Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge Initials A.C.S.

Marc Thompson

The cap badge below is for 13th (Service) Battalion, Hampshire Regiment and is of Great War vintage. I know of at least three of these in existence.

A simple question: what do the initials A.C.S. stand for? I have a number of thoughts but can anyone come up with an answer, preferably with supporting evidence?

Marc

As you know better than I, Marc, the Battalion was formed on the I o W, so is there a connection there? I can't think of anything, except something "School". Is the badge silver?

Army canteen's service.

Mick

Another view. The badge is all brass.

Just bringing this thread back to the top in case there are any further thoughts.

A couple of other possibilities to throw into the mix -

I have been told that as a reserve battalion the 13/Hants, for a time, acted in the capacity of the Army Courier Service (A.C.S.) effectively delivering official telegrams to next of kin. How true this is I don't know as I have uncovered no written evidence to back up this claim. Did reserve battalions from other regiments act in a similar way?

The second possibility is perhaps a reference to Southern Command (Army Command Southern?).

Unfortunately, as with a number of home service units hardly any paperwork or references to the operation of 13/Hants survive.

Any further thoughts gratefully received.

Marc

I still think its Army Canteen Service, as unglamarous as that sounds.

Mick

Would they still have titled themselve "Service" battalion when they became a Reserve battalion? If not, then the Army Courier Service becomes less likely, I would have thought.

Maybe it's simple, but the best I can come up with is Absolutely Completely Stumped.

I still think its Army Canteen Service, as unglamarous as that sounds.

Mick,

I didn't dismiss the Army Canteen Service (or cadet force) as a possibility but can I ask why you think it would be this?

Marc

Might it just be a manufactuers mark something that denotes that it is a specimen for approval rather than the finished article?

Before WW1 there were various methods of contracting out mess and canteen facilities which were wide open to bribery and corruption. This came to a head during 1913-14 this became known as the canteen scandal, the government investigated these allegations of bribery. At the beginning of WW1 the majority of the army had no official accompanying canteen system. The government requested one trusted organisation, Canteen and Mess Society to cater for the Expeditionary Forces, this was called the Expefitionary Force Canteen, there were other organistions, the Army Canteen Cttee, the Navy and Army Canteen Board. So, basically, many units employed their own canteen staff, and until a better clue comes up, I stick by my guess.

Mick

I am surprised that nobody has yet asked about the rear of the badge and the type of fitting. Would it be possible to see a picture of the rear.

To me the front of the badge has the apperance of an old comrades type badge rather than a uniform/head dress item.

P.B.