Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Famous 1914-1918

susan kitchen

Just come across a good book called "Famous 1914-1918" by Richard Van Emden and Victor Piuk. The book tells the stories of 20 famous people. People who eventually became household names. i.e J R TOLKIEN , A A MILNE, HAROLD MACMILLAN AND WINSTON CHURCHILL to name but a few. The authors tell the story of how Basil Rathbone (he of Sherlock Holmes fame) won the military cross for a trench raid while dressed as a tree. Also of where C.S Lewis was wounded and invalided home. The authors have managed to find the exact locations of where these and other celebrities saw action. Also included are pictures of the very spot where these people were and maps of the areas.

It's a Hardback at £25 although i have seen it for £20 ISBN 9781844156429 PUBLISHED BY PEN & SWORD.

It's just the kind of book to dip into when, after Christmas lunch/dinner you find yourself wedged into an Armchair with all movement impossible.

Susan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bought it for my wife as one her Christmas presents - she is delighted with it.

would love to see a second volume on this topic, some cracking people they did not/could not fit in

matt

• 3 months later...

Got my copy this week whilst staying in Somme and was lucky enough to meet Vic. He signed and wrote a personal dedication to me inside cover :D . What a truly nice guy too and only had chance to flick through book so far but know i'll be hooked on it this week

Wayne

I have been off line for a while regarding the Forum but just want to say glad you are all interested in the book.

Regards

Susan

• 2 months later...

Just borrowed this book from Leeds Library and amazed to find John Reginald Christie and Winston Churchill among the 21. Not sure if Winston would have approved of this association with a criminal, but I couldn't help noticing that the 10 Churchill books in the biography section were supported by the Charlotte Church Story at each end. Oh well, he was a man of the people.

Splendid introduction by Van Emden and Piuk, and I agree with Wayne about the ones who were left out being cause for a possible vol.2.

However, I'm only on chapter 1, but anticipate a good read.

Phil.

If i remember rightly the book is due out in paperback on the 15th October for £16.99 although i'm sure i saw somewhere that Tesco's will be selling it at £11.89. Let's hope a second one is on it's way.

Susan.