Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Plaque Value

Macthomas

Hi,

Could anyone please give me an estimate, as to the value of a single memorial plaque to a Major of the East Lancashire regiment, assuming no gallantry awards etc. I may have the opportunity to obtain one and dont want to pay too much.

Thanks

That is hard to say.

First, are there any casualties of the same name? In the alternative, is there any supporting original material?

Hi micheal,

I would say it is quite an unusual name but would rather not say what it is, I believe I have found his MIC but that is about it.

Cheers

Check on CWGC or Soldiers Died to find out if there are any other casualties of the same name. If there are, the value will be lowered unless there is anything to corroborate it being the man you think it is.

I have tried to find him on CWGC but cannot find him. If it is the man I think it is, he did serve first with The Nigeria Regiment. I dont know if this would explain not being able to find him on CWGC. He has what I think is an Irish surname and three christian names.

I have tried to find him on CWGC but cannot find him. If it is the man I think it is, he did serve first with The Nigeria Regiment. I dont know if this would explain not being able to find him on CWGC. He has what I think is an Irish surname and three christian names.

It shouldn't. You can do a global search by leaving the last two search options blank.

If the Irish name is an Mc, try Mac as well. Leave the initals field blank as well.

I did not buy this item today, the price went above what I could afford for it today.

I can now tell you that the name on the plaque was McGRATH, BEAUCHAMP HENRY BUTLER and it sold for £62.00 hammer price but I still think it was worth it. The price was for the plaque alone, no box or papers etc.

From what I can tell. McGrath was a Captain in the Nigeria Reg and then a Major in the East Lancashires, his father was a Major-General in the Indian Army. Plenty of research possible there.

I would have liked to have added it to my small collection, but it wasnt to be :(

Cheers,

Ian

I did not buy this item today, the price went above what I could afford for it today.

I can now tell you that the name on the plaque was McGRATH, BEAUCHAMP HENRY BUTLER and it sold for £62.00 hammer price but I still think it was worth it. The price was for the plaque alone, no box or papers etc.

From what I can tell. McGrath was a Captain in the Nigeria Reg and then a Major in the East Lancashires, his father was a Major-General in the Indian Army. Plenty of research possible there.

I would have liked to have added it to my small collection, but it wasnt to be :(

Cheers,

Ian

Here's your man on the CWGC:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=266077

Bargain - I have been known to pay that for coldstream plaques to Privates!

Thanks Andrew,

I did actually find him on the CWGC last night when I tried spelling the name correctly.

Coldstreamer, I would have been happy to pay that for it if I had the money but things are tight for me just now. I decided my price beforehand and stuck to it. I was also a bit unsure, as I have never purchased a Death Plaque before (I have tried but they also went to dear) and this one appeared too good to be true.

Are there any well know fake plaques about? What names are best avoided?

Cheers,

Ian

and it sold for £62.00 hammer price but I still think it was worth it.

£62 for a plaque to a Major?

WOW! Somebody had a good day today.

OK so you all think I should have kept on bidding then? :(

Wonder when I will come across another one like that! I am mad at myself now because I knew, but you live and learn.

Ian

The entry on CWGC says, in part "Son of Maj. Gen. Beauchamp H. W. Mcgrath (Indian Army) and Mrs. Mcgrath; husband of Dorothy Stansfeld (formerly Mcgrath).. It should be "McGrath (formerly Stansfield)".

I have often seen this on CWGC entries. Is it some bug in their database, or have I just been unlucky in seeing cases?

Michael

The entry on CWGC says, in part "Son of Maj. Gen. Beauchamp H. W. Mcgrath (Indian Army) and Mrs. Mcgrath; husband of Dorothy Stansfeld (formerly Mcgrath).. It should be "McGrath (formerly Stansfield)".

I have often seen this on CWGC entries. Is it some bug in their database, or have I just been unlucky in seeing cases?

Michael

It isn't an error. It shows that the widow had remarried at the time Commonwealth War Graves contacted her. Most couldn't afford not to.

He was killed instantly by a 5.9 in shell in Collingwood Avenue near Hannescamps along with Capt Hallet, RA, and their orderlies. He had just returned from leave. Phil B

I wonder why it is not longer in his family?

I know it is unfathomable to us who treasure these mementoes, that anyone would ever part with any family items, but others don't see it that way.

For mothers and wives, I can see that a piece of metal cannot replace what they lost. In some cases perhaps the reminder was too much. In others, in that very pragmatic time, they moved on with their lives. I can see that a second husband might not always take kindly to a perpetual reminder of his predecessor.

In some cases, they may have passed to a remote relative, who may or may not have had relations known to his/her executor. I wonder how many lawyers/executors sold these off "to wind up the estate"?

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Nov 8 2006, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He was killed instantly by a 5.9 in shell in Collingwood Avenue near Hannescamps along with Capt Hallet, RA, and their orderlies. He had just returned from leave. Phil B

Wow, all this information being provided. If only I had bought the bloody thing. What makes it worse is that my wife informed me last night that she would not have minded if I had carried on bidding as she has a wee drop money put away that I could have "borrowed".

In the words of my good friend Homer Simpson..... "D'oh".

Every member has a tale of the one that got away! Way back, I turned down an Accrington Pals pair and plaque KIA 1/7/16 because £25 was much higher than the going rate at the time. Doh! Phil B

OK so you all think I should have kept on bidding then? :(

Wonder when I will come across another one like that! I am mad at myself now because I knew, but you live and learn.

Ian

There are dozens of medals I could and should have purchased - but the money wasnt available then and thats what it comes down to in the end

Knowing your limit is a good character trait - I know mine but thank god mrs coldstreamer doesnt know how much they cost :lol: "victory cross" - thats what she calls most ww1 medals

Ian