Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3955 Rfn Fred Peters-2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade

dennisjnelson

Hello, I'm new to the forum but have spent the weekend browsing through threads looking for info on the 2nd battalion/Rifle Brigade.I noticed a few people with a special interest in this battalion and have some letters that you may enjoy reading.

My grandmothers brother is Rifleman Frederick Peters #3955,Machine Gun Det.,2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade

and I have about 50 letters from him starting from Nov 11/1910, shortly after he signed up, to May 1/1915. He was killed on May 9.

He was in 1st Battalion-G company from Feb 1911 until approx. Dec 1912 when he joined 2nd Battalion-E Company as they went to India.

But of most interest here,I suppose, are 10 letters (and 1 poem) from March 1-May 1 1915

There are also 2 letters from Rfn Bert Pearson #2392 informing the family of his death and a followup with more details.Finally one from Rfn H. Gould #4014 expressing his regrets.Rfn Gould was writing from the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh as he lost part of his left leg in Neuve Chapelle on March 12.

I have the casualty details from CWGC for Fred but if anyone can point me to any more info I would very much appreciate that.

Also, if anyone has any questions about the letters I'd be more than happy to answer.There really isn't much news about any battles but a lot of his opinion and talk about going on and off the line.

Enough for now,Dennis

No doubt that Andy Pay will pick up on this. He's the man you want for the Rifle Brigade.

Lionboxer

Dennis,

Your great-uncle is one of my 9th May men!

Frederick George Peters, born in Folkestone, the son of Robert and Sarah Peters. The family are shown on the 1901 Census as living at 20 Hillside Road, Dover (Parish of Buckland St. Andrew). His father’s occupation was that of a Railway Locomotive Driver.

Frederick enlisted in Dover in 1910 and would have been posted to the 1st Battalion at Colchester. He travelled out to India in December 1912, joining the 2nd Battalion in the January. The Battalion arrived back in England (Liverpool) on 22nd October 1914 and made its way by train down to Winchester from where it marched to Hursley Park where the 8th Division was being assembled. It arrived in France on 7th November 1914.

Frederick was killed on 9th May 1915 at Rouges-Bancs, Fromelles during the northern attack of the Battle of Aubers Ridge. He was twenty-five years old. Fifteen officers and two hundred and forty-seven of his comrades were killed alongside him. At 5.00 a.m. on 10th May, and out of a battalion which had gone into action twenty-four hours earlier with twenty-four officers and something in the region of a thousand men, only two officers and approximately one hundred and ninety-five men marched back to their billets in Sailly. The 2/RB suffered the highest casualties for any unit involved that day - from either the northern or southern attack. Only two of the officers and fourteen of the men have known graves, the rest being commemorated on the Ploegsteert Memorial to the Missing.

The thread regarding the service at Rouges-Bancs on 9th May this year (2nd RB Commemoration) contains a good account of 2nd Lt. Gray, the Battalion’s Machine Gun Officer. At about 12.00 p.m. on 9th May, 2nd Lt. Gray and approximately fifty reinforcements made their way across the open towards the captured German trench, but such was the ferocity of the opposition, that only the officer and about fifteen men arrived, the rest becoming casualties along the way. I can’t help but wonder if your great-uncle was one of those who failed to make it.

Dennis, I would love to see everything which you have relating to Frederick Peters and the thought of all those letters is making my mouth water. :rolleyes:

V.

Victoria

I guess the best place to start would be at the end. I'm sure you will be able to get a better picture of what happened to Fred than I can. So here is the last 2 letters from Rfn Bert Pearson

No date on this one, spelling and punctuation are his.

Dear Mrs Peters

I regret to inform you that poor Fred was killed in action on Sunday last. Death was instantanious, poor lad he never spoke a word, the bullet passed through his forehead.

I feel absolutely lost without him, only 16 of us are left out of 45. They were all very sorry to hear of Freds death.You will have one consolation in your sad bereavement, he died like a soldier.

I was continually telling him to keep his head down but he took no notice, he was always first over the parapet when ever we made an attack. The Germans were waiting on us this time and we had an awful time and many a poor lad went down without a murmur.

I am enclosing two letters which came last night, his parcel was shared out among the team as he said it should be if anything happened to him.

He was buried last night on the battlefield and you can rest assured his grave will be well looked after by our Grave Party.

Poor Fred, he was such a quiet easygoing lad and the best chum I ever had or ever will have. All the boys join you in your sad bereavement

Yours Sincerely

Bert Pearson

P.S.

If you want any other news on particulars I will only be to willing to let you have them.

And the second with more details

Tuesday 18/5/15

Dear Miss Peters

So pleased to hear from you, I can understand your feelings especially your poor mother's. I'm sure she must be in a way about it. I often sit and wonder what my people would think and feel like if I was killed in action.

I can give you the particulars you require and anything else you wish I will do with pleasure.

We were making an attack on Fromelles and Fred got right into the first line of trenches quite safely along with the rest but while we were mounting our gun the Germans opened a very heavy fire and poor Fred fell on one of our chaps, he was killed instantly the bullet going right through his head, he never spoke. I didn't know what to do then I felt so upset and no wonder, Fred was like a brother to me and got me out of many scrapes.

It happened at 6:30 infront of Fromelles at a place Crue Blanc and he was buried there in the Rifle Brigade Graveyard along with a lot more poor chaps. There's a nice plane cross on the grave with his name and number and Regiment put on in black paint and I'm sure it looks grand, there was a vase of flowers some of the Grave party had put on.Don't worry yourself Miss Peters the Grave will be well looked after by the Grave party who go all over France erecting crosses and trimming the Graves of the Brave Boys who have been killed in action.

I'm enclosing Fred's badge which I know you will accept as a keepsake, it is the only thing I have belonging to Fred, also letter which came for him. I have plenty of friends living and receave my "weekly" parcel of good things so I wouldn't like you to go to the trouble of sending a parcel but thanks just the same, and if I do happen to be one of the lucky one's who scrape through this terrible War I will endeavour to make your aquintance.

I'm not a very good hand at putting a letter together but I do hope you find what you require here and that this letter doesn't upset you all again.

I feel real sorry for you all.

With my Sincere Wishes

Yours Truly

Bert Pearson

P.S. I'm sorry, someones taken Freds badge off my blankets while I was away, someone in the company,but I'll try to get it back if I can

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would have been a terribly shocking way to get the news as I'm not sure they would have already been informed.

But of course this was occuring all over the commonwealth.

I don't know if he ever got the badge back, but it's not with what my grandmother saved.

I also have a couple postcards of him and a few friends (peeling potatoes, cleaning rifles) from 1912, I believe, when he was with the 1st Battalion/G Company that I will attempt to add on here.

Any other letters you'd like me to transcribe, just let me know where to start.

Dennis

Here are the links to the postcards.Can anyone confirm that these men are Rifle Brigade at either Colchester or Aldershot.It would help me date them.

Fred Peters is standing 3rd from right in "cleaning rifles"

and 5th from left in "peeling potatos"

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll403/d...13/ww1fred2.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll403/d...l13/ww1fred.jpg

thanks, Dennis

Dennis,

These letters and the photographs are absolutely fantastic! I have seen nothing quite like them. How much more are you willing to share with us?????

The men are definitely Rifle Brigade, but I'm not sure about either Colchester or Aldershot. You mentioned 1912. Are the postcards dated? I only ask because, if not, I have a very strong feeling that they were taken whilst the 8th Division was being assembled at Hursley Park near Winchester in October/November 1914, just prior to leaving for France.

Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I can't wait for the next instalment (hint, hint)! :D

V.

Victoria

No, the postcards are not dated. They would have been mailed with a letter so there are no postmarks or stamps.

In a letter dated Sunday, Sept 8 (no year) from Rushmoor Camp, Aldershot he asks if Edie (my grandmother) and Hetty

(her sister) got the postcards alright and says they are going on manouvers next Sunday. Sept 8 was a Sunday in 1912.

There are references to postcards in other letters but this one made the most sense to me.Of course, it's just a guess.

If it's 1912 this would be members of G company, 1st Battalion

If it's 1914 they would be E company, 2nd Battalion soldiers as he didn't join the Machine Gun Det. til later.If you're correct Bert Pearson and H Gould are possibly pictured in the postcard.I can pick out at least 6 men who are in both photos.

As for the letters, I can post them all on here. I'll Start with the one from Rfn H. Gould since it follows the tone of the 1st two and then go back and do the 10 from the Front since this is a WW1 forum. Then decide from there as to the rest.

