Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durham Light Infantry 12th Bn

Guest feinstein48

Guest feinstein48

I have just registered, so pardon my inexperience. My Great Uncle was part of the 12th and sadly died in Italy shortly after the end of the war. I've searched the internet but have only found limited information about the 12th. I am interested to know which other areas of the conflict the 12th was involved in. Any details will be gratefully received.

A very warm welcome to the forum.

Can I suggest as a starting point the Long, Long Trail a link to which you'll find in the top left corner of the board. Searching army and infantry will lead you to the DLI and you can get a start from there.

Try using the search engine too, it will come back with lots of DLI info.

For a more in depth look, its worth investing in "Durham Forces in the Field 1914- 1918" a history of the Service battalions of the Durham Light Infantry , by Capt. Wilfrid Miles. It's available from Naval and Military press.

However inspite of that there are some brilliant members on this forum who will help you as much as they can.

A good start would be your great uncles name and rank and if you have it an army number. You may be suprised just how much you find out.

Good Luck and welcome once more.

Jack

If you send me your e-mail address I can send you a 14 page document on 12 DLI from the Great War, it was written by a friend of mine for his MA.

Sean

Guest feinstein48
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Can I suggest as a starting point the Long, Long Trail a link to which you'll find in the top left corner of the board. Searching army and infantry will lead you to the DLI and you can get a start from there.

Try using the search engine too, it will come back with lots of DLI info.

For a more in depth look, its worth investing in "Durham Forces in the Field 1914- 1918" a history of the Service battalions of the Durham Light Infantry , by Capt. Wilfrid Miles. It's available from Naval and Military press.

However inspite of that there are some brilliant members on this forum who will help you as much as they can.

A good start would be your great uncles name and rank and if you have it an army number. You may be suprised just how much you find out.

Good Luck and welcome once more.

Jack

Thanks for the encouragement, my great uncles name was Ernest Hardy, he was a private, service number 32420, his date of death was recorded as 15/11/1918 and he is buried in Staglieno cemetary, Genoa.

Pete

Pete

Ernest Hardy has aset of papers on ancestry. If you would like them, then send me a private message with your email address and I'll get them off to you.

Jack

Ernest Hardy, Medal Index card.

post-17576-1224088524.jpg

Hi

according to his war and victory medal roll he served in 2/Durham LI and 20/Durham LI before joining 12/Durham LI.

In the past I have tried posting a copy of the sheet but they are too small to make out the writing.

regards

John

The casualty form - active service confirms Johns medal roll information.

A later casualty form for 1917 also identifies that Ernest spent a month with the 19th from 29/1/1917 to 24/2/1917 before being reposted to the 12th DLI

post-17576-1224099648.jpg