Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

ogdenm wrote:

Can anybody tell me how I can try to find out which battery my grandfather served in?

Without the battery number I believe I am 'stuck' to find out where he served.

Name: John Large

Date of Birth: 23/11/1897

Date of Enlistment: 6/4/1915

Army Number: 685759

Date of Discharge: 25/1/1919

Served with 2/3 West lancashire Brigade RFA

ogdenm: There is no way to tell which battery an other rank served in by the using the regimental number. Since batteries did not usually serve independently, you should be able to tell where he served by researching the 2/3 W Lancs Bde, RFA. Unfortunately that brigade was broken up in April 1917 so it will be difficult to tell where he went after that. Regards. Dick Flory

Edwin wrote:

hi rflory,can you recomend a book for 330 brigade rfa snd or 66th div

Edwin: As I wrote you earlier on another thread on this forum, I am not aware of any book on 330 Brigade, RFA or the 66th Division that would be of assistance to you. Dick Flory

Dick

A very impressive collection! My preoccupying interest is Wiltshire in WWI but I've very little info about artillery training there, mainly because unit histories are so elusive. And I suspect, like some infantry regimental histories, many gloss over time in the UK and start off in France or wherever.

Don't worry, I don't expect you to plough through all your books for references, but if you can think of any good accounts off the top of your head I'll be pleased to pay photocopying & postage costs subject to prior agreement of what these are.

I read somewhere that all units of the RHA and RFA and many of the RGA spent a fortnight or so of final training at Larkhill before going overseas. Is this your impression?

I'm familiar of course with N D G James' "Gunners at Larkhill"; Dennis Wheatley had a terrible time near Imber in late 1916 with the 2/1st City of London RFA; and Norman Tennant of the RFA was unimpressed with Rollestone in "A Saturday Night Soldier's War".

At a glance i cant see anything for the 83rd Bde RFA, do you have anything on

D Bty 83 Bde RFA, K2 Div troops, round about March 1918 ??

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Guest BILLPORTER
Dear sir

I would like to take your kind offer of help.

I have started to do my familys back ground research and have just been told I had a great uncle that was killed at the start of ww1. His name was DAVID MARTIN aged 18 and was in the R.H.A. and is buried somewhere in France. He was born in Belfast on my mothers side.

I looked up his name on the cwgc.wargraves web site but no mention of him I suppose he could have been an unknown soldier. I have found out that out of 70 RHA soldiers 20% were buried unknown. I have been told that there is a list of names of unknown soldiers but where  to look ???

Being an ex soldier myself I have a great interest in great uncle David.

I would like to thank you once again for any help you can give me.

I hope this email finds you in good health

yours

Bill Porters

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dick

I'm posting on the off-chance that you can point me in the right direction to research Gunner Fred Atkinson Maltby, A Bty, 95th Bde of the RFA. He was killed on 21st March 1918, presumably during the German St Michael offensive. His name is on the memorial at Poziers. He enlisted in Spring 1917, so I guess he wouldn't have been at the front for very long before being killed. I haven't been able to discover where he was stationed (and where his body still lies) in March 1918.

Many thanks for your service.

Dave Waite

On 21 March 1918, 94th and 95th Brigade, RFA were part of the 21st Divisional Artillery. That morning the infantry of the 16th Division occupied the Brown Line and soon withdrew to the St. Emilie defences. The batteries withdrew to selected positions in the neighborhood of Caulcort under heavy German machine gun and shell fire. At 4pm the two brigades withdrew to the Green Line and Half Batteries of each brigade were ordered to take up previously selected postions in support of that line, and the the remaining Half Batteries covered the withdrawal of the infantry.

Extracted from "Actions Performed by the Artillery of the Fifth Army" on pages 255 to 282 of "The Journal of the Royal Artillery", vol. 45, Nov 1918. Dick Flory

Thanks for such a fast and informative reply. It ties in with a report from his CO that he was injured by shelling and died before reaching the CCS. I'm off now to check the map.

Your help is very much appreciated

Dave

rflory

I know this is a long shot and I have no information, but have you anything on the210th Bty originating I'm told from the Midlands England.

Regards Doug.

Hi Dick,

You seem to have an unbelievable amount of information on Artillery. Hope you might be able to give some help.

Trying to research an RGA individual, my grandfather, James McLoughlin Reg. No. 64278. His Medal Index Card was of no assistance although the BWV Medal Roll list him as a Corporal with Base Details RGA (presumably as at 11/11/1918?). His file no longer exists.

He enlisted in RGA in Ireland and according to his own information provided to the Irish army when he enlisted in 1922, he served with Trench mortar, heavy and super heavy batteries and also coastal batteries. He wrote that he served in France from 1915-18 and later in Messopotamia though no dates or units mentioned.

(a) Do you know were any RGA batteries formed in Ireland from coastal batteries or were they sent individually to Woolwich to make up numbers for other units?

(B) Can you make an estimate as to when someone with the number 64278 enlisted. I was under the impression that this would be a pre-war number?

© He claimed to hold a field commission as 2nd Lt for a period yet is not mentioned in any of the Officers lists - Are you aware of similar cases?