Unfortunately, he doesn't mention names of other soldiers in any of them.

Dennis

4014 Rfn. H. Gould

Ward 34 The Royal Infirmary

Edinburgh Scotland

23/6/1915

Dear Mrs Peter's

I now write these few lines to let you know how sorry I am to hear about poor Freddie's death,it may be interesting for you to know that I am a great chum of poor Freddie,when we was in India together, he was a very quiet and steady comrade and a very good soldier indeed,

I am a native of Kent myself I live in Maidstone and I was surprised to see the account of Freddie's death in the Kent-Messenger so I cut it out and sent it to the boys in the Trenches in our Company, there is not many left now Mrs Peters,

I was in the same Company as poor Fred and he went on Machine Gun duty so he left the Company then,

I myself have lost my left Leg just below my thigh, I was Wounded in that terrible Engagement at Neuve Chappelle on March the 10th, I was Wounded two days after we had taken Neuve Chappelle March the 12th, I was on Patrol Duty in front of the Trenches, when the German's came on in hundred's it was a sight that I shall never forget in a hurry,

I hope you will not be offended with me for taking the liberty of sending the new's to the Company but I know they would like to read it Mrs Peters, I am very sorry indeed for you all Mrs Peters but poor Freddie only did his Duty he as given his Life for his Country, although I lost my brother on May 9th, it is a terrible War is this, it will be a happy realise to everybody when Peace is proclaimed but it seems to have no ending yet.

I am so glad to hear that Freddie did not have a lingering death for it is terrible when you are left to linger, well I must close for now wishing you all my deepest sympthy,

I now remain yours

sincerely

Rfn H Gould

2nd Batt The Rifle Brigade

I've read this letter a number of times over the years and never realized that he used commas, not periods and didn't capitalize the new sentence. So I transcribed it exactly as it was written except for the spacing to make it easier to read.

If anyone has any info on Rfn Gould or Bert Pearson I would love to find out something about them also.

I didn't find them in the CWGC database.

Dennis,

These letters are a wonderful insight into what these men experienced. I’d love to see more, but don’t want you getting into trouble at work!

You may well be right about Rushmoor Camp. The following are extracts from the Rifle Brigade Chronicle for 1912:

1st Battalion, Colchester

“On 12 August the whole Brigade left for Aldershot. We camped at Rushmoor Bottom which, during the first fortnight we were there, became a quagmire owing to the incessant rain. Luckily the weather cleared up later for the manoeuvres.”

“On conclusion of Divisional Training we were inspected by the Inspector General near Longmoor. We spent a very cold night in bivouac but escaped night operations owing to the Inspector General being ill.”

“After a day’s rest we started for the Grand Manoeuvres in the Eastern Counties; there to be pitted against the far-famed 1st and 2nd Divisions, of whom all had heard so much. The movement of the Division by rail to the manoeuvre area on Sunday, 15 September was a triumph of organisation. We detrained at Hitchin and marched to Royston, where we camped till 3 a.m. Tuesday. Thence the 4th Division marched to Saffron Walden, taking infinite pains to conceal our movements from the hostile aeroplanes, though how we escaped detection on one occasion when we all fled into a ditch for shelter, is extraordinary. So carefully were all the movements of our force hidden that nobody knew of our whereabouts till we went into action on the Wednesday. We very soon captured a regiment and a half of Cavalry who were in occupation of a farm, quite forgetful of the possible approach of the enemy. The umpires decided that they were “demobilized”, which being interpreted means captured. The remainder of the battle was spent fighting the Guards Brigade, who showed the utmost gallantry, and a complete disregard for enfilade fire. On conclusion of the manoeuvres we marched back here, halting one night at Braintree on the way. We were all very pleased to be back again after six weeks’ absence.”

At the moment I have very little information on Rfn. Gould, but there should be more to follow:

Rifleman Henry Herbert Gould (4014)

Landed in France on 7 November 1914

Discharged 6th May 1916

Does the letter from Bert Pearson give his Regimental Number? I think that I may have tracked him down, but would like to be certain before offering up any information.

As an aside, if your great-uncle travelled out to India in December 1912, he would have had my great-uncle as a travelling companion. Rifleman Charles Durrant also transferred from the 1st Battalion to the 2nd at this time and was also killed at Rouges-Bancs on 9th May 1915.

V.

V

Bert Pearson #2392

Also I googled Rushmore Camp and found these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALDERSHOT.-Hampshire...080702093a32400

http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/exhibns/month/sep2005.html

scroll down to the postcard on the second site. Both are 1914,so now i'm not sure!Mine could also be 2 different times and/or places. Do You recognize any of the same trees or tents ;-)

Anyway, I do have a letter with a detailed account of the manoeuvers including hiding from the "Red Army" aeroplanes and capturing nearly all the 4th Dragoons. Would they be the Cavalry?

Also have a detailed account of the trip to India aboard the Dufferin.Here's some dates and times.

Left Colchester Dec 19 5:30 am by train to Southampton

Left Southampton at 5:00pm Aboard Dufferin to Karachi arriving Thursday Jan 9

Left Karachi 8:00pm that night by train arriving in Rawalpindi at 7:00pm on the 11th.

I will post these letters eventually.

Dennis

Here's the 1st letter from France. The one previous to this is from India on Aug 26 1914.Nothing between then and March 1st. Left Karachi around Sept 4 aboard "Dongola" arriving in Liverpool Oct 22. I don't know what became of the letters between Oct and March.

3955 Rfn F Peters

Machine Gun Det -note address

2nd Batt R Bde

address as usual

March 1st

Dear Mother

Just a few lines to let you know that I am still safe and I hope you are all quite well at home.We are out in billets now but we get relieved by some fresh troops tomorrow, which include some Canadians, I believe. We go back a few miles for a rest, how long for I cannot say, but I expect we shall get route marches, field days, etc. to make us fit again for the big advance that will be coming off shortly. I have been selected to go through a course of machine gun and am picking it up very well.

We have not had so much rain here lately, but had a fall of snow a week ago. Now we are getting March weather, cold dry winds. The Germans in front of us have been pretty quiet lately, except of course the snipers, they are always sending over spare shots.

The church behind our trenches that I mentioned about in one of my letters, still stands up as if defying the power of the Germans to knock it down. Of course you can see more holes than church if you understand my meaning, but it still holds together. It is disgraceful the way the Germans have treated the beautiful churches out here, especially those at Rheims, Ypres, and Louvain. They will have to account for all this when the day of reckoning comes, won't they?

Now they are getting slowly starved out, and are so desperate that they have turned into pirates. This will make it all the worse for them, it cannot make any difference to us. As a matter of fact,I see they have sunk as many of the ships belonging to neutral nations as they have of ours. Of course, they would be within their rights if they gave the crews or passengers chance to escape, but they don't. They are blinded with hate against England, whom they look upon as the cause of all the trouble.

Well mother, we all hope it will finish soon, don't we. Everyone asks the same senseless question "How long will the war last, do you think?" I should say the best answer would be "For ever if necessary" In my opinion it is nearing its end now.

I was very pleased with what you sent out, carry on with the same sort of things. I should like you to let me know if you receive the money I am sending, as the War Office are inclined to be a bit slack. Perhaps there is some excuse for them now as they have a lot to attend to.

Have you still got soldiers billetted with you. I suppose it keeps you busy attending to them, doesn't it mother, but never mind, everyone must do their little bit now and put up with some inconvenience. Think what it would be like if the Germans did get a footing in England. Of course, that will never happen will it, but it would learn a lot of people at home a lesson.

Well goodbye once again, mother

Love to all from your son Fred

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 6 (to his sister Olive)(the Alf mentioned became my grandfather-Alf Stockwell #6525 1st Battalion CEF)

Dear Olly

I am glad to say I received your letter quite safely, also mother's parcel. I thank you all very much for what you sent. Tell mother I should like some strawberry jam if she likes to send it but tell her not to put in anything too heavy, as the parcels cost a lot to send. I've been told it is scandalous the postage that has to be paid on them. I could not see anything pencilled out in the People, but perhaps you mean the next one she sends out.

I think the Kaiser is tired of trying to get to Calais, but he is welcome to have another go, we are ready for him.

I am glad to hear mother is getting my remittance. What with that and the billet money I don't suppose it will make any difference to her having to pay a bit extra for bread and coal. I saw my poor mates photo in the Folkestone paper, it was a very good one of him. I took it round to the company and showed it to them.

