gem22

Garth

another look up please - 9th Battalion, Norfolk regt 15th april 1918

Hope i'm not causing you too much work

All The Best

Chris

• 2 months later...

Garth,

I am looking into the 1st Norfolks from their departure for France in 1914 until a few days after Mons, and would be grateful for any help that you could give me about the battalion at this time.

Do you know of any battalion soldiers' diaries that might cover thei time?

Thankyou.

Brendon.

Brendon

The book has a bit too much info to put into a reply here. If you contact me off Forum I can get a copy made and send it to you.

Garth

• 3 weeks later...

Garth

I wonder if you can help. These lads were second cousins and brother.

What and where were the 9th Battalion, Norfolk Reg. on Friday 15th September 1916. And the 11th Battalion Suffolk Reg. on Tuesday 9th April 1918 ?

They are my great grandfathers cousins. Sadly it was a tragic story for the family with news of one not reaching home till weeks later.

Many thanks

Chris

Private WILLIAM ANTHONY DEWING

22777, 9th Battalion, Norfolk Regiment

who died age 19 on Friday 15th September 1916.

FREDERICK ALBERT FOX

Private 14317 9th Battalion Norfolk Regiment

who died on Friday 15th September 1916 age 21

Private BERTIE DEWING

TR 10/6730 22nd Bttn

51459, 11th Battalion, Suffolk Regiment (Cambs)

who died age 19 on Tuesday 9th April 1918.

www.walsingham-memories.co.uk[/b]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Wondered if you could look up the activites and location of the following Norfolk Bn.

12th (Norfolk Yeomanry) Bn (94th Brigade, 31st Division) in between dates of 12th September and 1st October. 1918.

Thanks for this, my great grandfather artillery unit was asigned to this division in between those dates, wanting to now what actions took place during that time.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards Aaron.

Aaron

The battalion was at Bailleul at the time you asked about. Then on the 14th they were relieved by 93 Brigade. During the night of 18-19th A company went into the front line attached to the Royal Scots Fusiliers and B company went in attached to the Royal Welch Fusiliers. C and D companies were in support.

On the 24th they moved out of the line and transferred to Neuve-Eglise on 28th September. On the 29th they moved into line at the Ploegsteert - Warneton road. In this advance there was no attack, for the Germans were found to have evacuated their trenches. At 9.50 am the brigade was withdrawn.

Such casualties as occured were caused by stray shells and bullets.

Nothing more until the 6thOctober.

Hope that helps

Garth

Garth,

Is sure does,

Really appreciate your assistance here. Thanks so much for the information.

Best regards Aaron.

• 7 months later...

Garth,

How's life? Could you help me with some info on the 1st Norfolk Battalion.

I'm interested in this mans fate:

MOODY, ALBERT EDWARD

Initials: A E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Norfolk Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 14/09/1914

Service No: 8136

Additional information: Son of George and Maria Moody, of 13 Bathurst Ave., Merton Park, Surrey.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: H. 1.

Cemetery: MONTCORNET MILITARY CEMETERY

Albert Moody was born in 1883 in Plaistow, his family seemed to have moved around a bit, with his parents at least ending up in Merton. SDGW has him enlisting in London, but I wonder if he was a reservist or regular before the War although he was a litle young he could have been signed up by 1911(?) I suppose it's possible he was drafted (as a Territorial?) after the losses at Mons etc. Odd he should end up in the Norfolks.

From his burial place I'd guess somewhere near Soissons during the advance on the Aisne.

But the Norfolks history will hopefully give us a better idea where, and may throw light on drafts of men if he was an early war-time recruit.

Best Wishes,

Chris.

Hi,

I've just picked up on this thread - if possible I'd welcome some information on the 1/Cambs on 28th May 1917 - a relative Pte James Day died that day. I know he won't be mentioned, but any info on what the battalion were doing would be welcomed.

Many thanks

Alan

Alan

I've nothing to offer unfortunately. The history contains nothing of interest for that date. The regiment appears to have been at rest near Poperinghe at that time. You may do better to have a look at the war diary for that date>

Garth

Chris

I think I'll have to email the pages direct to you. Bear with me and I'll give it a go.

Garth

Garth,

Thanks for that. I'll keep a look out.

Regards,

Chris.

Alan

I've nothing to offer unfortunately. The history contains nothing of interest for that date. The regiment appears to have been at rest near Poperinghe at that time. You may do better to have a look at the war diary for that date>

Garth

Garth,

Thanks for looking anyway. I've now confirmed that he died of wounds, so the injuries originally sustained may have been days even weeks earlier.

Cheers

Alan

• 2 months later...

Garth,

Do you have anything on Cecil George Davall, 2nd/Lieut 2nd Bn Suffolk Regt. He was commissioned into the Suffolks from the South Wales Borderers and KIA 23/08/1918.

Rgds

Andy

Andy

2nd Lt Davall is listed as a casualty in the Battle of Albert and more specifically for the attack on Gomiecourt which was described as a brilliant success. The C in C published a special OOD congratulating the Brigade on its magnificent achievement.

Garth

Andy

2nd Lt Davall is listed as a casualty in the Battle of Albert and more specifically for the attack on Gomiecourt which was described as a brilliant success. The C in C published a special OOD congratulating the Brigade on its magnificent achievement.

Garth

Andy

Garth

Andy

Garth

Andy

Garth

• 9 months later...

Garth

Any chance of a lookup of actions that the following soldier was killed in.

Name: COCKSEDGE, ROBERT JAMES

Initials: R J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Norfolk Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 25/09/1918

Additional information: Son of the late William and Jane Cocksedge, of Great Bealings, Ipswich, Suffolk; husband of Ada Cocksedge, of "The Ferns," Manuden, Stansted, Essex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 36.

Cemetery: NEUVILLE-BOURJONVAL BRITISH CEMETERY

Thanks

Glyn

Hi Garth

I am about to research several memorials in the Northants / Cambs border areas with men from the Cambs. Would you object if I asked what their units were doing at specific times as I come across them, or would it be easier to ask for a "job lot" in one go?

Cheers :D