Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

uniform identification

Guest gumbirsingpun

dear lads

could any of you identify the uniform in the photo?

any help would be appreciated

regards

tuna

Well all i know hes an officer can you do a close up pf the buttons?

Single rank of horizontal braid on his cuff means his rank is either Full or Second Lieutenant (can't see whether he has two or one pip in the scalloped part to confirm either way).

Seems an incredibly long piece of cuff lace. My guess is it's a Major wearing four pips.

Seems an incredibly long piece of cuff lace. My guess is it's a Major wearing four pips.

Nooo, I don't know why you'd say that, he's definately either a Second or Full Lieutenant, a Major would have three rows of horizontal braid and a single crown in the centre of the scalloped patch. A better view of the officer in question would show something like the illustration below, with either two pips as shown (for the rank of Full Lieutenant), or just one in the centre (for Second Lieutenant).

post-2039-1162515437.jpg

See also about two thirds of the way down this page, under "Officers", shows the full range of ranks for cuff rank:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/ceftp/ranks.htm

I think we can call it a senior moment ;)

He is a Lt second pip on cuff line right sleeve as we look at it, nacker*d on the headdress as wearing his tin bin. The only pointer is the buttons which are bronze and have a pattern. I was wondering if he is not a classy looking Guardsman that tash is a cracker! Close up on the button and lets not see if he is a Grenadier.

Reputation on the line (proverbial) pistol on the desk.

Cheers,

Rob

Um, think it was one of those "joke" things...!

You'll have to make yourself a bit more obvious next time, it came across as deadly serious from my point of view!

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob B @ Nov 6 2006, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

...nacker*d on the headdress as wearing his tin bin. The only pointer is the buttons which are bronze and have a pattern. I was wondering if he is not a classy looking Guardsman that tash is a cracker! Close up on the button and lets not see if he is a Grenadier.

If you mean he's wearing a steel helmet, the general size and layout would seem to suggest he is actually simply wearing a stiff peaked cap, and the peak is all that we can see of it. Also, as Joe Sweeney has already pointed out, the buttons are not bronze, but of pressed leather in the appearance of the old style leather footballs, as favoured by some front line officers (very similar to those in the cuff rank picture I posted earlier).

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob B @ Nov 6 2006, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

He is a Lt second pip on cuff line right sleeve as we look at it, nacker*d on the headdress as wearing his tin bin. The only pointer is the buttons which are bronze and have a pattern. I was wondering if he is not a classy looking Guardsman that tash is a cracker! Close up on the button and lets not see if he is a Grenadier.

Cheers,

Rob

He can't be a Guard, they did not use the cuff system of rank but their own pattern of metal pips worn on the shoulder straps. The jacket was also a bit different, ie no pleat on the pocket.

The photograph might have been taken in a mosquito-infected area, looks like this officer is wearing a flynet over his cap.

Eric