I hope dad's cold is better. I must tell you that we have been out of the trenches a week now and have been relieved by fresh troops. There were some Canadians amongst them but I don't know whether Alf is with them or not. We are not getting much of a rest back here, and are kept busy at musketry,routemarches, running, bayonet fighting and digging etc., just as if there was no war on at all, although the firing line is only about five miles away. We should like to get a leave but have heard nothing about one yet, so we live in hopes. If we can't get one,well, we can't, that's all, it's no use grumbling, is it.

We are getting the March winds here now alright. I am working the stiffness out of my joints a bit, and we get a good nights rest, now thats a great comfort. We didn't realise how crippled and bad we were till we started running about again back here.

The war is going against the Germans more every day now, the Russians are having another smack at them, and they can't, make any headway on this side at all. The plucky little Belgians actually drove them back again in are part of the line.Well, Olly, I can't find much else to say now, we are expecting to move somewhere shortly, but we don't know anything till the last minute. So goodbye again, dear, hoping this finds you all well, as it leaves me at present.

Your affectionate brother

Fred

March 21st

Dear mother

I received both parcels safely and was very pleased with them. I thank you very much for what you sent but don't send any more sugar, mother, I can always get enough of it now. I should like you to send out in the next parcel instead of eatables, a razor, toothbrush and paste, and a small pair of folding scizzors.

I suppose you will have seen the letter I wrote to Edie by now so you will know that I came safely out of the big battle. No doubt you read all about it in the People, but that was only the official reports. There will be a lot more details given when Sir John French issues his despatches. We were surprised to see what a big affair it was, according to the papers. We suddenly realised we had earnt a name in history, but we had a heavy price to pay for it.

If you keep a look out in the People you will see the casualty lists published in 3 or 4 weeks time and will find a lot of Rifle Brigade names in them, for we were right in the thick of it. We came out of the trenches into billets last night, properly exhausted with what we had gone through during the last eleven days. When we, that is what is left of us, look back on what has happened during this time, it seems like some horrible nightmare. You can guess what we were like when we came back here, not having washed or shaved for twelve days, and having had no proper sleep. Besides the strain on your body there is a worse one on your mind. You have to keep your head below the parapet or the snipers would soon pick you off, while you have to keep a look out for the shells whistling overhead, for the splinters fly in all directions.

We don't know what is going to happen now from one day to another, but one thing is certain, we shan't get much rest. Our hopes of that have vanished, although we all think we have earnt a weeks leave, seeing what we have had to go through since we landed in France on Nov 7th. Still, I suppose we can't be spared, so we wait patiently and cheerfully till we have finished the Germans off. One thing is certain, we shall never see Germany. I don't suppose for a minute we shall drive them out of Belgium even, but all the same, I think the end of it all is in sight.

It is a marvel how Germany has held out so long as she has when you consider who she has got against her. It only shows how for years she has been preparing for this war, and yet people in England took no notice, not even when Lord Roberts told them. They have learned a lesson now, I think.

Well mother, I don't think I can say much more at present. I suppose you still draw the money regularly. Let me know if you do not. Have you got any fresh soldiers in yet. We are getting nice weather now although we had some falls of snow a few nights ago, the going out of winter, I suppose. I don't want to spend next winter out here, the mud and slush was awful. We are still wondering how we stuck it. Still, I suppose if we had to spend another winter like it, we should pull through just the same. We were well looked after, that's one comfort, and had more than enough of food and warm clothing.

Lets hope the soldiers are not forgotten again as soon as the war is over. They are everybody just now, of course. It was just the same during the Boer War. I thought this slip of paper would interest dad, so goodbye mother, hoping to be with you all again someday. Trusting you are all well as it leaves me at present

Your loving son Fred

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 30

"Somewhere in France"

Dear Hetty (another sister)

I received your letter quite safely and you are quite right, the time does seem to hang out, but there is one blessing, the weather here is delightful again, although still rather cold. I thought those photos were very good indeed, and you can send me one of yours if you wish to.

Of course, you will have known by this time that I took part in the big battle. We came out of the trenches again on the 20th, and have had two moves along the line since but have been in billets all the time. We go into some trenches again on the 2nd of next month. I think, but I expect we shall be on the move once more shortly. We hope to have the Germans out of France by the end of May.

You can let mother know that I got the last parcel quite safely, and was pleased with everything. The biscuits did not crumble up like the cake. It is not right that they should charge so much for parcels, why, you could have sent them to India for half the amount.

I have seen hundreds of Canadians about here during the last few days, both Rifles and Artillery. You must tell Edie to let me know what Alf belongs to, then I may be able to see him. Folkestone must seem a strange place now, with the New Army, Canadians, Belgians, and French people living there. The shop people must be making their fortunes.

The country here is looking pretty now, although it is very desolate, nothing but ruins meeting your eye at every turn. At the few places that have not been touched you see all the people back here working on the land, women doing as much as the men, or more. It reminds me of Ireland in that respect.

We can buy pain (bread), la beurre (butter), du lait (milk), and oeuf (eggs) at the farmhouses where we billet.Those that care for it can get Biere (beer) at the estaminets, or public houses, but no cognac or spirits are allowed to be sold. French people don't drink tea (the), cafe, or coffee is their national drink. In every livingroom the walls are covered with religious picturesof Jesus and the Virgin Mary, as all of the people are devout Catholics, indeed, they seem to think more of their religion than we do of ours. It is a shame that the Germans should have treated these poor innocent people the way they have, but they will have to suffer for it soon.

The Russians are in Prussia again now, I see, and I don't think Von Hindenburg will be able to keep them back, good general as he is. Austria is practically finished, they should never have started war, but of course they, and Turkey, were led on by Germany. I think it will be almost over by August, although people who imagine that the Germans are short of food, ammunition, etc. are greatly mistaken.

Well,Hetty, I don't think there is much else to write about now, so I will close this letter, hoping it finds you all in the best of health and spirits, as it leaves me at present.

Your loving brother

Fred

I've a little wet home in the trench

Which the rainstorms continually drench

There's a dead cow just by

With feet t'wards the sky

Which gives off a terrible stench

Underneath in the place of a floor

There's a mass of wet mud and some straw

And the Jack Johnson's tear

through the rain soddened air

O'er my little wet home in the trench

There are snipers who keep on the go

So you must keep your "napper" down low

Then the star shells at night

Make a deuce of a light

Which causes the language to flow

Then bully and biscuits we chew

For its days since we tasted a stew

For with shells dropping there

No place can compare

With our little wet home in the trench

F.P. "Shakespeare"

Tuesday April 5th

Dear mother

Just a few lines to let you know that I am still getting on alright and that I got your parcel safely last night, have also received the papers safely.Everything in the parcel suited me down to the ground. The toothpaste is excellent, and as for the buns, they were very nice indeed although one or two were broken in halves. The packet of cocoa had burst open, but this is the first time that has happened, still it wasn't wasted.I hope dad's throat is better now, we have had some funny weather, haven't we. I have got a bit of a cold myself.

We have had a taste of the April showers already, it has been raining for two days, but is clearing up again now nicely.

We have been resting for twelve days since we left the scene of the fighting, then we did three days in the trenches just by our old position where we had been for four months.Now we are out again for three days, going in tomorrow night, relieving the Irish Rifles. Then we come out in billets again for six days, I believe. Of course, we never know what is going to happen for certain.

The Germans opposing us here are Saxons, so we hear, and they are not particularly friendly with the Prussians. They seem very quiet and don't worry us much, although it would not be safe to show ourselves too much. Their trenches are 180 yards distant, doesn't that seem close, yet in many parts of the line they are but 50 yards away. There has never been such a peculiar state of affairs happen in a war before. It seems as if we could get over and clear them out of it in a couple of minutes, but then there is the barbed wire entanglements that would delay us a lot. It is just the same with them. At nighttime the star shells, which are rockets fired from pistols, light up the ground like day, and then there are searchlights as well.

On the 1st the Germans were singing for all they were worth, I suppose they had heard some more "good news". But the majority of them are beginning to realise that the game is up. They don't attack with the spirit they used to, indeed, their generals admit that all the crack troops were sacrificed in the rush for Calais. It is very seldom they shell us now either.

Well mother, it is quite mild here now, and it seems quite a treat to get rid of our cold feet. We used to be continually stamping them. Many a time I have stood in the mud and slush and marked time on one spot for seven or eight hours, it became a regular habit. The men who were sent back with frostbite used to warm their feet before the charcoal fires, at any rate, a good many of them. Of course this made them worse.

Well, ma, I must finish here, hoping this letter finds you all well, as it leaves me at present.

