Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Cox Highland Cyclist Battalion

ronmarsden

This is what I know allready.

Major John Alonzo Cox DSO kia 29 9 1918 attached 12th Bt HLI.

looking for information on his earlier service with HCB, was he the founder as this photo suggests?

Ron.

post-12169-1218963123.jpg

This is what I know allready.

Major John Alonzo Cox DSO kia 29 9 1918 attached 12th Bt HLI.

looking for information on his earlier service with HCB, was he the founder as this photo suggests?

Ron.

Ron

Dont think he was founder of Highland Cyclist Battalion as it was formed quite sometime before WW1, this is from an earlier thread on Army Cyclist Corps.

"The following information was taken from Frederick's Lineage plus other various references that I have.

The Highland Cyclist Battalion.

This Unit has a history that goes back to the middle of the 19th century with the formation of the Rifle Volunteer Corps. With much reorganization of these Corps they finally became a Volunteer Battalion of The Black Watch [Royal Highlanders] on the 1st. July 1881.

On the 1st. December 1887 they were re-designated as the 5th. [Perthshire Highland] Volunteer Battalion.

Re-organized with the formation of the Territorial Force on 1st. April 1908 they were re- designated as the 8th. [Cyclist] Battalion of the Regiment.

In January 1909 they were re-designated as The Highland Cyclist Battalion.

On the 4th. August 1914 they were embodied. They were re-numbered during March 1915 as the 1st. /1st. Battalion, and disembodied on 3rd. December 1919.

During 1920 they were absorbed into the Highland Division Signals.

The 2nd./1st. Battalion were formed on 14th. July 1915, and disbanded on 3rd. July 1919.

The 3rd./1st. Battalion were formed during 1915 at Kirkcaldy, and disbanded during 1916 with the personnel being drafted to other lines and the Machine-gun Corps."

It may be possible that your Major Cox formed the2/1 or 3/1??

Stuart

Ron,

He is previously shown in the 1 Army List

Act Capt H Cyc Bttn 1915, 1916

Capt Highland Cyclist Bttn, employed 11 HLI (11.2.13) 1917

Major, DSO (13.3.17) 12th HLI 1918

From the above he appears to have seniority from before the war, which may well fit in with the raising of additional units.

11HLI did not exist in 1917, it being 10/11 HLI, which was in the same division as 12HLI until the reorganisation of 1918 ( 15th Scottish). It had been amalgamated following losses at Loos.

Cox was the 2 i/c of the bttn from 2/2/18, and was in command in the period immediately prior to the March offensive ( 15/3/18 - 21/3/18).

His death is described in Steuart 'March Kind Comrade ( p229-30), dying of shellfire, and his character is expanded upon on p216 0f the same book. There is nothing on his previous service, although it is mentioned that he had served at the front for 3 years ( unwounded). This may fit with him being drafted to France as an officer replacement after Loos.

Regards

Adam

• 1 month later...

Major in Black Watch Regiment, awarded DSO and killed in Action at Ypres in command of 1st Cycle Batt. Army Cyclist Corp., seconded to Highland Light Infantry.

Born at 19 Lower Brook Street, Teignmouth, Devon, on 8 Jan 1887

Known as John 'Jack' Alonzo Cox. He was 5 ' 11''

Cert of moral character from Rector of St Peters Kirkcaldy

Went to Orchard Gardens Private School Teignmoth, Devon. Address 258a High Street, Kirkcaldy. Worked as a Shipping Agent

Late of Theatre Buildings, Kirkcaldy

Cadet J A Cox from Glasgow University contingent recommended for Lieutenant 20 Jan 1912 when enlisted for territorials 31 Oct 1911

Promoted to Captain 11 Feb 1913.

Made out a will in May 1915

Dec 1916 - Feb 1917 Dysentry when a Captain. Returned on Aberdonian.

Was at Aldershot for a course between 17 May 1918 and 24 June 1918. Returned 14 July.

Taken ill on train from London to Glasgow during this time.

4 Aug 1918, asked to be transferred back to 1st Highland Cyclist Battalion from the Highland Light nf., as he heard they (HCB) were to go to North Russian Expeditionary Force. Has been on active service since 29 July 1914, when Officer Commanding of Special Service Section HCB in precautionary period. Lt Col and Brig-Col supported. Turned down as HCB were not going to Russia.

9 years army service (in 1918)

After his death, his servent and groom were paid off, and War Office sent his father £352 9s due to Johns estate.

Moved from another grave to Aeroplane Cemetery, Ieper, Belgium. VII A 22 in 1920.

Not bad for my first post, eh?

