Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

Chris B wrote:

I wonder if you can help with any information on the events around the death of this officer of the 25th Brigade RFA. His name and details are:

Greville Hubert Robins BLOUNT, born 1883

Capt. Greville Hubert Robins Blount, RFA

Born at Woolwich on 23 Feb 1883, the eldest son of Major Hubert Blount, RA who died of fever on 23 Dec 1900 in South Africa and his wife Maud Blount.

Educated at Harrow School from 1897 to 1899 and at RMA, Woolwich from 1899-1900.

Commissioned in the R. F. A. in August, 1900; promoted to Lieutenant, RFA in Aug 1903 and promoted to Captain in November 1911.

Served with G Battery, RHA from 1909 to 1911.

Went to France in August 1914 as Adjutant of XXV Brigade, RFA

Died on 23 Sep 1914 of wounds received at Courchamps on 11 Sep 1914

Married to Gladys, daughter of the Rev. Canon Wilson of Mitcham and leaves a son.

Sources: Harrow Memorials of the Great War, Volume 1; War Supplement to the Harrovian, November 1914; Harrow School Register, 1845-1925; War Diary of 25th Brigade Ammunition Column, R. F. A; History of "G" Troop, Royal Horse Artillery;Bond of Sacrifice, Volume I.

I have attached a photo of Captain Blount below. Dick Flory

post-765-1131510847.jpg

Dan wrote:

Looking for some guidance on RHA research. Trying to get information on a Trumpeter A.E. McCarthy, RHA. Entered the F/F theater in mid-August and discharged around 1923 upon which time he joined the St Helen's Police Force.

Doubt you would have anything on him in Regimental histories, but could you give me an idea of how many trumpeters were carried on the rolls of an RHA battery, troop, etc? I'd also appreciate any advice on sorting out which battery he may have been in.

Dan: There were two trumpeters per RHA Battery in 1914-1915. I don't have anything on Tptr. A. E. McCarthy, RHA but can tell you that he did not receive his 1914 Star with D or E Batteries or 3rd Bde, RHA Ammo Col. because I have the roll for each of those units and he is not listed on them. The best way to find his unit is to have a researcher check the rolls of the other RHA batteries that went France in mid-August 1914: 7 Bde, RHA (I and L Batteries and the BAC who embarked on 16 Aug 14) and 4 Bde, RHA (J Bty and 4 BAC who embarked on 16 Aug 14). The other RHA batteries did not embark until Sept through Nov 1914. Regards. Dick

Dick,

Many many thanks for all the detail about Gerville Blount, including his mother's name, which had eluded me. The TIMES newspaper has him born in Aldershot, but the detail you have matches that shown in De Ruivgny's Roll of Honour but has additional information that includes the crucial fact of where/when he was wounded, notice of which first appeared in the TIMES on the 17th.

As a point of interest, his name "BLOUNT G." appears on the Mitcham War Memorial to the fallen of the Great War, and a there is a memorial plaque to him in the Mitcham Parish Church of St.Peter and St.Paul which is not surprising as he was married to the youngest daughter of the Rev. Canon, Daniel Frederic Wilson, Vicar of Mitcham.

Blount's father, Charles Hubert Blount had also been an officer in the RA, and served as a Major in the South African War, where he had died of enteric fever. Such are fortunes of war.

Regards,

Chris.

Dan wrote:

Dan:  There were two trumpeters per RHA Battery in 1914-1915.  I don't have anything on Tptr. A. E. McCarthy, RHA but can tell you that he did not receive his 1914 Star with D or E Batteries or 3rd Bde, RHA Ammo Col. because I have the roll for each of those units and he is not listed on them.  The best way to find his unit is to have a researcher check the rolls of the other RHA batteries that went France in mid-August 1914:  7 Bde, RHA (I and L Batteries and the BAC who embarked on 16 Aug 14) and 4 Bde, RHA (J Bty and 4 BAC who embarked on 16 Aug 14).  The other RHA batteries did not embark until Sept through Nov 1914.  Regards.  Dick

Thanks Dick. That narrows it down a bit. I'll do as you suggest . As always, I appreciate your time and effort on my behalf.

Best wishes,

~Dan

Does your "History of 250 Siege Battery, R.G.A. " have information that throws light on the fate of this man:

Name: WOOD, WILLIAM JOHN

Initials: W J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: 250th Siege Bty.

Date of Death: 09/09/1918

Service No: 82954

Additional information: Son of the late William John and Sarah Elizabeth Wood. Native of Merton, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VII. A. 3.

Cemetery: ARNEKE BRITISH CEMETERY

William John Wood died of wounds, and I have no idea when or where he was wounded. He appears to be buried near to a CCS, which would imply he was evacuated from the front but may not have survived for long afterwards.

Thanks for any help,

Chris.

Chris B wrote:

Does your "History of 250 Siege Battery, R.G.A. " have information that throws light on the fate of this man:

Name: WOOD, WILLIAM JOHN

Chris: Here is an extract from History of 250 Siege Battery, RGA

"Owing to the advance of the British Second Army operating in the Bailleul sector Battery took up its position at Neuve Eglise on the 4th and 5th of September [1918].

On the 5th Battery position was subjected to a strong gas concentration, one dugout being hit. The following casualties were sustained:

Wounded (Gas):

Cpl. Lowe

Bdr. Hughes

Gnr W. J. Wood (Died 9-9-18). (My emphasis)

Gnr C Constable

Gnr Tutton (slight)

Gnr McAveen

Gnr Hendorson, W.

Sgt Fletcher W. E."

Regards. Dick

Dick,

Many thanks for the information about Gnr W J Wood.

