Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Signalling instructor

Muerrisch

Here is a rarity: an assistant instructor sigs. with the appointment badge both sleeves. Not as per regs. 3GC badges, a campaign ribbon, and a marksman.

The headdress, collar style both point to just before 1914, probably India.

post-894-1210689538.jpg

Can't see enough of the rifle he's holding...but the one behind is from the sling position and piling swivel together with the muzzle cover affixed probably a Metford MKI* which were intorduced 1892.....giving that the much later LE MKI* were replaced by the sMLE c1903 and that the CLLE & CLLM were being modified c1907 how your shortly before WWI is reached... on collars etc makes the issue of weapons very low proirity?

Had a good look at the complete photo from my archive: it comprises shooting team, cup, and large caption on the plinth says:

S.I.R.A. Bangalore Chamionship Trophy 1907, Won by 1st Essex Regiment.

Fairly conclusive.

I can send a scan by email if you like.

You should get a badge for your sleeve for observation, a large plinth,...probabylIndia....why not write all that on your original post?

Bangalore isn't that where they made the torpedo to free folk barbed wire entaglements:-))) Just shows although the sMLE was general issue from c1903 and CLLE c1907for the TF the Long Lees were still being used for competitions it seems? No need to scan, but just shows from a part pic you can make anything from it within a couple of decades, you've won the trophy:-)))

----------------

Had a good look at the complete photo from my archive: it comprises shooting team, cup, and large caption on the plinth says:

S.I.R.A. Bangalore Chamionship Trophy 1907, Won by 1st Essex Regiment.

Fairly conclusive.

I can send a scan by email if you like.

My Great Great Uncle 4256 Owen Allington, 1st Essex - see avatar. Later Sgt Instructor. Killed in Action 1.7.16 at Beaumont Hamel. Also served South Africa with 2nd Essex 1901-1902. I have his original signallers badges and photo archive.

QUOTE (Neil B @ May 14 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should get a badge for your sleeve for observation, a large plinth,...probabylIndia....why not write all that on your original post?

----------------

I wasn't trying to be clever ...... the small scan was made previously and the big original was archived. I should add that one of my strengths, if I have any, is dating military photographs. For this, I use uniform, medals/ medal ribbons, headgear, hair and 'taches, and tend to disregard weapons except as a means of providing an earliest possible date for a photo.

My Great Great Uncle 4256 Owen Allington, 1st Essex - see avatar. Later Sgt Instructor. Killed in Action 1.7.16 at Beaumont Hamel. Also served South Africa with 2nd Essex 1901-1902. I have his original signallers badges and photo archive.

These surviving badges: were they worsted, embroidered for full dress, or gilding metal [brass], or gilding metal and enamel, please?

One khaki worsted , two full dress wire-embroidered: one on red background, one on blue. All the pre-war photos I have of Essex signallers (1894-1913) have cloth badges.

Owen if your interested drop me an eMail direct and I'll send you a pic of the programme of music by the Drums of the 1st Essex of the period your on and also in it is a Metford MKI* albeit stripped.

--------------

One khaki worsted , two full dress wire-embroidered: one on red background, one on blue. All the pre-war photos I have of Essex signallers (1894-1913) have cloth badges.

Thank you .... that confirms regulations which, in the period, were for worsted or wire embroidered, not gilding metal.