Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Manchester Pals"

CROONAERT

Not a unit history as such,but I have the "MANCHESTER CITY BATTALIONS BOOK OF HONOUR".

Published in 1916,it lists by name and number all of the original members of the 16th - 23rd Battalions of the Manchester Regiment.These are all arranged into their battalions,companies and even platoons,each with a platoon photograph.At the back of the book is a (large) list of Manchester companies and places of work with "rolls of honour" naming all their employees who have joined up.

If anyone wants somebody looking up,or even any pages photocopying,just drop me a line.

Dave.

Wondered if I might trouble you to see if the following are shown:

9823 Pte. Harold P. BANNISTER 18th Bn Manchester Regt.

KIA July 1st 1916

19358 Cpl. Thomas Cook 21st Battalion Manchester Regt.

KIA July 1st 1916

8901 L/Cpl. James Thomson 17th Battalion Manchester Regt.

KIA July 1st 1916

Thanks in advance

David

No trouble at all,David.

9823 Pte H.P.Bannister (18/Mancs.) served in "II" (2nd) Platoon of "A" Company.(Company commander was Capt.C.H.Wylde)

19358 Cpl. (Pte. when the book was compiled) T.Cook (21/Mancs.) served in "XIV" (14th) Platoon of "D" Company.(Company commander was Maj.F.F.Ommanney)

8901 L/Cpl. (Pte. when the book was compiled) J.Thomson (17/Mancs) served in "III" (3rd) Platoon of "A" Company.(Company commander was Capt.E.Lloyd)

All three of these are present on their respective platoon photographs.

Thanks so much for that! Good to have that information. Another question: Are individual soldiers identified in the group photo?

Thanks agian for your assistance.

David

Hi,David.

No ,there's no caption of the photos.However,there is a possibility that on the platoon lists,the names are arranged in the same order as on the photo.(eg. the first name on the list may be the man standing on the left of the back row,etc.).This is only a "may be" though.

Dave.

Cpl Stanley Davies of the 20th Manchester Reg was a patient of 'my' nurse in October 1916 and contributed two cartoons to her album. He lived in Crofton Street, Moss Side, Manchester. Do you have any more information?

Dave/David

As far as I know there isn't a semblance of order to the Roll of Honour in terms of service numbers.

Dave - if you look up Page 90 (17th, E Coy, XVII Platoon), you'll see my grandad, 9210 Tom Brough, about two thirds of the way down. In the corresponding photo, he's front row, fourth from the left.

John

B)

Peter, Alan Kilding was in no. 6 platoon of B coy, whose photo appears opposite page 30.

Company commander was Capt M H R Patey, and platoon commander 2/Lt J E G Percy.

Sorry to butt-in, but I too have the book!

Anyone out there researching the 6th Manchesters?

Mike.

Your man (the only S.Davies in the 20th Bn.) is listed,at the books publication as L/Cpl. His service number was 17598 and he was in "C" company, 10th Platoon.His C.O. was Major F.B.Merriman,and his platoon commander was Lt.F.Nicholls.

As you are probably aware,this unit was part of the 91st Infantry Brigade, 30th Division.

As I'm now aware (thanks John) that there's no correlation between lists and the photos,I can only supply you with a platoon photo.If you want one emailing to you,let me know.

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Folks,

There are two other threads about this volume of which part one is available on CD and part two will be before too long. Look under Chit-Chat for a review.

Dave, is there a chance (when time permits) that you can look up 8654 Pte Walter Hilton of the 17th Bn, he was KiA on 1st July 1916.

I know his brother was also KiA, but he was in the Army Cyclist Corps and serving in Salonika at the time of his death (5th July 1917).

Many thanks.

Lee.

He was a member of "D" Coy. XVI platoon, 17/Mancs. He appears in his platoon photograph.

Dave.

"Frequent Users" of this Forum will be used to the regular plugs for my article on Tom Morgan's Hellfire Corner site about my grandfather Thomas Brough, which turned into a very comprehensive history of the 17th Manchesters (and, by implication, the other components of 90 Brigade - 16th & 18th manchester and 2nd RSF). It includes extensive detail on 1 July 1916 including previously unpublished survivors accounts (as given to Martin Middlebrook for The First Day on the Somme) and details of the official report.

If you havnt visited it recently, it's now updated to include all 17th fatalities.

Happy Reading

John

B)

All that can be guarenteed is that he is on the photograph (somewhere).

Dave.

• 11 months later...

can you check for-

anthony smith, lived Oldham

ernest smith, lived Oldham

william smith,lived Oldham

george a smith, lived Oldham

anyone with the surname Sales or Hammond whose address was in Oldham!

If you need more info just ask

George

George

The book doesnt list areas of residence nor does it give first names but it does show:-

Ten "A Smith" (obviously loads more who have a middle initial)

Three "E Smith"

Ten "W Smith"

No " G A Smith"

No Sales - but two Sale - an E and a J

Six Hammond - two Js, and F, AF, Rand JE

• 6 months later...

Hi Dave,

Don't know if the offer still stands but any info relating to

Private Robert Jones 17th Battalion no 8677 would gratefully be welcome if you have a mo,

Many thanks

Mark

Mark

He is listed in the book and showing as serving in 8 Platoon, "B" Company.

If you go to the Hellfire Corner site (click here) you'll find my article about my grandfather, Tom Brough. Effectively, the article is a history of the 17th.

John

Mark.

He was "B" Company, VIII Platoon, 17/Manchesters.

Dave.

Many thanks to both.

John, I have read the excellent site and account, I am amazed at the unit history of the 17th's and would like to know more.

Dave and John, thanks again for the prompt replies.

Cheers chaps

Mark