Regards,

Chris.

Dick,

Do you have any background on the 98th Siege Battery? In the 35th HAG Diary they are described as 98th (Canadian) SB and I have found two Canadians linked to them: a Lt Col Peake from Prince Edward Island who was CO at some time and another Canadian casualty. I can find no reference on the Canadian Archive site that makes sense and there is no NA War Diary. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Bill

Bill: The 98th (Canadian) Siege Battery went out the Western Front from the UK on 31 May 16 and joined 35th HAG on 7 Jun 16. It was transferred to 21st HAG on 4 Jul 16 (joined on 7 Jul 16) and to 76th HAG on 11 Dec 16. On 8 Jan 17 it was redesignated as the 2nd Canadian Siege Battery and was posted to the 1st Canadian HAG on 11 Jan 17. Regards. Dick

Hello, this is a brilliant site, thankyou Chris baker.

I find that my father was wounded 17 Sep 1916 (injury report says gunshot wound, knees, wrist and head (probably shelling?)) He was driver with 70th brigade RFA which I believe was with 15th (Scottish) Div, he was sent to Etaples and then on the "Salta" to Edinburgh Hospital. I've seen one page of the war diary for that day and he seems to be the only casualty.

Can anyone suggest where I might look for more info on what his unit was involved in at that time? I would like to find more about 70 Bgds. activities July 1915 to when he was wounded. (I recall him saying that he was at the "Battle of Ypres" and "2nd Battle of Mons"; he died when I was 19 in 1957 and so my recollections are scanty..

After he recovered from wounds he was then posted to Salonika where he got malaria..

I would appreciate it if anyone with the right reference books could do me a look up or point me in the right direction..

regards

Harry Nicholson

Jerrymurland wrote:

Any idea where I start for 146 (Hull) Heavy Battery RGA? Artillery not my 'thing'.

The war diary for 146 (Hull) Heavy Battery, RGA for the period June 1916 - March 1917 is available at the National Archives at WO95/473. Its war diaries subsequent to then have not been traced. Dick Flory

Dick,

I wonder if you have any information on this officer of RFA who, after becoming a flyer, was killed in action on 6th July 1917. Unfortuantely I have no idea which Brigade he may have served in.

His CWGC details are:

Name: DEVENISH, GEORGE WESTON

Initials: G W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text: 35th Sqdn.

Secondary Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Secondary Unit Text: and

Date of Death: 06/06/1917

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: ARRAS FLYING SERVICES MEMORIAL

As always, thanks in advance for any help on this.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris wrote:

I wonder if you have any information on this officer of RFA who, after becoming a flyer, was killed in action on 6th July 1917. Unfortuantely I have no idea which Brigade he may have served in.  Name: DEVENISH, GEORGE WESTON  Initials: G W

Don't have much on him but I can tell you that he went to France with the 29th Brigade Ammuniton Column, RFA and received the 1914 Star with Clasp. He was wounded on 29 October 1914. Regards. Dick Flory

Chris wrote: 

Don't have much on him but I can tell you that he went to France with the 29th Brigade Ammuniton Column, RFA and received the 1914 Star with Clasp.  He was wounded on 29 October 1914.  Regards.  Dick Flory

Dick,

Many thanks for this information. I had posted a separate message in the "Air War Section" and amogst other replies, Doug Lewis posted a good synopsis of the man. If you are intrested, the thread is here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...ndpost&p=351403

Chris.

Dick,

Do you have any information on Captain William Bevan, Royal Field Artillery (TF), noted as twice wounded and joined August 4th 1914. I recently picked up a photograph of the man, Happy to send you a scan for your records.

Regards

Andy

Hi Dick,

I'm looking for the 5th London Brigade as my grandfather Jack Leaver served in the R.F.A. London Territorials from 1915 until gassed in 1917. Would like to try and trace his unit's moves if possible.

Regards

John

Andy Shaw wrote:

Do you have any information on Captain William Bevan, Royal Field Artillery (TF), noted as twice wounded and joined August 4th 1914. I recently picked up a photograph of the man, Happy to send you a scan for your records.

Captain William Hugh Bevan, RFA TF

Born in 1890, the son of Thomas Sydney Bevan and Annie Charlotte Bevan of Lynmouth

Educated at Blundell's School from January 1907 to Summer 1910.

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, 21st County of London Howitzer Brigade, 8th London (Howitzer) Brigade, RFA TF on 12 December 1914. This unit later became D Battery, 238th Brigade, RFA TF in the 47th (London) Division in May 1916 and in December 1916 became D Battery, 235th Brigade, RFA TF

Promoted to Lieutenant, RFA TF on 1 June 1916

Appointed as an Acting Captain, RFA TF on 11 September 1917

Sources: Bundell's Register, Part II, 1882-1932; various Army Lists.

John Holmes wrote:

I'm looking for the 5th London Brigade as my grandfather Jack Leaver served in the R.F.A. London Territorials from 1915 until gassed in 1917. Would like to try and trace his unit's moves if possible.

At the beginning of the war 5th London Brigade, RFA TF was composed of 12th, 13th and 14th County of London Batteries and the 5th London Brigade Ammunition Column. In May 1916 the brigade was redesignated as 235th Brigade, RFA TF with 12th Battery becoming A Battery, 13th Battery becoming B Battery, 14th Battery becoming C Battery and D Battery, 176 Brigade becoming D Battery of the brigade. The Brigade fought through out the war as a part of 47th (London) Division. To trace the unit's movements I would suggest obtaining a copy of The 47th (London) Division 1914-1919. Regards. Dick Flory