Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Manchester Pals"

CROONAERT

If you need me to do any look-ups, please email me, rather than use the Personal Message facility or posting here.

I find that I’m logging on to the Forum much less frequently than previously and this will be the quickest way of you getting in touch with me.

John

• 3 months later...
John,

Many thanks for the look up. I have Sjt Heaton's Victory Medal, which I originally bought solely because I share his surname. It proved to be a good buy, as I later discovered that Sjt Heaton was commissioned into the RNAS in August 1917 and ended the war as a 2nd Lieutenant with the RAF. There can't be that many men who served with the Army, Navy and Airforce during the war! When commisioned he gave his occupation as an accountant. His medal is named: 10142 Sjt. H. J. HEATON. MANCH R. Presumably because he didn't see any service in a theatre of war with the RNAS or RAF. I think it is technically possible that his BWM may have been named to the RNAS, but there is no mention of this on his Medal Card.

Thanks again for the look up.

Regards

Gavin Heaton

Just to update this post, I have just secured Sjt Heaton's 1914-15 Star on Ebay! Anyone seen his BWM?!

Gavin

Just to update this post, I have just secured Sjt Heaton's 1914-15 Star on Ebay! Anyone seen his BWM?!

Gavin

nice one Gavin! you could do with setting a search up in case the BWM comes up

Hi All,

I am searching for copies of the Manchester Reigmental photos which would include the pictures of my great-great grandfather JOSHUA BENNETT, and also his son, also named JOSHUA.

JOSHUA BENNETT Pte 2602 joined the 2nd Manchester Regiment (enlisted at Ashton-under-Lyne) 11th Dec. 1914. Joshua was later attached to an Anti-Aircraft Battery, and I think it was for his actions there that he was awarded the Military Medal. Joshua died of wounds whilst serving with the 12th Bn., Manchester Regiment on 26th April 1917 aged 40. He is buried at Duisans British Cemetery, Etrun, France.

JOSHUA BENNETT Jnr. Pte 1740 9th Bn. Manchester Regiment. Enlisted at Ashton-Under-Lyne 9th May 1915. Recorded missing 19th June 1915 aged 19. Joshua is commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Turkey.

Any help with find a regimental photo which includes either Joshua would be very much appreciated. and thank you for taking the time to read my posting.

Best regards,

Linda

Hi All,

I am searching for copies of the Manchester Reigmental photos which would include the pictures of my great-great grandfather JOSHUA BENNETT, and also his son, also named JOSHUA.

JOSHUA BENNETT Pte 2602 joined the 2nd Manchester Regiment (enlisted at Ashton-under-Lyne) 11th Dec. 1914. Joshua was later attached to an Anti-Aircraft Battery, and I think it was for his actions there that he was awarded the Military Medal. Joshua died of wounds whilst serving with the 12th Bn., Manchester Regiment on 26th April 1917 aged 40. He is buried at Duisans British Cemetery, Etrun, France.

JOSHUA BENNETT Jnr. Pte 1740 9th Bn. Manchester Regiment. Enlisted at Ashton-Under-Lyne 9th May 1915. Recorded missing 19th June 1915 aged 19. Joshua is commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Turkey.

Any help with find a regimental photo which includes either Joshua would be very much appreciated. and thank you for taking the time to read my posting.

Best regards,

Linda

Hi Linda

welcome to the forum

Unfortunately, the regular and terrritorial regiments were not as well documented or photographed as the pals or service regiments

I would suggest contact the museum of the manchesters, especially regarding Joshua snr, as a MM recipient he may be more easily identified (0161 342 3710)

i will look through my postcards etc to see what i have for the 9th (but that is a long shot!)

chris

can i ask if anyone has any look ups for the manchesters they contact me by pm or email as i may miss a post to this thread

only one definite pic of the 6th and it's a portrait

manc

so precious little chance of it being him but i should be getting a book about the manchester territorials tomorrow

Hi Linda

welcome to the forum

Unfortunately, the regular and terrritorial regiments were not as well documented or photographed as the pals or service regiments

I would suggest contact the museum of the manchesters, especially regarding Joshua  snr, as a MM recipient he may be more easily identified (0161 342 3710)

i will look through my postcards etc to see what i have for the 9th (but that is a long shot!)

chris

can i ask if anyone has any look ups for the manchesters they contact me by pm or email as i may miss a post to this thread

Thank you so much for your reply Chris. I have been in touch with David Hopkins at the Manchester's Museum in Ashton, he has been very helpful, it was he who told me that Joshua Snr had been awarded the MM, no one in my family had ever spoke of it before, which is sad.

I will ask David about Regimental photos - I know it is a long shot, but I do not have a photo of my great-great grandfather Joshua. I will be visitng his grave at Duisans, near Arras in September. I will be the first relative to do so, but I hope that I will not be the last.

Many thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Linda

Thank you so much for your reply Chris. I have been in touch with David Hopkins at the Manchester's Museum in Ashton, he has been very helpful, it was he who told me that Joshua Snr had been awarded the MM, no one in my family had ever spoke of it before, which is sad.

I will ask David about Regimental photos - I know it is a long shot, but I do not have a photo of my great-great grandfather Joshua. I will be visitng his grave at Duisans, near Arras in September. I will be the first relative to do so, but I hope that I will not be the last.

