Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Relative served in Loyal North Lancashire regt

Aaron Nelson

Hi all,

Have recently discovered one of my Great Grandfathers cousins served in the First World War ( Thanks Sotonmate). His name was John L. Hinchcliffe, I checked the MIC at National Archives, only one John L Hinchcliffe came up with the search. His details were.

Pte John L Hinchcliffe

Loyal North Lancashire Regt

Regimental Number 41966

Entitled to British War medal and Victory medal.

Roll number H/2/101B9 or B 19 page 2899.

My question is, is there any way we can establish what Battalion of the Loyal North Lancashires he served in from the above info, or will have to get more info. Would a museum have this info?

It appears he survived the war as he is not listed as a casualty.

Any advice on 'where to from here' would be greatfully recieved.

Cheers all, and thanks in advance to any advice.

regards Aaron

Aaron

I think I only hear Kew calling, mate.

Only a check on the actual medal roll and/or service papers (if they still exist) is going to give the answer.

I know it's not exactly just down the road for you, so it might be worth you dropping an email to the Regimental Archives to see if they have anything. It's possible they have a copy of the Roll. Contact details are at http://www.army.mod.uk/qlr/museum_archives/index.htm

John

Aaron

It might just be on the papers of his brother you are about to get from the NA if all other powerful forces here fail!

Sotonmate

Thanks John and Sotonmate,

I will contact the museum as suggested, Kew certainly is a long way away for me, will see what comes back from the museum. Thanks so much for your help and advice so far.

Cheers Aaron.

Aaron - I don't know if you it's possible to make financial transactions from outside the UK with the NA, but you don't need anyone to go to Kew for a medal roll page. The NA will photograph the page you're after and send a link via email for you to download it. Just plug the details in this page. I've done it before - you can get 10 pages for £8.50.

Cheers,

Marc

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Jan 31 2007, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What details would I require to obtain a service record on line? Phil B

Hi,

I've never done this for an on-line access copy (it's cheaper to get them photocopied and posted - cost me about £11 for the last service record I ordered). However, I assume it's possible as long as it doesn't take them too long to locate it (i.e. John Smith might be a no-no) and prepare it.

For example, I requested:

Service papers for Charles Kendall, xxxxx RFA

WO 363/ K 139 or WO 363/ K 140

with only those details and they arrived in the post 3 weeks later.

I guess any other info you know (e.g. NOK, address etc.) helps them too.

Cheers,

Marc

Marc,

Thats awesome, thanks so much for that info, I will follow that up and take your advice.

regards Aaron.

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Feb 1 2007, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And that WO number comes off the MIC? Phil B

No, but it's easily found:

go to this page and enter the surname in the 'Word or Phrase' box. Enter 'WO 363' or 'WO 364' in the 'Department or Series Code' box and click on 'search'.

Note the WO numbers cover a series of men with the same surname or alphabetically close surnames. So, if you enter 'Richardson' as the surname and you'll get 68 results. It's then just a matter of finding which of these your man falls under, e.g. if you're after Frank Richardson your reference is

WO 363/R 309 Richardson Frank - Richardson Fred 1914 - 1920

If the surname is unusual you might have to work out a more common one that will come closely before or after it, if you follow?

Hope this helps,

Marc