Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Young man in uniform

Grey Squirrel

Dear All

I believe this is a Great War photograph but am happy to be corrected if I am mistaken.

Can anyone give me any clues as to the corps, rank etc of this man, based on his uniform, belt, crop and cap?

Thanks so much.

Grey Squirrel

post-7808-1162916051.jpg

Cap badge looks like West Yorkshire Regiment, but I don't think he is Infantry.

Bandolier and spurs would suggest mounted duties.

I would therefore hazard a guess at 3rd (King's Own) Hussars.

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/cav/D03h.htm

http://www.qohmuseum.org.uk/3rd.htm

Steve.

post-13154-1162917353.jpgCap badge looks like the 3rd Kings Own Hussars to me.

I would agree with 3rd KOH

post-12171-1162917421.jpg

I tend to differ, gents. I think it is W Yorks. The ground bit of the badge is bigger than on the Hussars badge and his dress looks more like an infantryman who messes with horses. A transport man? I think an expert could say whether the puttees are wound infantry or cavalry style. Phil B

I'll agree with the 3rd King's Own Hussars, but sound a cautionary note that the ones Simon and John have found are the considerably more svelte models I think of post -war times?

I have (tho' not in London) and have seen versions which look like the one here - more a shire horse than a thoroughbred, with a scroll beneath that is proportionate. That's what seems to be on the cap here.

Definately the West Yorkshire Regiment - the area where the "West Yorkshire" scroll meets the ground forms a distinct notch/V-shaped indentation which matches that seen on the photograph, but which isn't present on the Kings Own Hussars badges we've seen so far.

See:

post-2039-1162919224.jpg

If Infantry how do you explain the spurs and crop?

Rob

B)-->

QUOTE(Rob B @ Nov 7 2006, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Infantry how do you explain the spurs and crop?

Rob

Because within each infantry regiment, a number of men would fulfill mounted duties - as is pointed out many times on this forum, spurs and the like do not necessarily mean the soldier was in a cavalry regiment.

Thanks very much for all the expert advice and suggestions so far.

This man is almost certainly from East Kent. Westlake's Army of August 1914 suggests that the 3rd KOH were at Shorncliffe near Folkestone, while the W Yks were at Lichfield, Malta and York. But I suppose that within a little time men were recruited without regard to geographical location, so this may be of no help.

Grey Squirrel

PS Apologies for calling the bandolier a belt!

I think its West Yorkshire Regiment because of the horse tail. The West Yorkshire Regiment tail is down while the 3rd KOH is straight out.

Annette

Just thought i'd add my 5 peneth, I'm with the West Yorkshire boys on this one. The horses tail and the ground on which it stands on my enlargement are consistent with that of the WY badge and not that of 3rd KO Hussars, cheers, Jon :D

On closer inspection I think i'll go with the Yorks

How about Queen's Own Hussars? The horse tail droops and the banner sags more and its ends are more pointed. It pains me as a Tyke to say it!!

From a post of mid 2005:-

Isn't the difference that the Infantry (Foot) tie theirs from the Boot up (Traditional).

Where'as the Cavalry (Horsed) tie theirs in a "Downward" direction?

In order to stop them becoming loose by rubbing against the horse.

I'm sure I've heard (Read) this somewhere.

Mark.

This makes him definitely infantry? Phil B

I'm with the West Yorkshire boys on this one.
How dare you called me a boy :angry: , I was not one the last time I looked. :lol:

From angery female ;)

Guest KevinEndon

Females on the forum whatever next. Only joking they all know a heck of a lot more than me especailly in the wall paper and carpet department lol.

How dare you called me a boy :angry: , I was not one the last time I looked. :lol:

From angery female ;)

Just looked and thankfully I'm still a boy (phew!) Please don't be an angry female (I got 2 of them at home!) Many appologies to 6th Shropshires for calling you a boy, but please keep looking just in case the unthinkable happens

ps I still think it's a West Yorkshire badge

but please keep looking just in case the unthinkable happens
:blink:

I hope it does not jay I am happy as I am.

Annette