Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Dead Databases

museumtom

Hello Bob.

It would save me a lot of time if you let me know what info you have on these men already i.e. data from SDGW CWGC etc.

regards.

Tom

Guest geoff501

Hello Tom,

Do you have anything on 2/Lieutenant Harold Stormont Bell, Worcestershire Regiment?

I already have SDGW and CWGC info. MIC seems to give the second name as Stewart rather than Stormont. In SDGW he is Hary (sic). There is nothing in Captain Stacke's history other than he is listed in the Roll of Honour. Thanks a lot in advance....

Hello Geoff.

He is not in De Ruvigneys.

Tom.

Tom

I am indebted to you, thank you very much for the information on Frederick Drummond. The Blencowe family was one of several wealthy families in Chailey but I was unaware of the connection bewteen The Drummond and Blencowe households. The fact that he was educated at Eton also gives me another lead.

Best wishes to you and thanks again.

Paul

Guest geoff501

Hello Tom,

Do you have anything on Lieutenant Frederick Selwyn Walduck MC RFA ?

I'm trying to find out whether he was a war casualty, or when he died. Thanks..

I have the Gazette entry for the MC, May 1918, but little else. May be born in Kings Norton area, 1887.

Sorry.

Nothing on Lt Walduck.

Tom.

Does this man have an entry in De Ruvignys?

Butler J O

Name: BUTLER Initials: J O Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Lieutenant Regiment: Royal Air Force Unit Text: 3rd Sqdn. Secondary Regiment: General List Secondary Unit Text: and Age: 19 Date of Death: 11/04/1918 Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: VIII. D. 6. Cemetery: MONS COMMUNAL CEMETERY

I have no other details at the moment.

Thanks,

Chris.

From De Ruvigneys;

Butler John Ormonde, 2nd Lt, RAF, only s of the rev robert Moore Peile Butler, of Prison rectory, Bath, MA., by his wife Annie Langsdale b Eaton County Chester 11 dec 1898, edu harrow and trinity college cambridge. Gazetted 2lt. RAF in july 1917, served with the expeditionary force in France and Flanders from Jan 1918. was wounded while flying over the german lines 24 march following following being taken prisoner and died at the POW hospital Mons on the 11th of the following month. Buried in mons Cemetery .

From SDGW;

'died' as a POW 11-4-18

Tom

Tom,

Many thanks for the Butler JO look-up.

Chris.

Does this man have an entry in De Ruvignys?

Maxwellbarbour R D or Maxwell-Barbour R D

There is an entry for a BARBOUR RD in THE CWGC register, but whether it is the same man who knows?

Name: BARBOUR

Initials: R D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: East Surrey Regiment

Unit Text: 13th Bn.

Date of Death: 16/11/1918

Service No: 32561

Additional information: .

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: In North-West corner.

Cemetery: WAMBEEK CHURCHYARD

Thanks,

Chris.

He is not in Solders died in the great war, Officers died in the great war or de Ruvigneys. Where does this name come from? Could it be Maxwell, Barbour road?

He is not in Solders died in the great war, Officers died in the great war or de Ruvigneys. Where does this name come from? Could it be Maxwell, Barbour road?

Tom,

The name MAXWELLBARBOUR R D appears on a war memorial to the fallen of the Great War 1914-19

Regards,

Chris

maybe?

BARBOUR

Initials: M

Regiment: Highland Light Infantry

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/06/1918

Service No: 3170

Additional information: Son of Alexander Barbour. of 52, Dean St., Glasgow. Alternative Commemoration - buried in Glasgow Southern Necropolis, Western Division.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Spec. Memorial.

Tom

Thanks for your thoughts. But for the moment BARBOUR R D of the EAST SURREYS seems a better bet.

Chris.

Does this man have an entry in De Ruvignys Roll of Honour?

Frederick George WEIGHT - RSM 1st Bn. R.M Royal Naval Division. KIA 2 Sept. 1918.

(Rank is RSM on CWGC entry but different on Medal Card Index -

Medal card of Weight, F G

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Marines CM/11722 Serjeant /Acting Quarter Master Serjeant )

Thanks,

Chris.

He is not in De Duvigneys, sorry.

Tom

Tom,

Does this man have an entry in De Ruvignys Roll of Honour?

William James Atterbury

His CWGC entry reads:

Name: ATTERBURY, WILLIAM JAMES

Initials: W J

Regiment: East Surrey Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 24/11/1914

Service No: 9583

Additional information: Son of William and Mary Ann Elizabeth Atterbury, of 3, Spencer Terrace, Spen Rd., Mitcham Common, Mitcham, Surrey.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 34.

Cemetery: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Thanks,

Chris.

Eldest son of William Atterbury of 3, Spencer Rd. Mitcham. Born Carshalton, Co. Surrey, 7/10/1888, enlisted June 5th 1908. Served with the BEF from the 7th of October 1914. KIA 24th November following.

Tom,

I would be very grateful if you could give me any information on the following two soldiers:

LEWIS, ALBERT EDWARD

Rifleman

11th Bn. London Regiment (Finsbury Rifles)

Date of Death 19/04/1917

Cemetery JERUSALEM MEMORIAL

LEWIS, A E, Private

1st/7th Bn. Essex Regiment

Date of Death 26/04/1917

Cemetery DAMASCUS COMMONWEALTH WAR CEMETERY

MIC (not yet obtained) details also show:

Essex Regiment 3/1914 Private

Essex Regiment 301149 Private

Essex Regiment 4074 Private

On the basis of comments made by ageing members of the family, one of them is believed to be my Great Grandfather who died in Palestine in 1917, some 6 weeks after entering the army according to failing memories.

The only article left in the family, at least until some "lost" birth certificates or other paperwork turns up, is his death plaque.

Perhaps additional information from their service or death records might help to confirm which of them is, in fact, the man we want to research further.

The MIC of the first man unfortunately only indicates that he was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, but that they were returned. The MIC contains no other reference to entry in a theatre of war.

The three service numbers of the second man suggest that he served from early in the war, which might exclude him from our search if the information provided by elderly members of the family is at all reliable.

Can a time frame be defined for the 453215 service number of the first man? Is this a late number?

Many thanks in advance for any information the sources you so kindly offer might provide and my apologies for asking questions that may already have been answered elsewhere.

David

Do you have info from SDGW or de Ruvigneys?

Tom,

I only found out what SDGW is today, and I don't know where to look for it, and de Ruvigneys means nothing to me at all.

The only information I have is based on possible candidates to match Albert Edward Lewis (name known in family and present on his death plaque) killed in 1917. By deduction, we picked the only two who were killed in the theatre that year and obtained the above information from the CWGC site and the Documents Online details, from which we have already obtained the MIC of the first man.

We want to check other sources when we feel we know which man we should research (census, birthe certificate, church records, etc.)

Many thanks for any help or further information you can provide.

David