He's my Great Great Uncle!

I would be very interested in anything else you can tell me. I have pulled his army record, but its in the loft somewhere since we moved. I can look it out if you are interested.

Paul

• 4 months later...
Guest Andrew Arnold
Major in Black Watch Regiment, awarded DSO and killed in Action at Ypres in command of 1st Cycle Batt. Army Cyclist Corp., seconded to Highland Light Infantry.

Born at 19 Lower Brook Street, Teignmouth, Devon, on 8 Jan 1887

Known as John 'Jack' Alonzo Cox. He was 5 ' 11''

Cert of moral character from Rector of St Peters Kirkcaldy

Went to Orchard Gardens Private School Teignmoth, Devon. Address 258a High Street, Kirkcaldy. Worked as a Shipping Agent

Late of Theatre Buildings, Kirkcaldy

Cadet J A Cox from Glasgow University contingent recommended for Lieutenant 20 Jan 1912 when enlisted for territorials 31 Oct 1911

Promoted to Captain 11 Feb 1913.

Made out a will in May 1915

Dec 1916 - Feb 1917 Dysentry when a Captain. Returned on Aberdonian.

Was at Aldershot for a course between 17 May 1918 and 24 June 1918. Returned 14 July.

Taken ill on train from London to Glasgow during this time.

4 Aug 1918, asked to be transferred back to 1st Highland Cyclist Battalion from the Highland Light nf., as he heard they (HCB) were to go to North Russian Expeditionary Force. Has been on active service since 29 July 1914, when Officer Commanding of Special Service Section HCB in precautionary period. Lt Col and Brig-Col supported. Turned down as HCB were not going to Russia.

9 years army service (in 1918)

After his death, his servent and groom were paid off, and War Office sent his father £352 9s due to Johns estate.

Moved from another grave to Aeroplane Cemetery, Ieper, Belgium. VII A 22 in 1920.

Not bad for my first post, eh?

He's my Great Great Uncle!

I would be very interested in anything else you can tell me. I have pulled his army record, but its in the loft somewhere since we moved. I can look it out if you are interested.

Paul

I've only just joined this forum and found this thread, which is by now a bit old…

I am also a relative of John Alonzo Cox (he was my grandmother's uncle, which I think makes him a great, great uncle of mine too). The information people have added to this thread has been very interesting and I'll pass it on to members of my family who I know will be interested.

I can add a bit more to the picture in that although the Coxes came from Devon and latterly South East London, they moved to Gloucester just after the turn of the century and John Alonzo's niece married my grandfather.

John Alonzo's name is on the Gloucester War Memorial in the Park, and is also included on the war memorial for the church on the corner of my road, St Paul's Gloucester. It turns out that he was the organist for the church for a period (although how he fitted that in, I don't know), and there is a plaque at the back of the church near to the steps of the organ loft.

SANY0035.JPG

A document sent to his parents also has a Gloucester address and you'll see from the plaque that his father, Benjamin Cox, was also a military man, although I know no more about him.

I hope this is useful to all who are interested…

Andrew Arnold

Hi Andrew

Many thanks for that, I found a ref on the net to it somewhere, but have not had a chance to get there to photo it, so it is most welcome.

My Grandad (Ben Cox) did all our family Tree, so if you would like the info from it about Coxs for anyone in your family, do get in touch.

Paul (Cox!)

[John Alonzo Cox's sister, Lydia Drew Cox, was my Grandfathers mother.]

• 2 years later...

Heres another of Major Cox. That's a very thin looking horse... maybe that's why the switched to Bikes!

post-39060-0-15536700-1299427184.jpg

Heres another of Major Cox. That's a very thin looking horse... maybe that's why the switched to Bikes!

On my visit to the Ypres Area in June I intend to visit the grave of Major Cox at Aeroplane Cemetery, Ieper if any relative wishes a cross left or a photo taken please PM me or leave a message on the forum.

Joe

Hi Joe, tha'ts a really kind offer. I am his Great Great Neph, so a photo would be much appreiciated. Can't PM you as your box is full.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Paul Cox

Hi Joe, tha'ts a really kind offer. I am his Great Great Neph, so a photo would be much appreiciated. Can't PM you as your box is full.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Paul Cox

Hello Paul

Thanks I have made space in PM Box, I have a photo in my files,will look it out for you.

Joe

Major Cox Grave

sent from Belgium by Freddy & Anita, friends of mine who send me photos of Black Watch Graves in France& Flanders.

JCOXCB.jpg

Thank you Joe, that's very much appriecated. The sunny day and shadow of the flowers really makes it.

• 11 years later...