Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries Archive

Andrew Hesketh

Just a thought - which may have been discussed on the forum before, in which case apologies for bringing it up.

Chris has started including war diary extracts on the site, which is a welcome idea. I know that loads of us have parts of war diaries (or in some cases complete ones). Could we therefore, with Chris's (is that correct punctuation? I was always hopeless with apostrophes) permission, develop an archive on this site? Is this okay legally (i.e. are there copyright problems)?

Alternatively how about a page listing who's got what and is willing to do look ups for others? For those of us too far from the PRO for easy visits this could be a real boon.

Any thoughts?

All the best,

Andrew

(with complete 1/7th Sherwood Foresters diary and bits of most other SF battalions)

I ve got the whole 2 KRRC war diary plus my granfather's trench diary for the first three months of the war. I would be happy to contribute.

Mike

I ve got the whole 2 KRRC war diary plus my granfather's trench diary for the first three months of the war. I would be happy to contribute.

MIke

If you'd log your willingness to do look-ups in the Document Repository section, that'll guarantee folk see it.

Cheers

John

• 11 months later...

I have photo copies of the war diaries of 1/6 Manchesters and 127th Bde for 1-6 June, 1915 during the 3rd Battle of Krithia along with the original battle order as written on note pad! Let me know if you need soft copies of these as I can create a PDF with them to upload. I also have 3 Oct 1917 for the 6th bn, East Yorkshire Regt....

I'd love to help!

-Ski

Hi,

I dont mean to burst anyones bubble here, but I do beleive that this site has had a document repository for war diaries and battalion Histories for some time now. I have used that facility numerous times by contacting pals to do look ups for me. I also in turn have done look ups or those interested in the war diarys I hold. Best way to do this is go to the relevant section and just title your post corectly, eg '330th Brigade RFA March 1917 - Nov 1918 look ups available'

This section has been useful for me and I think its just a matter of it being used properly, you can easily search for particular war diaries by using the search facility at the bottom of each page.

Something all pals could do to ensure the smooth running of this particular forum is to have a set format for the post titles. As I say dont mean to step on anyones toes here, but it really is a great resource and the above are just some ideas to ensure we can all maximise its use.

cheers Aaron.

Aaron - you are correct. This thread, which was begun in 2003, was the catalyst for that addition. For some reason the thread has resurfaced.

It was a very thoughtful and welcome idea too.

Susan.