Your affectionate son

Fred

April 6th

Dear Hetty

I received your letter with the parcel last night. The toothpaste is excellent, also remainder of the things. I hope to be home in a few months if all goes well. It is best to look on the bright side of things, isn't it, although there hasn't been anything bright much to look upon out here till just lately.

I read about the Falaba, it is wicked the way the Germans are carrying on, isn't it. It only shows how desperate things are getting with them, they don't know what to do. All their splendidly thought out schemes have gone wrong from the beginning. Their allies, Austria and Turkey are almost finished with now and then Germany will be like some wild beast, beating its claws against an iron cage and trying to escape.

"John Bull" says it will be a matter of months now and Sir John French as good as says so. So long as we are kept well supplied with ammunition, time will beat the Germans. We can afford to hang on and they cannot.

Well dear, we are getting wet weather here again now, but we must expect it, I suppose, being April. We are back again near our old positions now, and are out in billets. We relieve the Irish Rifles in the trenches tomorrow night.

I shall look out for the letter in the Herald. Of course, I should have known they wouldn't have put the photo in. It is only in the case of casualties. I remember Harold Baldock, where is he now and what is he doing. Of course, I don't suppose many in Folkestone know me, but if the letter had been put in the Dover Express it would have been different, wouldn't it.

Don't send any shaving slick. You can send the quinine pills or phosferine if you like, although I am not troubled with nerves much. I like the machine gun alright. You can mow the Germans down splendid with them, they fire 450 rounds a minute. Yes, I use the rifle as well and bagged a few Germans at Neuve Chapelle when they were counter attacking. They were so close together it was impossible to miss them.

Glad to hear Emmie's husband's alright, also "Bris". I don't believe in closing the pubs altogether, but if the men won't work, and drink to excess, it is the only thing to do. They don't seem to realise how serious a matter it is. If things happened in England that occurred here and in Belgium, it would wake them up a lot.

Well au revoir, once more dear

From your loving brother

Fred

The letter in the Herald he's referring to is in a post at the end of this thread. Dennis

April 13

Dear mother

Just a few lines to let you know that I received your parcel quite safely last night. The cake kept together alright and we liked it very much. You need not send cigarettes. I always get plenty. I read my letter in the Herald, there seemed quite a lot of it when it was written down in print, but then there was not half there that I could have written about the fight. It is impossible to describe everything that occured.

It is very quiet again now in this part, but I expect it is only the calm before the storm. I saw those pictures of Neuve Chapelle in that piece of paper, and was around the two spots all day. The Germans were shelling it, and bricks, tiles, and rafters kept falling about us. The ground was like a nutmeg grater, one mass of big holes caused by the terrific explosions. A cemetary was torn up, and all the headstones were smashed to atoms and strewed the ground. Dead bodies were blown up, some were of our poor fellows who had been killed about there in August or September. Anyone who visited the place now and was ignorant that a war was on, would think an earthquake had taken place.

Well, we are back again for a rest, I think we get a week. We had continual rain during our stay in the trenches and came out plastered with mud again. It is finer again now though and of course very mild now. Sir John French is paying us a visit on the 17th and I suppose he will have some nice things to say to us. We have heard that some divisions of Kitcheners will be out here in a few days time, but we don't know how true it is. Anyhow, I don't suppose they will be long now.

Dear mother, those scissors were quite suitable for me, you need not have took the trouble to chase around the shops trying to get better ones. Do you still get my money regularly, let me know if you do not. I hope dad is alright again now, what did he have, a quinsy throat?

Well you can see now how the war is going more against the Germans every day, they can't win a battle anywhere now. They sacrificed all their best troops trying to get to Calais, and the war has been as good as won since November, only the state of the ground has prevented any of us from advancing. I don't think we shall ever get much farther than we are now on this side, we can afford to hang on here,and it is better than sacrificing thousands of lives, as we should do.

The Russians are driving the Austrians back like a flock of sheep, and I think they will give in at any moment. When they do it will be practically all up with Germany. I still keep thinking I shall be home by August if all goes well.

Well mother, there is not much else I can say at present, except to hope that you are all well at home. Remember me to all at Cheriton. I suppose they are alright, aren't they. We didn't get much of a holiday here at Easter, did any of you go anywhere. Well I will finish up now mother, once again thanking you for the parcel.

So goodbye again

From your loving and affectionate son

Fred

Edited by dennisjnelson

Dennis, I have read these letters over and over again. These are the only first-hand accounts I have seen of what the men experienced prior to the 9th May 1915. Absolutely incredible stuff! Fred writes in one of his letters "I don't want to spend next winter out here". Little did he know that he would never know another winter!

I think that you are right and that the two postcards are of Rushmoor Camp. It was just wishful thinking on my part that they could have been of Hursley Park. Ah well, one day ..... :rolleyes:

Further to your requests for more information on Riflemen Gould and Pearson:

Rifleman Henry Herbert Gould (4014)

Enlisted 24th October 1910

Arrived France 7th November 1914

Discharged 6th May 1916 through wounds

Rifleman Herbert Pearson (Z-2392)

Enlisted late August/early September 1914

Arrived France 19th January 1915

Discharged 3rd March 1919 (Class Z)

When I get time, I'll have a look for their service records. It may add a little more to the picture. I have an account of the journey back from to India to England in 1914, an edited version of which I shall try to post later. In the meantime, dare I ask .... ??? :D

V.

Thurs. April 22

Dear mother

I thought I would write to tell you that I received the papers quite safely. We came out of the trenches last night and had fine weather (unknown) indeed. It is lovely here just now. I suppose you all got my last letters safely, telling you that I received the parcel and cards. You can send out another pencil with the next one as I have lost the other.

What kind of weather are you having at home now? Have you had any more soldiers billetted with you yet or aren't you getting any more?

We have heard that a lot of Kitchener's have arrived here now, about 80,000 but we don't know what truth there is in it, although we have seen battalions of them behind the firing line, and have had scores of officers and non-coms in our trenches to gain a knowledge of how to go on. It is fairly quiet in our part of the line, but we have heard some heavy firing on the left. I saw in the papers dated the 20th that our troops had captured an important hill near Ypres, so no doubt that explains why it was.

Well mother, we were inspected on the 17th by Sir John French and he had a lot of nice things to say about us. "We had a great record to maintain in the Rifle Brigade, but at Neuve Chapelle we had surpassed it, more especially on the second day, when we were held up, being shelled heavily from the wood. To hang on there and not give way an inch was magnificent, and he could never praise us sufficiently for what we had done. He knew he could rely on us to do the same again if required."

The full story of the battle by Sir J. French, has now been published in the papers, so you can get an idea now of what it was like. Everything went well up to a certain point. Our brigade had pushed forward through the village and on to the big wood, but the 23rd Bde on the left were delayed owing to the enemies barbed wire not having been destroyed sufficiently, while communication was lost between the artillery and their observors. Then our reinforcements were much too late in coming up, and the enemy were enabled to bring up big reserves and collect together again in the wood. So that we never gained quite so much ground as we should have done, especially considering the price we paid for it-13,000 casualties. The Middlesex and Scottish Rifles suffered most, and we came next, I think.

I am looking forward to the next People, as I want to read full particulars. There were several of our casualties published in the last one, but most of ours have not appeared yet. Our 4th Battalion were fighting at St Eloi at the same time and were one of the five regiments mentioned by Sir J French as having specially distinguished themselves. The others were the Irish Fusiliers, Leinsters, Cornwalls, and Princess Pats (Canadians).

I haven't run across Alf yet, as we have lost sight of the Canadians again. We amused ourselves in the trenches yesterday afternoon by watching one of our biplanes over the German lines. They sent up about fifty shells, and they burst all around it, but it still continued gliding slowly towards us, and after the Germans had ceased shelling had the sauce to turn around again and go back for some more. There is no doubt about it, our flying men are daredevils, Thay are much too good for the Germans anyway, and they will not come near them. I have never seen an aeroplane come to grief here yet, although 5 Germans have been brought down since the 15th.

We are getting an easier time of it here now. We get three days in the trenches, three out, three in again, and then nine days out. The trenches are very comfortable to what they were two months ago. We keep clean and dry now. My cold feet are things of the past, while the stiffness in my joints, especially the legs, is wearing off. We can bask in the sunshine and enjoy a good sleep during the day now, while there is not the continual heartbreaking digging that there was. The original muddy trenches have disappeared, and parapets composed of millions of sandbags, supported in places by wire netting, have taken their places.

