Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Surplus for sale in 1919

Max Poilu

Following on from this topic.

Steel shelters in Shrewsbury Forest.

Thought it might be of interest to post some extracts from a sales catalogues of army surplus dated September 1919 as seen in the above topic. It illustrates vividly the vast quantities of material left over when the war had finished.

A new list was published every two weeks and this one has over 160 pages. Everything imaginable is for sale from Whippet tanks to barbed wire, Nissen shower baths to pickaxe handles (1/2 million+), Army caps to aerial bombs, locomotives to thigh boots, Maplemeat to Picric acid....the list is endless.

Enjoy the viewing fellow collectors and let's all keep praying for a time machine. :rolleyes:

First the cover and some factories for sale:

sux.jpg

sr1.jpg

My favourite page, endless fun sorting through the boxes of ordnance ('for disposal as souvenirs'). I'll take a Whippet and a Seaplane while I'm here too...

[edit] Tanks3 - you just jumped in ahead of me there ;) - not much to add I am afraid.

sr12.jpg

sr13.jpg

Lastly some general stuff, including 1 gallon jars - note 'Supply Reserve Depot' (SRD). In addition the list of stuff in F&F, including 'captured German booty' - once again just imagine rummaging through that lot... :o

Anyway, that's a small sample of what was for sale. :)

sr14.jpg

sr15.jpg

Shudder to think what his "chores" list would be like.

I wonder if they sold Ford Airfield and if so, what they bought it back for.

endless fun sorting through the boxes of ordnance ('for disposal as souvenirs').

I knew an old Great War veteran (a MM) who had a box of ancient ordnance acquired as a souvenir in this way. He used to offer his grandson parts of his treasures to add excitement to Bonfire Night. The offer was always declined. His grandson's dad was (is) an analytical chemist and had a good idea of what sort of excitement they might end up with.

His hoard was kept in a tatty old cardboard box, which came to light when he moved into a residential home and his house was emptied by his sons. Neither knew what the stuff in the box was, so they parked it in front of the gas fire (the lit gas fire) ready for someone else to rummage through. Grandson came across the box, worked out what it was, consulted his dad, who phoned the police, who told them to 'just stick it in the boot and bring it down to the nick.' One terse discussion on the instability of cordite later....

I'm not talking about the dark ages, I'm talking about recent years.

I wonder how much of this sale stuff is still around in people's homes.

Gwyn

Max - this is a serious question. Are there any drill halls or contents or parts thereof listed in this intriguing catalogue?

Gwyn

Thanks for that Terry. Gwyn, will have a look through - re' the ordnance, it does say "will be rendered innocuous before sale" - should imagine a lot escaped though!

Can you be a bit more specific on "contents or parts thereof" - not sure what I am looking for... :unsure:

Max... what a superb insite into the disposal of: Material, War, All departmets, for the issue and use of!! :rolleyes:

Where did you come across such a time capsule? You don't normally hear me say it, but I'm officially a teensy weensy bit envious... :blush:

Any 'Tanks' left?

Seph

Max... what a superb insite into the disposal of: Material, War, All departmets, for the issue and use of!! :rolleyes:

Where did you come across such a time capsule? You don't normally hear me say it, but I'm officially a teensy weensy bit envious... :blush:

Any 'Tanks' left?

Seph

Thanks. Actually got it on ebay a few years back and got lucky - cost about double that ersatz Pickelhaube you posted about this week (ie £10) , I think you did better though. :)

Awww.. your just trying to make me feel good! :blush:

Seriuosly though, I've had another superb shopping week. Not one... not two.... but three Vickers '07's and a 'Mole'. I'm a little miffed about the 'Mole', due in part to me having to wrench it from the hands of a dedicated 'UK' dealer.... crept up to his maximum limit, then sniped him... it was a clean shot though, and I'm certain that the poor chap never felt a thing! End price.... $108.... thats about 54 quid in todays exchange rate. :rolleyes:

I've only got one of the 'Vickers - 07's' through at the moment, but as soon as they all get here (about the end of October), I'll post them in a clean thread.

Seph

Could I please order the 8" howitzer and the 3 and a half thousand pounds of 'Eggo'? I have a score to settle.....

IanA..... you can have the 'Mole' back if its that important!!! :blink:

Seph :blush:

Gwyn, cannot see any drill halls specifically listed - would they not come under the various buildings and sectional huts at the various camps?

There is a sale at Cardiff drill hall though:

sr16.jpg