Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick,

Do you possess registers for any prep schools located at either Seascale (Cumberland, England) or Windermere (Westmorland, England)? I have found memorials in both locations but it is very difficult to trace the individuals listed, as other than being boarding-students, they had no other connection with the area.

Cheers.

Andy.

Andy wrote:

Do you possess registers for any prep schools located at either Seascale (Cumberland, England) or Windermere (Westmorland, England)?

Andy: Sorry I don't have either. Dick

Hi Dick

If you have the chance would you be able to look for the folowing man please? I believe the publication is entitled "University of Aberdeen, Roll of Service in the Great War, 1914-19".

2/Lt John Sutherland, 6th Lancs Fusiliers

A graduate of Aberdeen University, later a teacher in Aberdeen

Originally a Pte in the Gordons

Parents from Tarves, Abredeenshire

KIA 21/3/1918 in 6th Lancs Fusiliers, aged 27.

I apologise, but I have no idea what info your books carry, so have to fall back on the old "any information in there would be gratefully recieved" question. Sorry!

Thank you very much Dick :D

Steve wrote:

If you have the chance would you be able to look for the folowing man please? I believe the publication is entitled "University of Aberdeen, Roll of Service in the Great War, 1914-19".

2/Lt John Sutherland, 6th Lancs Fusiliers

2nd Lieutenant John Sutherland, 6 Lancs Fus

Born at Tarves on 28 Mar 1892, the sonof Adam Sutherland, crofter of Tarves

Educated at Tarves Public School and Central H. G. School at Aberdeen

Entered Aberdeen University in 1910 and graduated with an MA in 1913

Taught at Rothiemay and then became Assistant MAster at Fetteresso Public School

Enlisted in the 1/5 Gordon Highlanders on 12 Feb 16 and went to France with that unit in November.

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 6th Bn, Lancashire Fusiliers on 1 Aug 17

Initially served as Intelligence Officer but was then appointed Adjutant and served in that appointment until his death.

"Killed in action on 22 March 1918 when rallying his men in a new line of defence at Roisel, having worked unceasingly and fearlessly in organizing the system of defence.

Source: University of Aberdeen Roll of Services, 1914-1919.

His photo is attached below.

Regards. Dick

post-765-1116293352.jpg

Dick - This is without doubt a beautiful & welcomed piece of info mate. I, and the family (on their behalf) are incredibly grateful to you sir. Even got a photo! Wow!!!

A huge THANK YOU Dick

Steve

Dick,

I would be grateful if you could check for a John Reginald Stagg (Haileybury Register 1862-1911) and a HW Stagg.

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

AGWR

AGWR wrote:

I would be grateful if you could check for a John Reginald Stagg (Haileybury Register 1862-1911) and a HW Stagg.

Stagg, John Reginald

Born 24 Dec 78, son of R. Stagg, Esq.

Educted at Haileybury from 1891-1895 (XXX - 95)

Journalist and novelist. Wrote the following novels as "John Barnett": The Prince's Valet; The Luck of the Lanes; The Dancing Bear; Geoffrey Cheriton; etc.

Enlisted in 1914. DCM

2nd Lieut. Middlesex Regiment 1916

KIA 18 Sep 16

Stagg, Harold William

Born 7 Apr 82, the third son of R. Stagg, Esq, Woodbury, The Avenue, Beckenham

Educated at Haileybury from 1895 - 1899 (XV 99)

In Business

2nd Lieut, MGC

Killed in action March 1918

Regards. Dick

Dick,

Thanks so much for this info. I had no idea that he was a novelist. I'll have to see if I can track down one of his novels now...

Kind Regards,

AGWR

Hi,

Is there any mention of this man.

Lieutenant Roderick Magrath OLIVER. 2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards.

Winchester and New College, Oxford.

Thanks

Dave

Dick,

If you have the Eton roll for WW1 I'd appreciate a look-up for George Patrick Elystan Evans - served on Staff as a Major - am told he earned a MiD but unverified. Would have gone to Eton c1875-90.

Many thanks for your help.

Do you happen to know if Eton is amenable to archive requests or if any photographs of scholars exist ?

Kind regards

David

David wrote:

If you have the Eton roll for WW1 I'd appreciate a look-up for George Patrick Elystan Evans - served on Staff as a Major - am told he earned a MiD but unverified.  Do you happen to know if Eton is amenable to archive requests or if any photographs of scholars exist ?

Major George Patrick Elystan Evans

Born at Hatley Park, Sandy, Bedfordshire on 20 May 1872, the fourth son of John Carberry Evans, JP, DL (1835-1893) and his first wife, Alice Harriet, daughter of William Smith.

Edicated at Eton from 1886 to 1888 (REv Henry Daman's house).

In 1929 he married Diana Bayard, the only daughter of Stuart Smith, JP, of Hall Place, Ropley, Hampshire. She died in 1930.

Held a commission in the 5th Bn, KRRC from 1896-1902 and in the Bedfordshire Yeomanry from 1902-1903.

Held the appointment as Controller to the Marquis, Curzon of Kedleston from 1908-1909

Served in the Great War as Staff Captain of the 52nd Infantry Bde. from 1915-1916

J. P. for Cambridgeshire from 1893.

Master of the Cambridgeshire foxhounds from 1893-1903.

Master of the Tickham foxhounds from 1904-1908

Master of the Hampshire foxhounds from 1909-1915 and again from 1926.

Honorary Secretary of the Association of Masters of the Foxhounds, 1917 to 1926.

Addresses: 16 Stratton Street, London and The Kennels, Ropley, Hampshire.

Sources: List of Etonians who served in the Great War MCMXIV-MCMXIX; The Old Public School Boys' Who's Who.