Many thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Linda

Linda

another longshot for you, this is the website for the manchesters 14-18 re-enactors with quite a few original pics

manchesters 14-18

• 4 weeks later...
Peter, Alan Kilding was in no. 6 platoon of B coy, whose photo appears opposite page 30.

Company commander was Capt M H R Patey, and platoon commander 2/Lt J E G Percy.

Sorry to butt-in, but I too have the book!

Anyone out there researching the 6th Manchesters?

Hi Kate I'v got with the Manchester in the east by G B Hurst any good to you themonsstar

• 1 month later...

Dave,

I wonder if any of the following men are mentioned in the "MANCHESTER CITY BATTALIONS BOOK OF HONOUR":

Pte. 51160 ,Thomas Boys BIRCH. 19th Manchesters

Pte. 35203, Ernest MILES, 19th Manchesters

Pte, 41800, Harry WILLIAMSON, 19th Manchesters

Regards,

Chris.

Hi Chris.

Looking at their regimental numbers , I think I can safely say that they won't be.

Dave.

Chris

The service numbers are all post original Pals, probably joining the Bn after 1/7/16.

John

Later addition - I see Dave beat me to it

Edited by John_Hartley

Thanks, for the record Ernest Miles looks to have been attached to the "PALS" and died on the Somme.

Name: MILES, ERNEST Initials: E Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Private Regiment: Royal Fusiliers Unit Text: 8th Bn. Secondary Regiment: Manchester Regiment Secondary Unit Text: attd. 19th Bn. Age: 19 Date of Death: 23/07/1916 Service No: 35203 Additional information: Son of Mrs. Emily Miles, of 217, London Rd., Mitcham, Surrey. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 8 C 9 A and 16 A. Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Regards,

Chris.

Chris

I spotted this chap when I had a quick look at the MICs. His service number is a Fusiliers one not a Manc by the looks of it.

As earlier, looks very like a post 1 July replacement who was killed before there was a formal transfer to the Mancs. By the 23rd, 19/Manchester had more or less ceased to be a City Battalion.

I've come across a very large batch of 6/Cheshires who also arrived in France around July/August and similarly ended up all over the place. It's made research very difficult (and impossible in a handful of cases) as, in some cases, the transfer is recorded; in others they are shown as attached and in a further batch are still recorded as 6/Cheshires (but couldnt be by place of burial).

For me, it demonstrates the chaos that must have been around in those weeks if even the normally reliable British bureaucracy couldnt keep track.

John

• 9 months later...
Guest Lynne Simpson

Dave

I am very new to this Forum.

In 2004 I corresponded with David Hopkins from The Manchester Regiment Museum about my grandfather, Charles Garlick who enlisted in the Manchester Regiment in 1916. He was a machine gunner. He was wounded at the Battle of Lys in April 1918 and was "medivac-ed" out. It appears he may have remained in service until the end of the war although he attended Grangethorpe Hospital for many years for ongoing medical attention.

David told me that Charles Garlick (Regimental Number 108753) enlisted in the 18th Battalion, 3rd Manchester Pals. Can you tell me any more?

I note from some of the other posts that there are also photos in the book you have. Are there any photos which might include him in uniform? If so, could I trouble you to send me a copy. Trying to find information about Charlie and his movements during World War I are keeping me quite occupied on the net. It is really frustrating not to be able to delve in to Kew but the swim is rather a long one from Australia!

Thanks

Lynne Simpson, Canberra Australia

Lynne

With such an uncommon name, I can understand how David Hopkins may have got the wrong man, but I think he did.

The Book of Honour does list a C Garlick who joined 18/Manchester. This man will have joined in 1914 or early 1915. His service number was 9852 and he later served with the Royal Engineers.

The Medal Index Cards on-line at the National Archives record an man called Charles Garlick with a service number 108753, but this man served with the Machine Gun Corps and there is no indication that he ever served abroad with the Manchesters.

It is, of course, possible that these are the same man, but I rather doubt it. Where did you find the information you already hold? I think you need to try to establish which is the right man.

John

Hi Dave,

Have you got anything on Corporal William Gee, 20291, 22nd Manchester Regiment, Killed in action 1st July 1916 ? Is there a photo of him or platoon in the publication ?

thanks, Steve

I have no affiliation to the Manchester area or any Regiments therefrom but I did find this find this in Montauban in March this year and thought it might interest some of you who clearly do haveSomme_2006_043a.bmp

Steve

This is 7 Platoon, "B" Company. The book doesnt identify who is who, but Gee is listed as being a Cpl at the time so will be one of the three shown. You can take it as a reasonable assumption that he will have still be with B Coy when he was killed.

post-72-1146605887.jpg

krithia,this is all i have on william,most of it you will probably have,but i have lumped it all togethor.

william gee

cpl

22nd manchester regt

age 28

KIA 1-7-1916

born sale,cheshire

father edward,born partington,cheshire,foreman ticket collector

mother catherine,born urmston,lancs

dantzig alley british cemetary,mametz

grave ref.II.F.9

he worked as a clerk on the railway

lived grange rd,levenshulme,manchester 19.

wife amelia

he had three sisters that i know about,ethel,hilda and elsie[teacher]

theres no picture of him in the manchester evening news in 1916,but there may be one in the m/c chronicle

hes not on any memorial in levenshulme that i know of,its my hometown

bernard