Incidentally I have the histories of the 9th Hvy Bty, 14th Hvy Bty and 76th Siege Bty. Naturally enough, I'm not lucky enough to have found him in these.

Regards,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

The Census of Ireland for 1911 is available to the public.

I have the names of most of soldiers stationed in Kildare Barracks in 1911 comprising the following batteries:-

123rd Battery (Part of BEF so presumably would contain most from 1914)

141st Battery

142nd Battery

Haven't listed the 124th or 140th Bty although these sem to only give the initials of the soldiers rather than full names.

If anyone has anyone who served in these batteries i can check for them for 1911.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I HAVE A 14 STAR AND BAR TRIO TO F A CADDICK H.A.C.,

DETAILS AS FOLLOWS,

1914 STAR AND BAR TO CQMS FA CADDICK 368 H.A.C.

M.I.D. IN LONDON GAZETTE 1.1.1916 AS RQMS H.A.C.

BWM AND VICTORY TO CAPTAIN F A CADDICK.

WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY INFO AS MIC IS JUST TYPEWRITTEN INDEX CARD FOR MID WITH VERY LITTLE DETAIL,

ALSO HAVE MILITARY MEDALS AS FOLLOWS,

BMBR 2640 C.C.SCOTT B 75 BRIGADE RFA BELIEVE 1917 YPRES AND DVR 542 T.W.MORRIS C 250 BRIGADE RFA T.F. LONDON GAZ 27.10.1916 (DIS 8.5.16).

Bobbluesboy wrote:

I HAVE A 14 STAR AND BAR TRIO TO F A CADDICK H.A.C.,

WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY INFO AS MIC IS JUST TYPEWRITTEN INDEX CARD FOR MID WITH VERY LITTLE DETAIL,

ALSO HAVE MILITARY MEDALS AS FOLLOWS,

BMBR 2640 C.C.SCOTT B 75 BRIGADE RFA BELIEVE 1917 YPRES AND DVR 542 T.W.MORRIS C 250 BRIGADE RFA T.F. LONDON GAZ 27.10.1916 (DIS 8.5.16).

Captain Francis Arthur Caddick, HAC

Joined the HAC in 1909 and in 1911 was posted as a Lance Corporal in No. 8 Squad, No. 4 Company, HAC-Infantry Battalion. In 1913 he was a Corporal in No. 8 Squad, "D" Company, HAC Infantry Company.

Commissioned as a Temp 2nd Lieut, AOD, 16 May 16

Promoted to Temp. Lieut., AOD, 16 Aug 16

Appointed as Acting Captain, AOD, 4 Apr 18

In 1925 was a Captain in the 4th Company, Veteran Detachment, HAC and at that time lived at "Rylstone," Royston Park Road, Hatch End and at 5 Broad Street Place, Blomfield Street, EC .

Thanx for the info on the two MMs. Bmbr. Scotts's MM was gazetted on 23 Feb 18.

Regards. Dick Flory

Mark wrote:

Trying to research an RGA individual, my grandfather, James McLoughlin Reg. No. 64278

Mark: I have checked through Army Lists through 1920 and I can find no one by that name as an officer and as he is not listed as being commissioned on the MIC, I doubt that he was ever commissioned.

The Royal Artillery recruited regulars on a nation-wide basis and men were then sent for training and assigned at random to units, so it not likely that you will find him by looking at RA units in Ireland.

I am not aware that you can use the regimental number of a regular to find the date of enlistment, but must admit my specialty is RA officers, not other ranks.

Does his MIC list his date of entry into a theater of war. If so we might be able to narrow down the unit if he accompanied his unit to the theater of war.

Regards. Dick Flory

Doug Lewis wrote:

I know this is a long shot and I have no information, but have you anything on the210th Bty originating I'm told from the Midlands England.

Doug: The Battery served with 66th Brigade in the 13th (Western) Division but I can find no indictation as to where it originated. Regards. Dick Flory

Doug Lewis wrote:

Doug:  The Battery served with 66th Brigade in the 13th (Western) Division but I can find no indictation as to where it originated.  Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Thank you very much for the info.

Regards Doug.

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ON CAPTAIN F.A.CADDICK HAC.REALLY INTERESTING STUFF AND AM VERY GRATEFUL.HAVE SOME FURTHER MEDAL GROUPS AS LISTED,

EDWARD F BARNES 10023 RFA.SJT 14/15 STAR.W O CL2 ON BWM AND VICTORY.MIC TO EGYPT 19.7.15.

ALBERT WILLIAM GREENWOOD 821001 SJT RFA.SWB RA/3848.

JOHN B CLAY SJT RAMC 43011.COMM 2ND LIEUT RFA 15/11/16 180 BRIGADE.SHRAPNEL WOUND L.ARM 16/8/17,G.S.W. R.ARM 30/3/18.SWB AWARDED.

LEWIS COX 35705 GNR RGA ON 14/15 STAR.SJT ON BWM/VIC.MIC TO (4B) AFRICA 21/12/14.

ALBERT EDWARD SCOTT 19326 GUNNER RFA.C BATTERY 78TH BRIGADE.KIA ON 18TH JULY 1916.COMMEMORATED WITH HONOUR AT MENIN GATE,PANEL 5 & 9.