I wrote the Archivist at Eton a couple of years ago and never received a reply. I hope you have better results. Regards. Dick

Dave wrote:

Is there any mention of this man. Lieutenant Roderick Magrath OLIVER. 2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards. Winchester and New College, Oxford.

Captain Roderic Magrath Oliver, Grenadier Guards

Born 1 Feb 82, son of Roderic Oliver, solicitor, of Orlestone, Ashford and Emily Mary, daughter of Colonel Henry Giffard.

Student at Westminster College from 1895 to 1901 and at New College, Oxford University from 1901 to 1905 (4 Cl. Mod. 1903; 3 Lit Hum, BA, 1905.)

Articled to his father's firm, Oliver and Lyall of 52 Cornhill, London in 1905, and admitted as a solicitor in November 1908. Became a partner in the firm.

Commissioned into the 5th Bn, East Kent Regt. in Oct 1914; and later became Adjutant and Captain.

Transferred as a Captain to the 2 Bn, Grenadier Guards and went to France with the Battalion in Oct 1916

Killed in action on 27 Aug 1918 near St. Leger.

Sources: Winchester College Register, 1884-1934, Wykehamist War Service Roll, 1918; Wykehamist War Service Roll, Final, Oct 1919; Record of Service of Solicitors and Articled Clerks, 1914-1918

Regards. Dick

Thanks for that one (Roderick Oliver)

I am also looking for a Guy Gifford/Giffard OLIVER Indian Army, possibly a relative of Roderick Oliver (He is commemorated on the same memorial). Is there anything on him?

thanks

dave

David wrote:

I am also looking for a Guy Gifford/Giffard OLIVER Indian Army, possibly a relative of Roderick Oliver (He is commemorated on the same memorial). Is there anything on him?

He is not listed in the Winchester College Register. Dick

Dave wrote:

do you need to know the place of study to find them?

is there a photo of roderick?

Dave: Yes the name of a school would be useful. I have over 450+ school registers and rolls of honor and do not have the time to go through each volume looking for a name. I have a database indexing all the Royal Artillery officers in those volumes but not officers from other regiments. There was no photo of Roderick. Dick

Dear Dick

I would be very grateful if you could look up in Monkton Combe School:

Captain Thomas Charles Richardson, RE SR, killed in action 4/2/16 as OC 185th Tunnelling Company. This is for a book on mining at La Boisselle.

Many thanks in advance.

Simon

Duncan wrote:

Do you have Worcester King's Cathedral School?

Sorry; nothing on that school. Dick

Simon wrote:

I would be very grateful if you could look up in Monkton Combe School:

Captain Thomas Charles Richardson, RE SR, killed in action 4/2/16 as OC 185th Tunnelling Company.

Captain Thomas Charles Richardson, RE SR

Born on 27 Jul 84, the elder son of Thomas Arthur Richardson of Clifton Park Road, Clifton, formerly of Croydon, Surgeon, and his wife Jane, daughter of T. Gristock

Educated at Croydon High School; at Monkton Combe School from Summer 1900 to April 1901; and at Crystal Palace Engineering School where he took the medal on leaving.

AMICE 1909; AMIMCE in 1911

Worked at Dover and then as Borough Engineer in Birmingham.

Went to Rio de Janeiro in 1910 and worked for the Rio City Improvement Company.

Commissioned as 2nd Lieutenant, RE SR on 26 June 1909

Lieutenant, RE SR, 26 Jun 14

Went to France in Dec 1914; attached to 173 Company, RE

Captain, RE SR, 14 Jul 15

Acting Major, Jan 1916; OC, 185 Company, RE

Military Cross, London Gazette 14 Jan 16

Twice Mentioned in Despatches (London Gazette22 Jun 15 and 1 Jan 16.

Killed in action by a mine explosion near Albert on 4 Feb 16. "At the time of his death he was in a mine with another officer (also killed), when the enemy exploded a mine, causing poisonous gasses to circulate in the galleries, which overcame the Captain, and death was quick and painless."

Sources: Monkton Combe School Register 1868-1964; Supplement to Royal Engineer Journal, 1916; The Roll of Honour, Volume II; Croydon and the Great War.

Regards. Dick

Simon wrote: 

Captain Thomas Charles Richardson, RE SR

Born on 27 Jul 84, the elder son of Thomas Arthur Richardson of Clifton Park Road, Clifton, formerly of Croydon, Surgeon, and his wife Jane, daughter of T. Gristock

Educated at Croydon High School; at Monkton Combe School from Summer 1900 to April 1901; and at Crystal Palace Engineering School where he took the medal on leaving.

AMICE 1909; AMIMCE in 1911

Worked at Dover and then as Borough Engineer in Birmingham.

Went to Rio de Janeiro in 1910 and worked for the Rio City Improvement Company.

Commissioned as 2nd Lieutenant, RE SR on 26 June 1909

Lieutenant, RE SR, 26 Jun 14

Went to France in Dec 1914; attached to 173 Company, RE

Captain, RE SR, 14 Jul 15

Acting Major, Jan 1916; OC, 185 Company, RE

Military Cross, London Gazette 14 Jan  16

Twice Mentioned in Despatches (London Gazette22 Jun 15 and 1 Jan 16.

Killed in action by a mine explosion near Albert on 4 Feb 16. "At the time of his death he was in a mine with another officer (also killed), when the enemy exploded a mine, causing poisonous gasses to circulate in the galleries, which overcame the Captain, and death was quick and painless."

Sources: Monkton Combe School Register 1868-1964; Supplement to Royal Engineer Journal, 1916; The Roll of Honour, Volume II; Croydon and the Great War.

Regards.  Dick

Dick

That is absolutely FANTASTIC, more than I got by travelling from Liverpool to Colindale!

Incidentally, he was killed either by the violence of the explosion or by burns from the secondary ignition of gas.

Thank you.

Simon