Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Barrack design.

Owen D

Just been Googling and saw this photo that I thought at first glance was Le Marchant Barracks, Devizes, Wiltshire.

But no it's Cardwell Keep Guildford Surrey once depot of the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment.

Quick query, how many Barracks were built to this design?

Le Marchant Barracks archway was knocked down in WW2 by a rather large American truck.

Cardwell Barracks here.

http://www.photoconnect.net/photopage.php?ref=1005818

Le Marchant here

http://www.strum.co.uk/wessex/devpic.htm

PS It doesn't look like this now, it's a huge building site for new housing.

Rousillon Bks, Chichester

Jellalabad Barracks Mount St. Taunton

No photo, but the Devon & Dorsets Museum in the Keep at Dorchester looks similar

Chris

No photo, but the Devon & Dorsets Museum in the Keep at Dorchester looks similar

Chris

Not quite the same.

Dave

Cheers Dave, I posted same Barracks in my first post but you have correct name.

On your link is says..

The keep is known as a Cardwell Keep and is typical of those seen at many 19th Century barracks.

So all connected with the Cardwell Reforms of the Army and it was a Standard Design.

There is also the Keep in Kingston Upon Thames which is now Army Quartering but was a turn of the Century Barracks.

Rob

On Design have a look at Redford Barracks in Edinburgh, that was a design destined for India, large long cold corridoors with louvered windows. Apparantly it was a mix up of plans-wonder what ended up in India!

:D

...............don't forget there's the one in reading (berks) which i can't for the life of me remember wether it's called Brock brks or Gough brks, but is now a big T.A. centre. The keep is now private, and the lst time i looked, it (the keep) was being used by the arts n crafts typies!

tim

B)-->

QUOTE(Rob B @ Jan 29 2007, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On Design have a look at Redford Barracks in Edinburgh, that was a design destined for India, large long cold corridoors with louvered windows. Apparantly it was a mix up of plans-wonder what ended up in India!Rob

Hallo Rob, :D

I have heard a similar story with regards what is now McKee Barracks on Blackhourse Avenue in Dublin, all in Red-brick too. But I believe they were purposley designed this way and have no connection to any mix-up with plans in India.

Kevin. :D

These barracks have one thing in common.All were designed in the Victorian age.Rather like the standardised Royal Air Force airfield architecture associated with the 1935 expansion

Pontefract Barracks had a similar look until local Government got hold of it and reduced to vitually nothing.

Lincoln Barracks has a similar wall.

Beverley also had that particular design,now vanished and replaced by Morrisons.Also a pub was build on the site which has some good history of the East Yorkshire Regiment going back to the Great War and I think beyond.

I have noticed that on the rare occasion that I have looked at old regimental barracks in cities, the first thing that springs to mind is that they invariably are surrounded by strong and high walls. Further, I understand that the first buildings to be errected on a new barrack site is that of the guard room. I pose the question. Is the purpose for this in order to keep deprived civilians out, or could it be to keep the foolish and eager volunteer in?. When I 'volunteered, we were not allowed out for about a month or more. Some of us were told that the reason was, that we were not worthy to be seen in uniform, by the hard-working civilians who so generously paid their taxes for our support and our high standard of living. I wonder what our members think! :rolleyes: