Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Garrison Artillery

tony.vds

Hello,

My wife's paternal grandfather, Percy William Thacker, was Gunner 177388 in the Royal Garrison Artillery. Family legend has it that he served in Sierra Leone. I have checked his MIC which shows that he received only the British Medal, not the Victory Medal. Does this indicate that he never served on the Western Front? Any general info about the presence of the RGA in Africa would be gratefully received.

Tony

Tony

Martin Farndale's book: "The Forgotten Fronts and the Home Base, 1914-18" in his series on the History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery lists two RGA units as serving in Sierra Leone during the Great War:

50th Company RGA

Sierra Leone Company RGA (6 x 2.95-inch QF guns)

Guns and gunners of the Sierra Leone Company RGA served in the Cameroons campaign, coming into action many times.

The book mentions several actions of the Sierra Leone gunners.

Harry

Many thanks Harry, I will follow this up.

Tony

It is must likely that he went to Sierra Leone and served with either the District Establishment, RGA or No. 50 Company, RGA as he only received the BWM. If he had served with the Sierra Leone Company, RGA in the Cameroons campaign he should have received both the BWM and the Victory Medal. Regards, Gunner 1

Gunner 1,

Thanks very much. I know nothing about the RGA or artillery in general but now I have the impetus to look deeper.

Regards,

Tony

I remember my late grand-father* telling me of his time in Sierra Leone with the RGA sometime between his return from Flanders in 1918 and his discharge in 1925. He was a trumpeter with his unit (I cannot find evidence of which one, though) and told of how, after a few months of being in Freetown, couldn't be bothered to blow reveille from the parade-ground, choosing instead to simply lean out of his window overlooking the square and blow his trumpet instead.

I'm desperate for more info on his time in Sierra Leone. He also served for a period in Ireland during the uprising.

Any help would be appreciated.

Colin.

* 38847 Lance Bombadier (Gunner) Cecil Albany Manley, RGA (served from 14/04/1913 to 13/04/1925) from Saltash in Cornwall. (He died in Saltash on 01/05/1979).

Colin,

Cecil served with 153 Siege Battery. A 4 x 6 in How Battery that went out to the WF in August 1916.

Tony,

His medal roll confirms he was with 50 coy, A garrison of 182 men, inclusive of 5 Officers, 8 Serjeants and 2 Trumpeters in Dec 1914.

Rgs Paul

Many thanks to all who responded.

Forgive my ignorance, but can anyone help with the purpose of the Sierra Leone garrison? I am woefully ignorant as to military activity in that part of the world during WW1. Was it just a pre-emptive action in case of possible expansionism by the enemy who, I believe, did have some African colonies?

I do remember Blackadder in that memorable final episode referring to 'a German sausage factory in Tangyanika'!

Tony van der Spiegel

• 3 years later...

Tony

Just picked on this thread whilst researching

My grandfather (See below) served in Sierra Leone with RGA (assume 50 Coy?) and was there at the outbreak of war. He therefore saw action in Cameroons and I think Togoland. He arrived in France May 1916 and survived the War.

Elsewhere ion this forum I recently posted a photo of him and several mates whilst in Sierra Leone. If you search for my posts you will find it - i'm not sure how to a link to it!!

The Sierra Leone RGA had been there for some years, but I can't imagine it was the most demanding of assignments. I researched a man a few days ago who went out there in 1910-11.

The Sierra Leone RGA had been there for some years, but I can't imagine it was the most demanding of assignments.

Actually, Chris, it sounded pretty challenging from the portrayal in the diary entry for AIF Convoy 31. The troops were kept onboard for 3 days due to endemic malaria & typhoid. This account is from an AIF soldier and is in the Mitchell Library. I have changed one or two words from the original as today we would consider them grossly offensive.

Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales

Bowler war diary, 21 May-July 1917 / William (Bill) G. Bowler

MLDOC 1267

Diary of Voyage On H.M.A. Troopship Shropshire A9 from Australia to England 1917

Wednesday, 4th. We sighted Sierra Leone at 7.30 a,m. We arrived at

Freetown, and anchored a mile from the town at 11 a,m. The shore looked

beautiful, with the dark green tropical foliage and white houses. Just outside

the lighthouse a steamer is on the reef. She is on an even keel, and looks as if

she is at anchor. We were told that she had been there for three years, and that

is was impossible to float her off. The town is built on a slope of a mountain,

and looks pretty from the Bay. The hills are covered with cocoa-nut palms, wild

cotton trees, mangoes, etc. The rest of the country is very flat, and full of

wild animals. The general told us that a Puma with a cub had been prowling round

the Governor's house all night. The only means of conveyance, is a hammock slung

between two poles, and carried on the shoulders of four natives. The place is

very unhealthy for white men, and has every disease under the sun. Yellow jack,

malaria, and Typhoid are rampant. The few white men we saw looked as if they had

been boiled. On the 5th the Aux'y Cruiser "Mantua" arrived and anchored a

10.a,m. The natives came out to us in canoes, selling monkeys, bananas, pine

apples, mangoes, cocoa nuts, and other fruits.

Fish appeared to be plentiful,

and dozens of crabs were seen swimming in the water. H.M.S. "King Alfred" was at

anchor near the town. She is a four funnel Cruiser, of the "Drake "type, but

more modern. Coal barges were towed alongside, and we started to coal with Welsh

steaming coal. The natives did all the coaling, and made a tremendous row.

n the 5th in the evening a Concert party came aboard from the

Garrison. Major A'Beckett, commanding the 50th Royal Garrison

Artillery, stationed at Sierra Leone, came aboard with a number of Bombadiers

and gunners. We took up a collection for the Freetown Military Hospital

afterwards, and realised quite a large sum. Major A'Beckett, (who is a very fine

fellow) told us that they received sick men from nearly every Convoy that passed

through. Troops from Australia and New Zealand bound for England to German East

Africa and Mesopatamia, are from time to time sent ashore to the Hospital, and

when they are well enough, they are attached to the 50th Company until a

Transport arrives to take them on to their unit. Our convoy sent ashore several

meningitis cases. In thanking us for the collection, the Major said, "We are

very pleased to see many white men, and look forward to the arrival of a

convoy." We are not here because we like it, but because someone must look after

this outpost of the Empire." "When you are at anchor in the Bay, you see the

best of the Town, as it looks very pretty from the Bay; but it is really a

rotten place, and is known as 'the white man's grave'. They had not seen a

potato for months, nor tasted green vegetables since they had been in the

territory". "We will look after your sick, and send them forward to join you

when they are well". On the 6th a thunder storm burst over the harbour at 7 p,m,

and lasted for about an hour. The thunder and lightening was very severe, and

the rain came down in sheets. The heat was just as bad five minutes afterwards.

It is the rainy season here at present, so it must be rather warm when the

summer arrives. We were told that people who peg out here, are supplied with

blankets in Hades, because they feel the cold when they arrive there.

On Saturday, 7th July, we sent ashore two bags of

spuds, some bacon, and a quarter of beef, for the unfortunate 50th Com'y R.G.A.,

and no doubt they greatly appreciated the donation. At 8 a,m we weighed anchor

and left Freetown, after being at anchor for three days, during which time we

had been stewed, baked, and fried in the (delightful?) climate. We were not

sorry to leave the place, and get the sea breeze again. Our Y.M.C.A.rep who had

been ashore, said it was just like entering a death stricken place,and that he

was glad to get back aboard the ship again. The walls of the Churchs are covered

with memorial Tablets to the memory of British Tommies who have died while on

the Station.

Freetown was a 'Defended Port', this meant that it had coast defences manned by RGA. In Freetown's case the coast defence batteries comprised:

2 x 9.2 inch guns, probably Mk X on Carriage Garrison Barbette Mk V giving 15 degs elevation and max range 17400 yds, firing 380 lb shell, Armour Piercing, Lyddite and Shrapnel; and

4 x 6 inch guns, probably Mk VII on Carriage Garrison Mk II (16 degs elevation) max range 12600 yds, firing 100lb shell, Armour Piercing, Common Lyddite and Shrapnel.

Freetown was one of the least defended of the Defended Ports that had 9.2 in guns. Lots had nothing bigger than 6 inch. There were 39 RGA companies at ports around the world outside UK from the W Indies to Hong Kong, plus various local companies along side them.

Colin,

Cecil served with 153 Siege Battery. A 4 x 6 in How Battery that went out to the WF in August 1916.

Tony,

His medal roll confirms he was with 50 coy, A garrison of 182 men, inclusive of 5 Officers, 8 Serjeants and 2 Trumpeters in Dec 1914.

Rgs Paul

My grandfather was serving with 50 coy RGA in Sierra Leone in Aug 1914 at the outbreak of war and went on to see action in Cameroon & Togoland. I am interested in researching more about his time in West Africa and have been directed to the Official History volume and a book by Martin Farndale. Any other sources that you know of ?

He was wounded in action in Cameroon then contracted fever (malaria?) and was shipped back to hospital in Portsmouth in, I think late 1915 early 1916?

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

I have badly neglected this thread that I started a long time ago.My grateful thanks to all who have contributed - I now have a much better understanding of activity in that far-flung and probably largely forgotten theatre of war.

Best regards,

Tony

• 2 months later...

Dear all,

I have badly neglected this thread that I started a long time ago.My grateful thanks to all who have contributed - I now have a much better understanding of activity in that far-flung and probably largely forgotten theatre of war.

Best regards,

Tony

I have now found Percy Thacker's service record on Ancestry. Some of it is badly burnt but there is more than enough to confirm that he was indeed with 50 Coy, RGA. He signed up under the Derby Scheme in 1915 but as he was 30 years old, married with one child and classified B1 due to a heart murmur, was not called up until mid - 1917. He was originally posted to 21 Coy RGA, Forth Battery then in late 1917 embarked to 50 Coy, Sierra Leone, arriving on 13th December. He was not discharged until late May 1919 (why so late?)

The is a poignant scrap of paper in the file, probably a telephone message, dated April 1919 - 'Re Gnr Thacker, from wife, when is husband likely to come home?'

Again, grateful thanks to all those who helped with this one. For info, Percy ended up as a welfare officer with the local council in Leyton, east London, and lived to the good age of 70. Sadly the wife who left the note died in 1925.