We can always get plenty of "grub" and buy bread, sugar, butter, and eggs to take into the trenches with us. The usual thing is to form small schools of five or six men, and then one buys one thing and one the other. This is known as "mucking in". Coal, wood, flour, fat, potatoes, quaker oats,etc. are all lugged into the trenches in sacks. I get plenty to eat, and very seldom touch bully or biscuits now. The meat and vegetable ration, issued sometimes in the place of bully, and consisting of preserved beef, potatoes, onions, carrots, beans, and gravy, can be made very tasty if it is boiled in water, while one or two packets of peaflour improves it further. Bacon, cheese, jam, and more often than not, bread, are issued daily.

We get many useful necessaries from the various funds, such as writing paper, fags, laces, matches, soap, sweets, knives, etc. Of course, they have left off sending us warm clothing now, but it has proved a perfect godsend to us during the dark, dreary winter.

There is one thing I was going to say, mother! Edie and Hetty have asked me to mention anything special I wished them to send out. Well, we don't get quite so many fags now as we did, so they can put some Woodbines and Players in the next parcel if they will, not many, half a dozen packets of each kind will be plenty. Also could they send out one or two songbooks- some of the good old ones and some of the rags. We like to exercise our lungs out here now and again, as it livens us up and whiles away the time.

Well mother, I don't think there is much more to say now. You get all the news there is in the papers. The war is still going against the Germans and I think there will be a big alteration in June. I read the account of the "terrible" Zeppelin raids, the one at Sittingbourne scared a few fowls, I believe.

I hope you are all getting on well at home, and that dad's throat is better now. I want to have a game of football this afternoon. We are billetted at a nice little place--, that hasn't been damaged at all! It seems strange to see houses again with the roofs on and no windows in the walls where they shouldn't be, quite a welcome change.

I am waiting for a letter from Olly now. There is one more thing I wanted to say. Have any of my letters been cut short? And did you get the two printed slips of paper I sent you before and after Neuve Chapelle. If so, take care of them.

Well, dear mother, I will close now, hoping that I return home very soon safe and sound, and that this letter finds you all well, at Folkestone, Cheriton, and Shorncliffe, and now, with love and kisses to all

I remain

Your loving and affectionate son

Fred

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love the reference to the aeroplanes, considering this is only 11 years after the Wright brothers 1st flight.

Monday April 26

Dear mother

I must write again to let you know that I received the parcel and papers quite safely. The parcel was quite a surprise as I was not expecting one. That cake was very nice, but the cocoa was broken open, so I should not send anymore unless you get it in the tins. Don't forget the fags will you? With the letter I sent off two days ago I also enclosed some cuttings from the Daily Mail in an envelope, so let me know if you received them. I thought you would all like to read them as they gave a very good idea of what Neuve Chapelle was like.

You might tell Hetty that I got her Sunday Pictorial. I thank you all very much for what you have sent, not forgetting Willie and Georgie. The toffee was rather sticky but very nice.

We came out of the trenches tonight- only two days in this time. There are strong rumours flying round that another attack is to be made shortly. We shall soon see if it is true, and I will let you know when anything does happen. We hope to have the Germans out of France very shortly. Once we get them properly on the run, the cavalry will now be able to direct them on the shortest route to Berlin.

I see the papers almost every day, and according to them, Italy will be joining in at any moment now. Look out for good news from the Dardanelles very shortly. This will help to hasten the end of this terrible war, which I think everyone is getting tired of, although determined to see it through to the bitter end. The great danger now is from the " Peace at any price" party, who would cause us to start the whole thing over again in another couple of years time.

I haven't anything else to say just now, so will con clude this letter, hoping it finds you all cheerful and well, as it leaves me at present.

Your loving son

Fred

May 1st

Dear Hetty

I got the papers quite safely, and thank you very much for them. We are back in billets now in our old part of the line, where we were before we went to Neuve Chapelle. It is lovely weather here now, and it is like paradise in the trenches to what it was three months ago. Then we used to muffle up in cap comforters, fur coats, jerseys, overcoats, and goodness knows what. Now we can recline in the sun in shirt sleeves. It will be almost as hot as India out here very soon, I believe.

The country looks pretty with the land all under cultivation again, the trees in blossom and birds singing- war in such a place seems worse than ever. We are still having a quiet time of it here, although big battles are in progress close by. We were pleased to hear of the Canadians recapturing their guns. It was splendid of them, but only what we expected.

While I was doing sentry go by the gun the other night I could distinctly hear the Germans shouting over to us, whistling and cat-calling. We could catch the words "You Engleese" in their low gutteral voices, but what they were trying to tell us we could not make out. Perhaps they were giving us some more of the "Berlin official news." You can understand them thinking they are still winning, especially when none of the Allied armies are over their frontiers yet. Still, that makes no difference in this war, as we can beat them just as well whether we are in their country or out of it.

They are using poisonous gases now, but of course, we have ceased to be surprised at their methods of "war", it only shows how desperate they are getting. They cannot do anything by fair means and they won't by foul.

Well, goodbye Hetty, hoping this finds you well and happy, as it leaves me at present.

Your loving brother

Fred

Well, that's all the letters from France that I have. If you're interested in the trip to India I can post that one here also, or anything else you might be curious about. For some reason, there's a gap between Sept 14 1913 to Aug 26 1914, when they were called back from India. I don't know what happened there although I have 4 letters from the family to him in India.

I'll hold off now till I hear from you. (or anyone else that's interested)

Dennis

Dennis,

A few words of thanks from myself for posting these fantastic letters. They provide a fascinating first-hand account into the 'trench life' experienced by men of 2/RB around the time of Neuve Chapelle and in the lead up to the 9th May 1915.

I have accompanied Victoria to Fromelles and the surrounding area on a number of occasions and speaking personally these letters help to bring the men to life again. To my mind letters such as these are more valuable than any medal.

Thanks again

Marc

Hi Dennis,

Marc's absolutely right; these letters do help to bring the men to life and give us a wonderful insight into their lives in the trenches.

The following is an extract from the 1914 Rifle Brigade Chronicle, detailing the Battalion's movements from the outbreak of war up to the time they boarded the ship for home. I find these accounts fascinating and I hope that they will help to give you an idea of your great-uncle's experiences at that time. I'll post an separate account of the sea journey home.

1914 – Murree Hills, India

By July we had news that we were to sail in the Dongola for England and Colchester about 29 October and everything was being quietly got ready for the move. And then, just as we were settling down to count the days till 29 October, the War broke out. For us in India those first three weeks were a nightmare. Practically no news of any sort came through, one thing only seemed certain and that was that no one in the Frontier Divisions would stir. We could do nothing but wait and be ready. We route-marched continuously in our new web equipment that had just been issued to us, carrying greatcoats so as to get accustomed to the weight of a pack. This was a great novelty in India, where strings of mules and camels are usually provided to carry your smallest wants. We wired to our Colonel Commandant [Major General Sir F. Howard], we wrote to everyone we could think of to get us out of India, but the days went by and though other troops were under orders, there was no word for us.

At length 25 August, the Regimental Birthday, came around. We spent the day playing inter-platoon hockey 8-a-side, and Officers –v- Sergeants’ Football. The Colonel was a tower of strength in goal and Percival [Major Claude Percival] was unsurpassed at back and when at the end of an hour and a half the game ended through sheer exhaustion, the score stood at one goal all and the honour was satisfied.

It was a day none of us will ever forget. That night the Colonel received the wire for us to get ready to embark at once for England. For, at two in the morning, he was woken up by the following telegram from Simla: “Direct Second Rifle Brigade to prepare at once for embarkation to England at very early date.” The move was to be on a peace-scale bringing all our families with us. In a very few minutes all the officers had collected in the Mess, and the mess waiters had to be shown the telegram before they would believe the news was true and that all the officers had not suddenly gone mad.

We set to work at once to pack up and the next three days were heavy work for everyone, especially the Quartermaster’s department. The telegram had arrived early Wednesday morning, 26 August and by Saturday 29, Durham [Lt. Edward Durham] with an advanced party, all our families and all the heavy baggage were down in Pindi and the Battalion stood waiting in dismantled barracks for the final order to move. On the Friday afternoon we had held an auction on the Barracks Square of all our spare goods. The most wonderful collection of rubbish was produced and sold to a howling mass of natives who, for hours afterwards, were to be seen trekking away down the hill with their spoils.

On Thursday 1 September, at 1.00 a.m., we got the telegram to move at once and be in Bombay not later than the 8th. This meant getting a move on with a vengeance and it was only thanks to our having sent our heavy baggage and families on to Pindi that made it at all possible. We had rouse at 5.00 a.m., finished our packing up and, handing over barracks, marched out of Kuldana for the last time at 2.00 p.m. We had a great send-off from many old friends, besides the bands of the 60th, North Staffords and Yorkshires.

