Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ARMY TIME

alf mcm

On the Western Front, was British Army time the same as German Army time? i.e. was 12 noon at the same time for both armies? Was there a change for British Summer Time {if it existed then}, and was British Army time the same as French Army time?

I am wondering this because it would need to be considered when comparing the same event from the viewpoint of different armies.

Regards,

Alf McM

On the Western Front, was British Army time the same as German Army time? i.e. was 12 noon at the same time for both armies? Was there a change for British Summer Time {if it existed then}, and was British Army time the same as French Army time?

I am wondering this because it would need to be considered when comparing the same event from the viewpoint of different armies.

Regards,

Alf McM

The British army used British time. My understanding is that the French also used British time, the clocks in their municipal building being adjusted to reflect this.

This has been discussed , but unfortunately I cant find the thread to repost it. I agree , British time and double !!! (2 hours) summertime too from some point ? "MO"

Yes. I remember reading an interesting thread on this. My understanding is that both France and Britain embraced BST on the same day, to utilise daylight hours and to simplify the allies' timekeeping. I can recall from that other thread a statement made that in Ypres, the city authority were expected to use German time when under occupation, but they sabotaged plans by 'going allied'.

I know that when Longuyon was invaded the German commander demanded hostages from the locals. The mayor agreed to provide some by 12 noon. 12 noon came and the German commander was livid because there were no hostages. He tried to tear a strip off he mayr, who pointed out that the German's watch was set to German time, but French time was an hour behind.

One red faced German. I think that it was then ordained that German time was to be used.

I came across a lovely article in a travel guide from about 1900 where it warns that travellers to Luxembourg will have to set their watches 50 minutes forward when they cross the frontier from Belgium, and I think one hour forward when they got to Germany.

The British, French and Belgians ALL used Greenwich Mean Time, and German time was one hour ahead.

Daylight Saving Time (one hour ahead of Greenwich) was introduced in 1916 in all these nations, but not all from or to the same dates. This also occurred in 1917 and 1918.

The actual dates for each nation are given in the introductions to the relevant volumes of the British Official History.

British Double Summer Time was not introduced until 1947, and then I think only for two years.

The French and Germans did not move into line with the Germans until the mid-1950s, possibly when the Common Market was set up. (The impression that French tme in WW1 was the same as the German is one of those assumptions many people make, which in fact are wrong!)

Thus, the Armistice took effect at 11 am British/French/Belgian time, noon German time, on 11.11.18.

Ron

Thanks to you all for your excellent replies. It seems to me that, regardless of the subject matter, someone will have a reply. This is what makes this forum so good.

Regards,

Alf

In May 1916 daylight saving time was introduced, and the Home Office sent out the following notice: “Important Alteration of Time. On the night of Saturday/Sunday, May 20 /21, at 2 a.m., the time on all railways, at all Post Offices, and other Government establishments, will be put forward by one hour to 3 a.m. The altered time will be used for all ordinary purposes during the summer. For instance, licenced houses, factories and workshops, and all other establishments where hours are regulated by law, will be required to observe the altered time.

“The Government requests the public to put forward all clocks and watches by one hour during the night of Saturday, May 20. Normal time will be restored at 2 a.m. on the night of Saturday/Sunday, September 30/October 1.

“The chief object of this measure at the present time is to reduce the number of hours during which artificial lighting is used in the evenings, and so save to the nation part of the fuel and oil used for lighting, and release large quantities of coal, which are urgently needed for other purposes arising from the war.”

Tony.

Thanks for that Tony and all , very........... Illuminating :o "MO"

I should have said that German daylight saving time was one hour ahead of German time i.e.two hours ahead of GMT. I think you all understood what I meant but on re-reading it, it seems a bit ambiguous!

Ron

The British, French and Belgians ALL used Greenwich Mean Time, and German time was one hour ahead.

Daylight Saving Time (one hour ahead of Greenwich) was introduced in 1916 in all these nations, but not all from or to the same dates. This also occurred in 1917 and 1918.

The actual dates for each nation are given in the introductions to the relevant volumes of the British Official History.

British Double Summer Time was not introduced until 1947, and then I think only for two years.

The French and Germans did not move into line with the Germans until the mid-1950s, possibly when the Common Market was set up. (The impression that French tme in WW1 was the same as the German is one of those assumptions many people make, which in fact are wrong!)

Thus, the Armistice took effect at 11 am British/French/Belgian time, noon German time, on 11.11.18.

Ron

No it didn't.

The army had adopted 24 hour clock, by Army Order, so Armistice was 1100 hours.

Somewhere in my Regiment's history there is a reference to switching from am and pm to xx00 hours, but as it isn't indexed I can't find it. I think it was about 1916. The history, however, is written entirely in am/pm format. If I can find the ref I'll post again.

Grumpy - you are of course absolutely correct. The history describes the confusion that occurred sometimes with the am/pm format and how all would be simplified from 1st October on. The author then notes "For the purpose of this book the old practice of am and pm would be retained as being more usual and readily understood in ordinary life.