2ND LEIUT ALBERT VICTOR SCRIVEN RA/RFA CAN FIND NO INFO,BUT SERVED WW1 & WW2 INITIALLY IN RA AS LIEUT THEN PIONEER CORPS.

ALSO HAVE Q.S.A. TO 59553 TO DRIVER G RIDDEL 8TH BATTERY RFA WITH BARS FOR CROWN COLONY AND ORANGE FREE STATE. ANY HELP APPRECIATED,ALL THE BEST BOB CLAYTON.

Thanks for looking Dick. His MIC has absolutely nothing. In his post war Irish army record he says that he had a 1st Class British army Certificate which presumably means he went to one of the Depots in England for training.

Might get lucky someday when someone scans or transcribes all the war diaries, wounded lists etc etc.. or someone finds recruiting lists. Live in hope!

As he was pre-war, I believe the National Archives have attestation papers for pre-war RGA men from Ireland. Might have to check this if I ever get over to England.

Thanks

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Dick

I'am new to the forum but have been most impressed with the help you have given to many others.

I'm trying to solve the puzzle of my childhood memories of my grandfather and where he was in France and also a story he told of someone in his battery recieving I assume MM.

Any help would be most gratfully recieved.

My Grandfathers details are

Driver Robert Loveless Barker Royal Field Artillery

No. L/31720

Enlisted June 1915

Medal index card seams to suggest he was in 153/B battery

But his paybook from 1917-18 and the creasefire order issued 10/11/1918 that I have all point to 277/A Battery and being attached to 6 R.N Divison.

He was a londoner all his life and like so many other lied about his age on joining up he being 15 years old rather than the 20 years his papers suggest.

Regads Bob Barker.

I wonder if you could help me information about two men who served in the HAC, I understand the book "Honourable Artillery Company in the Geat War" has a very comprehensive "Roll of Honour".

Their names and CWGC details are:

Christopher Douglas ELPHICK, born 1889 Dulwich

ELPHICK, CHRISTOPHER DOUGLAS

Initials: C D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Honourable Artillery Company

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 15/05/1917

Service No: 7379

Additional information: Son of Christopher and Louisa Elphick, of 28, Hillsboro Rd., Dulwich, London; husband of Hilda Kate Elphick, of 68, Garden Avenue, Mitcham, Surrey.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 1.

Cemetery: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Percy John HALE, born 1891 Chelsea

HALE

Initials: P J

Regiment: Honourable Artillery Company

Unit Text: No. 1 Coy.

Date of Death: 15/03/1917

Service No: 5232

Additional information: Husband of Agnes Clarissa Hale, of 12, Rumbold Villas, Mitcham, Surrey.

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. J. 27.

Cemetery: GOMMECOURT BRITISH CEMETERY No.2, HEBUTERNE

Many thanks,

Chris.

Chris B wrote:

I wonder if you could help me information about two men who served in the HAC.    Their names and CWGC details are: Christopher Douglas ELPHICK and Percy John HALE.

Pte. Christopher Douglas Elphick

Admitted to the HAC on 7 April 1916

Went overseas on 18 November 1916 and served with 2nd Battalion, HAC

KIA at Bullecourt on 15 May 1917 (on this date C Company, 2nd Battalion HAC was "practically annihilated" by an enemy counterattack that was finally beaten off.)

Pte. Percy John Hale

Admitted to the HAC on 17 November 1915

Went overseas on 1 October 1916 and served with 2nd Battalion, HAC

KIA at Bucquoy on 15 March 1917 (On this date the 2nd Battalion was ordered to send out two patrols (formed from a platoon each from A and B Compamies) to Bucquoy. The patrols came under heavy fire and lost heavily. "It is difficult to speak two highly of the gallantry and dash" of the two patrols." The two companies that night lost one officer DOW and incurred 20-30 other rank casualties.

Source: The Honourable Artillery Company in the Great War.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Looking for some guidance on RHA research. Trying to get information on a Trumpeter A.E. McCarthy, RHA. Entered the F/F theater in mid-August and discharged around 1923 upon which time he joined the St Helen's Police Force.

Doubt you would have anything on him in Regimental histories, but could you give me an idea of how many trumpeters were carried on the rolls of an RHA battery, troop, etc? I'd also appreciate any advice on sorting out which battery he may have been in.

Thanks,

~Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if you can help with any information on the events around the death of this officer of the 25th Brigade RFA. His name and details are:

Greville Hubert Robins BLOUNT, born 1883

Name: BLOUNT, GREVILLE HUBERT ROBINS

Initials: G H R

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Date of Death: 23/09/1914

Additional information: Son of the late Maj. Blount (R.A.) (killed in South African War).

Grave/Memorial Reference: E. 86.

Cemetery: ST. NAZAIRE (TOUTES-AIDES) CEMETERY

According to notices published in the TIMES newspaper, Captain Blount was wounded on about the 17 Sept. 1914, possibly in the Battle of the Marne or Aisne. He was Adj. to the 25th Brigade, who were part of the 1st Division's artillery.

Many thanks,

Chris.