We marched 13 miles to Tret that night and bivouacked there pretty weary after the excitements of the day, but at 10.00 p.m. we were all soaked to the skin by torrents of rain and, as rest was impossible, the Colonel decided to push straight on to Barakao, another 14 miles, which we reached at 4.00 a.m.. Barakao is at the foot of the hills and the heat all day was stifling with very little shade. However, we had our noses for home and no one cared so long as we kept moving.

We left Barakao at 2.00 in the morning and reached Pindi at 6.00 a.m. on Saturday 6 September. There in the rest camp we washed and fed and then packed ourselves away in two troop trains. Thanks to Durham, all our heavy baggage was already loaded and the two trains left at noon and 1.00 p.m., the Colonel with Nos. 1 and 4 Companies going by the first train, Harman [Major George Harman] with 2 and 3 on the second. The less said about that train journey, the better. Until we were south of Muttra, the heat was intensely trying in the crowded carriages and no arrangements appeared to have been made for our feeding anywhere along the line until we got to Rutlam about breakfast time on Monday morning.

However, all good things come to an end and early on Tuesday morning, 8 September, both troop trains steamed into Princes’ Dock, Bombay, only for us to find that we were not expected so soon and were not wanted for another week! Someone had blundered! However, we could not bed down for 10 days on the quayside and so, at 10.00 a.m., we started to embark on the S.S. Somali. By night the whole Battalion and all the baggage was on board and we had the first drink since Barakao, a free bottle of beer all round with which to drink the health of our French Allies, presented to us by three French Reserve Officers passing through Pindi, and a very welcome drink it was too, for the Battalion had man-handled quite 50 tons of baggage 3 times, marched 40 miles by road, entrained, travelled 1,700 miles by rail, dis-entrained and embarked – all in 132 hours!

Marc and Victoria

You're most welcome, although you should be thanking my grandmother who brought these letters from England in 1919 and kept them safe for over 60 years until passed down to the family.

And thanks again V for the account of their trip to the embarkation point in Bombay. This next letter is from Aug 26th about what they were expecting to occur. I wonder if any family members were waiting for the Dongola to arrive in Liverpool and missed them coming in on the S.S. Somali?

Kuldana, India

Aug. 26

Dear Olly

I thought I would answer your letter while I had the chance, and it will do for Edie as well. I was glad to hear you all enjoyed the sea trip. I suppose mother and dad were disappointed at having their journey for nothing. I expect Folkestone was crowded out with the sailors. I can picture little Willie taking the names of the ships off the men's caps.

You must tell Edie I was pleased with the cards and guide books. I suppose she is looking forward to seeing Alf again soon, isn't she?

Well, Olly, we can think of nothing else but the war here. The trooping season has been cancelled, but we have just had orders today (Thursday) to start packing up in readiness for leaving India. We are expecting to begin marching back to Rawal Pindi on Saturday, and will trek the 40 miles in 2 days. We shall take train here for the 900 mile journey to Karachi, where we shall board the troopship Dongola and leave for Europe probably on the 4th of Sept. I expect we shall come to England somewhere, and join the 2nd Army Corps which is just being formed. Anyhow we shan't be sent to Belgium or Germany at once, and most likely will get a week or two's leave. Of course this is only guesswork, we know nothing for certain, and we may stop at Egypt,Malta, Marseilles or anywhere else. We are leaving India at any rate, and I think the 3rd KRR's from Lucknow are journeying with us, as we have been specially asked for by Gen. Cowens.

The news came in here today that 2000 of our troops had been killed or wounded, and no doubt some of our 1st Batt. were amongst them, but you know that better than I do. I suppose all the troops have gone from Shorncliffe and Dover, haven't they? We are glad we are leaving here to be in the thick of it, and are not shaking on a few Germans. Once the Russians and French begin to close together, I think it will be all up with them. They have even got Japan against them now, it is too many on to one? I hope they get crushed, the war would have had to come sooner or later.

I hope you all keep alright, and that dad's work carries on just the same. I don't suppose it affects trades much at home yet, does it. You shouldn't run short of food at any rate, with the colonies giving such a lot. We can't hear any news of the Fleet, but I expect they are bottling the Germans up in the Kiel Canal.

Well dear, I can't send any p-cards this time, and you must wait for me to write again before you do. So, goodbye to all, hoping to see you again soon, God willing.

Goodbye from Fred

Victoria

Since our grand-uncles sailed together to India, you may be interested in Fred's account of the voyage and their first few weeks there. I'll skip over the family talk, it's a long letter.

Wed Feb 5 1913

We left Colchester early, at 5:30 on the 19th Dec. and got to Southampton at 12. We stopped at Aldershot to pick up some KRR's an 5th Dragoons. We went on board the Dufferin, which was just opposite the train, and got our spare kit stacked away in the hold, and were told off in messes. There were drafts coming in all the afternoon and we whiled away the time watching them come in. At 5 o'clock the ship moved off from the quay and there was a lot of shouting going on for nearly an hour. A lot of the troops had their friends down to see them off and a lot of women and girls starting crying. One of our chaps, who is on the way here now with the next draft, stood on one of the capstans they moor the boats to. All the people, about 300 or more, were crowding round him, and he was waving his bowler hat, and bawling out " Are we downhearted." Then all the troops on board shouted back "No." We kept this up till we were about a mile from the quay, when the people gradually went away.

At 8 o'clock we stopped off Netley Hospital for the night, starting off again at 5 next morning. The boats always stop like this leaving Southampton, as it is too dangerous to pass by the Needles in the night. The next morning we saw the last of old England for a good time. We passed down the Solent between Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, of which we got a very good view, especially the Needles, three sharp pices of rock sticking out of the water about 200 ft high. This was the last we saw of the land.

We soon got used to the life on board. We were all queer for the first two days while in the Channel. I wasn't sick, but I felt dizzy and couldn't eat much. The grub we got wasn't very grand, and as it was cooked by the crew, who were all halfbreeds or Lascars as they are called, it didn't give us much appetite to eat it. We used to amuse ourselves watching them make their own grub. They would mix up a lot of curry and flour stuff, treading all over it with their feet. When it was cooked they would all squat round and maul it out with their fingers. It looked as if they never washed, for their skins, which were brown or black, looked regularly going green with stale dirt. They were good sailors though, and they are of course cheaper to employ than Englishmen. A lot or in fact most of them come from Bombay or Karachi. The ships bugler and some others had been in the Indian army. The Dufferin is owned by the Indian government, and you don't find Lascars on the other troopships. Up alongside their quarters were kept sheep, goats, dogs, rabbits and pigs, it looked more like Captain Scott's Polar Expedition.

While we were in the channel we run down a smack. This was in the night, and we knew nothing about it till next morning. There was no one drowned. On the third day we got into the Bay, which it took us two days to get through. It wasn't very rough here, the waves didn't ever look like coming over the decks. We had it rough one night though, the boat was rolling and we were pitching against each other in our hammocks.

On Monday night at 8 o'clock we passed Gibraltar. It was dark so we could only see the lights. The garrison on top sent a searchlight message and wished us a merry Xmas and Happy New Year. We did the same. We passed lots of ships on the way out, and there were always signals exchanged. We didn't get anything special Xmas, but on New Years Day we each paid a shilling, and got plenty of turkey, pudding, and nuts and oranges etc. The water was rough and smooth by turns going through the Meditterranean. It had been cold too, so far. We passed Malta, as we did every other place, at night. We saw a lot of the coast of Tripoli, but too far off to distinguish anything. What we did see were thousands of porpoises jumping about in the water. We saw two sharks and some flying fish and several kinds of jellyfish as well.

On Sunday 29th Dec., we got into Port Said. We stopped here all night to coal ship. It is a big place, it was lit up, and we could see lots of big ships with illuminated signs on top, such as Bovril and Nestles Milk. A lot of barges came along with coal and the women were shovelling it into baskets for the men to bring aboard. They were chattering like a lot of magpies and they were the biggest rogues out. They came aboard with dates, bananas, cigars, Turkish delight and chocolate. They would offer you stuff for about a 1/- and be glad to sell it for about 2d if you wouldn't buy it. It is just the same out here, the natives try to do us, and we have to do them. It is tit for tat.

