Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Delville Wood

tannie

Last night I listened to a very interesting topic on Delville Wood. Someone had mentioned that the site was hardly ever open for visitors and the curator came on air to deny this allegation.

However, as it is the 92nd anniversary of the battle on 26 July he went on to discuss the history and callers were invited to phone in with comments.

It was mentioned that there existed 6 crosses made from the fragments of wood brought back to South Africa from Delville Wood, the locations being given as - The Crypt, St.John's College Johannesburg; The Garden of Remembrance, Pietermaritzburg; 2 are in the Castle in Cape Town and one at the Transvaal Scottish Regiment Memorial Parktown, Jo'burg. Nobody mentioned the whereabouts of the sixth.

Apparently, the cross at Pietermaritzburg sometime weeps around the anniversary of the battle, a mystery to the experts.

Can you believe only one tree survived the battle and that is still to be seen at the memorial today. The avenue of oak trees was planted from acorns germinated in South Africa. Another thing that was mentioned was that when one visits the memorial, there is the most eerie atmosphere and it is said not a bird sound is to be heard.

Also visit www.delvilewood.com

Ann

It is true that the site was infrequently open for quite a while, as the new curators settled in; plus there were some personal reasons, too, as I understand it. However, it does seem to be open on a regular basis now, and the museum is well worth a look, aside from a wander round the wood.

The website you mentioned is actually:

http://www.delvillewood.com/

Had the privilege of meeting the new curator at the Zoo Gun unveiling in JHB on 22 June 2008. He seems to be a great guy and I will be at Delville Wood in September for a visit. He has invited my wife and I to visit him there. I am looking forward to this very much.

I did hear that the Mayor of the local village passed away a few weeks back, first week of July. A great pity, he was a great friend of the Delville Wood memorial.

I will try and find out about the 6th cross and post it later.

• 4 weeks later...

We held a discussion as to the whereabouts and number of crosses last night. I am at Delville Wood next month and was reading up on the Battle and found contradicting evidence on the matter. We contacted Ian Uys and he seems to think the 6th cross is in Kimberly. I believe it is at the Cenotaph in Durban and one of our erstwhile gunners will check it out on Monday. I will let you know.

It seems that 6 is the correct answer and for the record:

2 in the Fort in Cape Town

1 St Johns

1 PMB (Weeping Cross)

1 Jocs in JHB

1 at (Kimberly or Durban)

We held a discussion as to the whereabouts and number of crosses last night. I am at Delville Wood next month and was reading up on the Battle and found contradicting evidence on the matter. We contacted Ian Uys and he seems to think the 6th cross is in Kimberly. I believe it is at the Cenotaph in Durban and one of our erstwhile gunners will check it out on Monday. I will let you know.

It seems that 6 is the correct answer and for the record:

2 in the Fort in Cape Town

1 St Johns

1 PMB (Weeping Cross)

1 Jocs in JHB

1 at (Kimberly or Durban)

It would seem the Cross that is refered too in Kimberly, is one of the 3 Stone crosses (I suppose you are going to ask where the others are now) and not one of those made form the wood of the woods. Now we just need to find out if there is a wood cross in Durben. We should have this answer next week. I will aslo try and get pictures and post them.

• 4 weeks later...
. . . the 3 Stone crosses . . .

This image is from record number H18531 at the Australian War Memorial and which has this summary:

“Kimberley, South Africa. A Cross of Sacrifice for the fallen of WW1. This was one of three Delville Wood Memorials in South Africa. (Donor M. Kramer)”

I have two problems with this summary.

The Cross of Sacrifice is placed in terms of CWGC policy and I do not think that the Cross is meant to be associated with a single battle.

There are in any event rather more three Crosses at those cemeteries in South Africa which qualify in terms of the number of burials.

Carl

Here are the pic of the cross in Durban. I am in contact with the Delville Wood Trust in order to have some work done and for it be secured a little better.

I will keep youn informed.

I can confirm that there is a noted shortage of birdsong in the wood. We held a small service for the men from our village who died there on Wednesday and it was very quiet. It could have been the playing of the Last Post by our bugler that scared the birds off! Seriously though, it was a most moving event as the bugle notes echoed eerily through the wood. The tears just rolled down my cheeks.

Lionboxer