Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Braglea

Northern Soul

I'd appreciate any information on the sinking of a ship called the BRAGLEA (I can't guarantee the spelling). It was based at Bray, Co. Wicklow, and reportedly was sunk in a collision with another ship on August 2nd, 1918, while on a journey to Ayr carrying limestone.

I can't find any mention of it at all.

Thanks.

Andy.

Hi Andy

You are thinking of the 380-ton SS BRAEGLEN, which was completed as the CROFTHEAD in 1891, renamed FAIRFORD in 1907and in 1915 renamed BRAEGLEN. The BRAEGLEN was sunk in collision with SS SARAH BROUGH, on 2 August 1918, 12½ miles W ½ N of North Bay Buoy, in Liverpool Bay, while voyaging from Llandulas to Ayr, with gravel ;) If you need more info on the ship's builders and owners etc just ask?

Cheers Ron

This is spot on Ron. I was working from a newspaper report - hence the confusion over the name.

I don't suppose you know how many casualties there were or what the precise circumstances of the collision wwere - were they in a convoy or something?

Andy.

Hi Andy

Out of her crew of eleven, eight were lost, but with it not beinga war casualty, the names are not in the CWGC. The other vessel was the 284-ton SARAH BROUGH from Liverpool. I don't know how she sank, but there would have been a blackout. I'll see if I can find out anything more, but can't promise;)

The Board of Trade reference is Wreck Returnn 1918 Part II Table A Page.39 (3)

Cheers Ron

Hi Andy

Out of her crew of eleven, eight were lost, but with it not beinga war casualty, the names are not in the CWGC. The other vessel was the 284-ton SARAH BROUGH from Liverpool. I don't know how she sank, but there would have been a blackout. I'll see if I can find out anything more, but can't promise;)

The Board of Trade reference is Wreck Returnn 1918 Part II Table A Page.39 (3)

Cheers Ron

Once again, thanks Ron.

There is one casualty listed - a RN gunner who was on board. My interest is in the captain, co-incidentally called Brough!

I'll open a new thread on this one in "Possible Non-commemorations" because there is at least one instance in WW2 where a crew are commemorated by the CWGC who were lost in similar circumstances (collision, rather than enemy action). Terry Denham may have a better idea - in the WW2 example they may have collided because they were taking evasive action to counteract the U-boat threat; alternatively the rules for commemoration may have been changed in the interim.

Andy.

Andy

The rules were changed only very slightly as below but errors were also sometimes made. Note that the important point is 'increased risks' rather than 'enemy action'.

I know of a number of WW1 MN men who have had their war grave status deleted in the past due to it being discovered that their deaths were non-risk related (though the graves remain in CWGC care).

The wording is....

WW1

"Where death was caused by the increased risks due to war conditions and is confirmed by the Registrar General of Seamen and Shipping"

Qualifying dates - 04.08.14 to 11.11.18 inclusive (including those dying of injuries originating during this period who died up to 31.08.21)

WW2

"Where death was caused by increased war risk outside Home Waters and is confirmed by the Registrar General of Seamen and Shipping"

Qualifying dates - 03.09.39 to 15.08.45 inclusive (including those dying of injuries originating during this period who died up to 31.12.47)

Andy

I have all the WWI merchant crew loss names and men from that ship are not mentioned. My source normally says if the master was lost, but there is no mention of that.

Cheers Ron