On starting off again, we got into the Suez Canal where we had the hottest weather we have had so far. The sun broiled down on the decks and the sea was as smooth as glass, not a ripple on it. We took a day to get through it. It is 90 miles long, but big ships are not allowed to go more than 6 miles an hour. It is only about 200 yards across, although in one part it widens out into a big lake. We passed lots of dredgers on the way. We had Egypt on the right, and the Peninsular of Sinai (Arabia) on the other. Africa one side, Asia the other. We saw plenty of caravans on each side, camels, Bedouin Arabs, and women who cover their faces with a veil, you could only see their eyes. We soon finished the rest of our journey. We sailed 500 m iles through the Red Sea, past Aden, round into the Arabian Sea, and across to Karachi which we reached early on Thursday morning 9th Jan.

When we were on board we had nothing to do except find guards. I only did two during the 3 weeks. We paraded at ten for "Rounds" when the Captain walked round the ship, and then we had a fire drill and life saving. We had to put on life belts and stand on the top deck, while sentries were placed over the boats. We had all sorts of games on board, sports were got up, boxing, obstacle races and tug of wars. And concerts in the evenings. There was a lot of gambling went on but I never did any of it. We had a church parade on Sunday mornings. There were over a thousand soldiers on board. There were drafts of 5th and 2nd Drags., 16th Lancers, 11th Hussars, RGA's, RB's, KRR's, Seaforths, Lancashire Fus, Irish Fus, Welsh Fus, Essex and West Kents.

We left Karachi by special trains driven by English drivers, at 8 o'clock at night on the 9th Jan, and got here at 7 pm on the 11th. The distance was about 1000 miles right through the Sindh and the Punjab. There were rest-camps on the way up where we stopped for meals, bread, hot tea, tinned meat and butter and jam. The largest places we came through were Mooltan and Lahore. There were lots of strange sights to see on the journey, the little villages with houses built of clay, and thatched with wattles of straw. Camels carry all the heavy baggage, ponies are used for driving the garrys, which take the place of cabs and buses out here. Other animals used for carrying are bullocks, mules, donkeys and goats.

We were first of all sorted out in companies. 9 of us went to E Coy, then we got a hot supper, and were put in tents away from the barracks. We were isolated here for two weeks. This was in case we brought any disease with us. We had to go to the hospital every morning to be inspected, and have lectures given us on how to take care of ourselves to avoid enteric dysentery and sunstroke etc., and what to do in case of snake bites. We were all inoculated, and then done again ten days afterwards. You are bad for about two days, as you practically have the fever germs pricked into you. We had to do a parade every day on the square while we were in the tents to let us get used to the drill which is a bit different out here.

We are in the bungalows now, and it is quite a gentlemens life taking it all round. The knappies (that is barbers) come round and shave you while you're asleep, the boot wallah cleans your boots for about an anna a week.

Of course, we get Indian money out here, not pounds and d., but rupees and annas and pice. A rupee is 1/4, anna is 1 d, pice 1/4 d, and pie 1/12 d. I am only drawing 2 rupees aweek for a month or two, as we have got our Indian kit to pay for, 3 suits khaki, 3 suits white, and suit of black, besides short knickers, called khud "knicks", puggarees, which go round the helmets, socks and boots. Once I have paid for this I shall draw more than I did at home and begin to save some up. I shall be able to send plenty of things home presently.

We go off on some manoeuvres on Monday to a place 38 miles away called Sang Jani. We do another 3 weeks again after that. Later on when it begins to get too hot the whole camp moves from here up in the hills to a place called Kuldana. It is only just warm here now, but later on it will be somewhere about 124 degrees in the shade. There is a lot of rain up in the hills when the monsoon comes. It never rains in England like it does here.

North of our camp lie the Murree Hills. They are called hills but they are over twice the height of Mt Snowdon, which is 4000 odd feet. Between us and the hills is the railway which runs onto Peshawar, through the Kyber Pass to Kabul. The air is very clear out here, for the foot of the hills, while it is 11 miles away, doesn't look any more than two. A mountain 13,000 ft high, which we can see quite plain, is 25 miles away as the crow flies, and 37 miles if you walk it.

We have to take great care of our rifles out here, for fear of thieves, Afghans and Pathans from the hills. The rifles, when we are not using them, are locked in racks in the centre of the bungalow, and two men sleep by them every night. A rifle orderly is told off every day and he holds the keys. The bolts and magazines and swords are locked in our boxes every night. It is bolts the thieves are after rather than the rifles, which they can make themselves.

We are part of the Northern Army, and if any trouble broke out on the frontier, we should be the first to go. There are three posts ahead of us, Peshawar, Nowshere, and Mebong. In Peshawar no one is allowed out after retreat. We are safe enough here, although it doesn't do to go into the native city unless there is about 6 of you. There are 15,000 troops here including natives. I will tell you more about the place next time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's most of the letter but here's a little gift from India

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll403/dennel13/india1.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll403/dennel13/india2.jpg

Honoring Rfn Fred Peters and Rfn Charles Durrant and the men of the 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
The following are extracts from the Rifle Brigade Chronicle for 1912:

1st Battalion, Colchester

"On 12 August the whole Brigade left for Aldershot. We camped at Rushmoor Bottom which, during the first fortnight we were there, became a quagmire owing to the incessant rain. Luckily the weather cleared up later for the manoeuvres."

"On conclusion of Divisional Training we were inspected by the Inspector General near Longmoor. We spent a very cold night in bivouac but escaped night operations owing to the Inspector General being ill."

"After a day's rest we started for the Grand Manoeuvres in the Eastern Counties; there to be pitted against the far-famed 1st and 2nd Divisions, of whom all had heard so much. The movement of the Division by rail to the manoeuvre area on Sunday, 15 September was a triumph of organisation. We detrained at Hitchin and marched to Royston, where we camped till 3 a.m. Tuesday. Thence the 4th Division marched to Saffron Walden, taking infinite pains to conceal our movements from the hostile aeroplanes, though how we escaped detection on one occasion when we all fled into a ditch for shelter, is extraordinary. So carefully were all the movements of our force hidden that nobody knew of our whereabouts till we went into action on the Wednesday. We very soon captured a regiment and a half of Cavalry who were in occupation of a farm, quite forgetful of the possible approach of the enemy. The umpires decided that they were "demobilized", which being interpreted means captured. The remainder of the battle was spent fighting the Guards Brigade, who showed the utmost gallantry, and a complete disregard for enfilade fire. On conclusion of the manoeuvres we marched back here, halting one night at Braintree on the way. We were all very pleased to be back again after six weeks' absence

Victoria

Here's Freds extended version of the manoeuvres for comparisons sake.

late Sept/early Oct 1912

G Coy

1st Batt. Rifle Brigade

I suppose you all want to know what the manoeuvres were like. Well, the last week we were at Rushmoor we went on a 20 mile march to Longmoor. While we were there we had a big fight with the 1st and 2nd Divisions which lasted a day and a half. We only got some bread and bully and a drop of tea while it was on, and it was perishing cold. We couldn't sleep and had to walk about all night to keep warm. We were down here on Salisbury Plain for 3 days, and then we marched back to Aldershot on the Friday.

We had a rest then till Sunday morning, when we paraded at 10am and marched to Farnborough Station, 4 miles. There were crowds of people there to see us off. We went to Hitchin in Hertfordshire, the headquarters of the Blue Army. After a little rest, we trekked off on a 19 mile march to Royston in Hertford. We were under canvas there till Monday night with the rest of the 4th and the 3rd Divisions.

Then we got orders that the enemy were advancing, so we moved off silently at eleven oclock towards the east. After going 22 miles through Hertfordshire and part of Cambridge, we found ourselves in Essex, at a place called Littlebury, where we managed to get something to eat and drink.

We hung about here all day (Tuesday) ready to move at a moments notice. Twice during the day the Red Army's aeroplanes came overhead, and we had to scuttle underneath hedges and bushes out of the way. We thought we had been seen because they turned round and went back. But it appears we weren't, for they said afterwards they could not see us, and our rifles, which were in piles, they took to be stacks of corn. The big guns were masked with straw to make them look like hay wagons. This was where we made a name, and it was in all the daily papers. They didn't know where we were. They found the 3rd Division, but they couldn't make out where the 4th Division was. (That is the Dover, Colchester and Shorncliffe troops). We were miles away from the others and it was a risky move of Gen. Grierson's, our commander, for the enemy could have broke between us and got through to London. But they were afraid of us catching them unawares.

