian version piece as depicted in the photo. I have his spurs, bandolier,leggings, several version of Sergeant stripes and I.D bracelet.

The reason of why this is fascinating was that his sister served as a Nurse- why I was interested in the Book- The Other ANZACS.

If you can access the Australian War Memorial web site the names of the people are:

Daniel Joseph Duggan-Meritorious Service Medal and

Mary-known as May Duggan.

My mother told me that there was sibling rivalry as May had the 1914-25 Star and her brother didn't and he was jealous of her on ANZAC Day. I guess the fact that she joined up before him didn't click with him.

Cheers:David Buchanan

Me thinks Staffsyeoman may be taking the piece, when referring to the GUN above the sergeants stripes as the Piece. As pointed out earlier, "The Royal Regiment of Artillery" salute the Guns, their colours. I am of course assuming that we are referring to the British Army and not our American brothers. Although i suspect that you may very well get the same answer from them

Grumpy, Sgts wear the Gun above the stripes. Staff Sgts have a Gun and a crown above the stripes. The crossed Guns to which you refer are the insignia of a WO2 SMIG(Sgt Major instructor Gunnery) and are worn on the right forearm

Tom.

Uqfegd!

Grumpy, Sgts wear the Gun above the stripes. Staff Sgts have a Gun and a crown above the stripes. The crossed Guns to which you refer are the insignia of a WO2 SMIG(Sgt Major instructor Gunnery) and are worn on the right forearm

Tom.

Uqfegd!

SMIG with crown above of course.

In our period, the crossed guns on their own signified every man, any rank, prize battery or company.