Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for G.G.Uncle. Sam Feather Service 18776

Guest 'Rora

Mmm... I've ordered the Battalions Journal and his service record from the National Archives... but I still have a query that these may not answer.

Sam is shown on the Thiepval Memorial of Missing, and on the CWGC Database as having 'died' 1st February 1917. I was there just last week and took some 'nice' photographs for inclusion in my Family History files.

I've been surfing the web looking for which actions were taking place around this time but don't seem to come up with anything. On the first ten pages of the journal (which I already have received - just waiting for the remainder) the battallion were relieving Lancs and Manchester units around Hooge and Kruikstaart (spelling?) and generally filling in where required.

As he was "Missing" I think it is safe to say he didn't die of disease or previous woundings at a Medical Centre (his cousin Ernest died of wounds at Sangatte in 1918 and is buried there) as he wouldn't technically be missing, or would he?

Has anyone any theories, routes of investigation that might help me identify how/roughly where he died please?

His full details are: Feather, S. Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Rgmnt.) 9th Bttn. Service No: 18776

Many thanks to everyone and anyone....

Bright Blessings

'Rora

Oddly, if he met his end around Hooge, he shouldn`t be on the Thiepval Memorial. It`s either a mistake, or he was with some other battalion? Phil B

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Aug 7 2006, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oddly, if he met his end around Hooge, he shouldn`t be on the Thiepval Memorial. It`s either a mistake, or he was with some other battalion? Phil B

Well he's with a lot of other's from the same battalion; I tried to attach a photo but it wouldn't let me!

And the journal pages I have only go to Oct 1916 so perhaps they were moved? But I still can't understand why he is "Missing" at a time (winter) when presumably there were no major actions taking place.

Bright Blessings

'Rora

'Rora,

First - are you sure you have the correct man? How were you sure of his service number and regiment? (EG: there is also a Sam Feathers shown on CWGC).

Secondly, I note from CWGC that he was in the 9th West Riding Regt - who were with the 17th (Northern) Division. That division was in France during the Somme, and I think later into 1917, so that may explain why his name is on the Thiepval Memorial. You can check on the sister site - The Long, Long Trail (linked at the page top).

As to his being missing - there are many explanations. He might have been wounded and died at a casualty clearing station, and been given a marked grave. Subsequently the grave marker may have been lost, the grave destroyed by shellfire or other reasons, and its location lost.

He may also simply have never been buried, or fell victim to shellfire and literally ceased to exist.

If he is on Thiepval then it is likely he fell in the Somme region, and not Flanders.

Ian

Hello Rora

Phil raised his query because commemoration on Thiepval memorial signifies a casualty in the Somme region rather than Ypres.

The 9th were part of the 17th (Northern) Division that participated in the Battle of Arras in April 1917 - whether they were deployed in that area in February 1917 I simply do not know.

Your gg uncle could have gone 'missing' in a trench raid or have simply been the victim of a direct shell hit which would leave little in the way of recoverable remains.

It is better to wait until you have the Battalion war diary for the precise period. OR casualties are generally recorded but very rarely mentioned by name.

It is always worth remembering that routinely there were hundreds of casualties every day through sniping, shelling etc - the grim reaper did not always await a major engagement for his harvest.

Regards

Mel

Ian, you were posting as I was typing ;)

Regards

Mel

I think these guys have it right, Rora. Let`s start at the beginning! How do you know his number and regiment? Phil B