We didn't mean to give them another chance to spot us, for in the night we moved to Saffron Walden, where the Moat Farm murder was. This was 7 miles further on. We slept there for about 3 hours, and then moved off towards the enemy. We were ever so much closer to them than they thought we were and we only went about 6 miles before we came across their pickets, which we drove back. At about 8 oclock (Wednesday morning) the great "battle" began. The enemy were trying to get through to London and we had to stop them. The 3rd Division drove some of them right into us and the Rifle Bde and Gordons captured nearly all the 4th Dragoons. Then 2 of our aeroplanes which had come down were captured by the enemy's Hussars.

All our long marches were done at night, and in the daytime, when we could be seen by the aeroplanes, we had to march through woods or along hedges or banks etc. For the rest of the day we were on the right flank, fighting against the Scots and the Coldstream Guards, and first we had to retire, and then they would have to. We got put out of action once for 2 hours, for coming under fire of two batteries of artillery. We had a little sleep then.

When we commenced again, we were racing over 6 miles of fields, hedges, and ditches, and at last, at 6 oclock at night (Wed) we had got so close to the enemy that the only thing left for either to do was to fix bayonets and charge. We were all mixed up there, Gordons with Rifles, Seaforths with Guards, and so on. The "Stand Fast" was sounded and soon after the army airship went up with 3 small airball arrangements attached to it. This was the signal that the manoeuvres were over, and a lot of shouting and chearing was heard for ten minutes or so.

The umpires gave the result as a draw, but we really won, because we stopped them coming any further. I fired about 150 rounds that day, but I don't know how many I killed. After we had sorted ourselves out again, our brigade was marched back to Radwinter, 16 miles. The manoeuvres finished up 2 days before time, for the aeroplanes spoilt all the generals' schemes, and proved themselves very useful, although they could not find us.

Next morning (Thursday Sept 19) we started off at 9 oclock to march home. By four in the afternoon we had reached Braintree, 22 miles. All along the road, as we passed, the people were standing outside their cottages, with baskets of apples and pears, and they were throwing them to us, so we got a nice feed. The apples were rosy and red and as big as cricket balls. They would only have been wasted if we hadn't had them, it seemed a pity when so many people elsewhere would be glad of them. One old lady about 70 made us laugh, for she was so excited she ran down the steps and was flinging the apples so hard they went right over our heads, and hit the house opposite.

We were allowed out in town at Braintree, so we made up for lost time here. Next Day (Friday) we started on our last journey. We left at 10am for Colchester (17 miles) and got in at 4 in the afternoon. All the townspeople were pleased to see us back again, and praised the way we marched in. The Gordons came first, then us, and afterwards the Durhams and East Lancs. Last of all were the RFA and 20th Hussars. When we got back in barracks we found the rooms all scrubbed clean, big fires burning, our beds made down and kits squared up, and big dinners with plenty of duff waiting for us. And we had a weeks holiday besides, so 6 of us went to London for 4 days to have a look round. We put up at the Union Jack Club, and went to the White City, theatres, football matches etc.

------------------

The next part of the letter is about the R/B football team. If anyone wants a score from Sept 1912 I can help.

---------------------

It is a terrible thing isn't it, about the war in the Balkans, and it looks like lasting a long time too, doesn't it. I read about those poor sailors being drowned in the submarine off Dover.

---------------

Just thought I would include that last little bit in case anyone with an interest in submarines happened to read this.I assume it was a British sub. I wonder what happened.

Dennis,

Every one of the letters which you have posted here gives me another insight into what Fred, Charlie and the rest of the December 1912 draft experienced. It’s helping me to build up the most fantastic picture. I’m going to post the account for the journey home from India in September 1914, but in the meantime, can you tell me if you or your family hold any details of Fred’s battlefield burial? He’s commemorated on the Ploegsteert Memorial to the Missing along with most of his mates who died with him that day, but I wondered if you had any official documentation from the RB Records Office or the Imperial War Graves Commission (as it was then) detailing the position of his grave or how it came to be “lost”.

I’ll get moving with that account of the boat journey home.

V.

Dennis and Victoria,

Thank you so much for sharing such personal, poignant letters and details. How they bring the atmosphere of the times alive. God rest them. Such wonderful bits of history to have.

Susan.

Dennis and Victoria,

Thank you so much for sharing such personal, poignant letters and details. How they bring the atmosphere of the times alive. God rest them. Such wonderful bits of history to have.

Susan.

Thank you, Susan. I'm glad it isn't just Dennis and I to whom this thread is appealing.

The following is the account of the boat journey home from India in September 1914:

From The Rifle Brigade Chronicle for 1914

Whitaker [Capt. Harold Whitaker] had joined us at Pindi on transfer from the 4th Battalion and at Bombay, Powell [Capt. Eden Powell] from Quetta and Stopford [Lieutenant Sir Montagu Stopford] and Earle [Lieuteant Guy Earle] from home came back to the fold, so that we embarked 22 officers, 2 warrant officers and 996 rank and file, 1,020 strong, besides 22 women and 22 children.

And now our troubles began. As far as the ship was concerned, everything possible was done for the troops and the ship’s officers were splendid fellows, but we were on the Somali for over six weeks, a record almost for a journey from India since the days of sailing ships. To start with we had to anchor out in Bombay harbour for ten days waiting for our escort and the rest of the convoy to get ready. However, we managed to arrange for dockyard lighters to come alongside every day and the whole Battalion went on shore and marched across to Back Bay where we undressed in the main street and swam out towards Malabar Hill. It was an excellent place in which to bathe as it was too shelving a beach for any accidents to happen. Bombay in those days was like an armed camp. The only trouble was the heavy monsoon which soaked us every morning we went on shore.

At last, on Sunday 20th September at 11.00 a.m., the convoy weighed anchor and sailed, escorted by H.M.S. Swiftsure, Fox and Dufferin. Two days out of Bombay we met the convoy from Karachi escorted by H.M.S. Dartmouth, bringing the convoy up to 4 warships and 42 transports, a most imposing fleet. That evening, the Dartmouth, the Fox and three transports left us for East Africa. We passed Aden without stopping and after being delayed in the Red Sea with steering-gear troubles, we reached Suez on Saturday 3rd October. We went through the Canal almost at once, finding it piquetted all the way along by our troops, and anchored in Port Said on Sunday morning. He we waited until Wednesday 7th October for the rest of the Convoy to clear the Canal.

Port Said was a wonderful sight; it was extraordinary how so may ships could be fitted into so small a space and we were given a great ovation by outward bound liners. We managed to get the Battalion all on shore and had a first-rate bathe in the Mediterranean. We rowed ourselves on shore in the ship’s boats and what with that and the practice we had in climbing down rope ladders into lighters at Bombay in a monsoon sea, we feel that we are now fully qualified to help cut out the German Fleet from Kiel. It was here that we got the first full mail from home and heard the sad news of Rickman’s [Major Stuart Rickman – 2nd Bn. attached 1st Bn.] death and of the many other casualties in the Regiment.

The faster ships of the convoy sailed on Tuesday and we, with 19 others, sailed on Wednesday the 7th, escorted by the French battleship Bouvet and the destroyer La Hué. We did not stop at Malta and reached Gibraltar on Thursday 15 October at 3.00 p.m.. We had sailed from Malta on our own as the rest of the convoy had turned off for Marseilles and we waited in Gibraltar until the following evening for our last convoy to be ready, viz the Dilwara with the Irish Rifles from Aden, the Grantully Castle with the Suffolks from Egypt, the Dongola with the Berkshires from India and the Somali with ourselves, all escorted by H.M.S. Euryalus.

There was one exciting incident at Gibraltar. Two ladies from the Dongola fell off the Mole into the sea and were gallantly rescued by Durham [2nd Lieutenant Edward Durham] and Acting-Corporal Joyce, one of our ship’s officers and two men of the Berkshires. The band was playing on the Mole at the time, it was pitch dark on the sea front and it was no easy job for them to get hold of the ladies and get them hoisted up the fifteen-foot sea wall.

Two days out of Gibraltar we got the most unexpected order to sail for Liverpool of all places, and we close this letter with the lights of Holyhead fading astern.

We hope to land at Liverpool tomorrow, 22nd October, having been on board 45 days and beyond that we know nothing. But this letter has been long enough already and our future movements must be written up later. In spite of the long voyage, the health and spirits of the whole Battalion has been excellent, marred only today by the sudden death of Rifleman Taylor [Rfn. John Taylor (2980), Died at Sea 21st October 1914], No. 1 Company, from heart failure. He was buried tonight, poor fellow, within sight of England. Otherwise the voyage has been most calm and comfortable and the many long delays no doubt were unavoidable; anyway they were none of our making.