Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Polygon Wood

sherree

Hello, this is my first post, I joined a few seconds ago. Are there many other Australian members in this forum? I didn't know much about WW1 until I researched my Great Great Uncle William Crossman Pte 2394 59th Battalion Australian Imperial Force KIA 26th September, 1917 at dusk near the racecourse in Polygon Wood after a schrapnel wound to the head and ankle. Eight eye witnesses reported much the same thing, one however rushing over to shake his hand as he died. His mates buried him in a shell hole near where he fell. His name is inscribed on Menin Gate (I have a recent photo of the inscription). I have read that only soldiers KIA up until mid August 1917 are inscribed on Menin Gate, however Uncle Willy made it onto the gate six weeks after the cut off date. There aren't too many photos of the Ypres area and Polygon Wood that I haven't seen and there is not too much I haven't read about it. My interest has branched out to include almost anything to do with the Western Front.

Also Willy's brother Sam (Thomas Samuel) was in the Australian Field Artillery Brigade 4, Reinforcements 2, he was away for four years and returned to his wife and fathered four children.

Willy however was a bachelor and 34 years old when he died, at least he'd lived a bit.

I am really impressed with Malte's photos of the Western Front.

Well I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and I will no doubt spend a lot of time in it.

Hi sherree, I'm an Aussie contributor. Although I had no relations fight during World War One I have always been interested in the history of the war. I'm actually heading over to Europe next June and will be doing a battllefield tour of which I'm very excited about. I would also like to visit Gallipoli one day, particularly after recently seeing the new "Gallipoli" documentary which is currently showing in the cinemas.

Cheers

Pete O

Hello Sherree,

About the inscriptions of the soldiers KIA on the "Ypres Memorial" up until mid August 1917: this regulation was only for the servicemen of the United Kingdom and New Zealand. So this can explane why all Australians are commemorated on the "Ypres" Memorial.

See: CWGC Historical Information on "Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial"

Regards,

Hans

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sherree,

Welcome to the forum.

Hans is quite correct about the Menin Gate - the 1917 cutoff is just for UK troops. All Australian missing in the Salient are commemorated on the Menin Gate. (There are no New Zealanders on the Menin Gate - they have separate memorials in a few locations, including Polygon Wood and Messines.)

There's a page about Polygon Wood on my site: www.diggertours.com/polygon.htm

You're probably familiar with most of this information but there might be something new there for you. There will also be a more comprehensive version of this Polygon Wood tour in my book that is being published next year.

Cheers,

Mat

Sherree.

Welcome to the forum.

As well as a good number of Aussie members there are also a good number of us in Britain whose relative served in the AIF for one reason or other.

Neil

Hi Sherree,

First welcome to the forum. Some weeks ago I provided the photos of the Menin Gate. I know that you send me another mail asking something but this mail has been lost. Could you please repeat your question?.

Mat wrote

Hans is quite correct about the Menin Gate - the 1917 cutoff is just for UK troops. All Australian missing in the Salient are commemorated on the Menin Gate. (There are no New Zealanders on the Menin Gate - they have separate memorials in a few locations, including Polygon Wood and Messines.)

Mat this is correct in the sence of New Zealanders fighting in the NZEF. However strictly speaking there are 86 soldiers of New Zealand origine commemorated on the Menin Gate. Naturally mostly in Australian battalions but some in British also.

Cheers,

Jacky

Hello Sherree,

Welcome to the Forum. I have found a lot of Australians who are being commemorated on the Menin Gate. If you have a photograph of your great great uncle, please let me know. I have already emailed you regarding our project.

Kind regards,

Jan

Hi Sherree,

Welcome to the forum.

There's a page about Polygon Wood on my site: www.diggertours.com/polygon.htm

You're probably familiar with most of this information but there might be something new there for you. There will also be a more comprehensive version of this Polygon Wood tour in my book that is being published next year.

Cheers,

Mat

I am curious about the book you are going to publish Mat. What will be the whole content? :ph34r:

Hans the Booklover

Hi Hans,

It's called 'Walking with the Anzacs' and is a guide for Aussie visitors to the Western Front. There are 13 walking tours of the major Australian battlefields, plus information about other sites of interest and cemeteries in each area. It's due out in mid-2006.

Cheers,

Mat

Hi Hans,

It's called 'Walking with the Anzacs' and is a guide for Aussie visitors to the Western Front. There are 13 walking tours of the major Australian battlefields, plus information about other sites of interest and cemeteries in each area. It's due out in mid-2006.

Cheers,

Mat

Hi Mat,

Is there a way I can sign up for the book. I would like to buy one!

Cheers,

Hans

Hi Mat

I'm researching a great-uncle from NZ who died near Wolf Farm on 12 October when everythng went wrong. Will your book have anything about the New Zealanders and that particular battle?

Regards

Richard

Hi Hans,

Cheers,

Mat

Hi Mat

I'm researching a great-uncle from NZ who died near Wolf Farm on 12 October when everythng went wrong. Will your book have anything about the New Zealanders and that particular battle?

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Can you tell me the name of your great-uncle? Where is he buried or commemorated?

Thanks!

Regards, Hans

Richard John said:
Hi Mat

I'm researching a great-uncle from NZ who died near Wolf Farm on 12 October when everythng went wrong. Will Richard

Hello Richard,

Do you have a photograph of your great-uncle. I would be very interested in his story for our project The Passchendaele Archives. You can find more information on our project on this Forum:

If you have questions, please contact me.

Kind regards,

Jan

The Passchendaele Archives

Hi Mat

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

My book has a specific Australian focus so doesn't cover much of the NZ action (except for a few cursory mentions, such as 'the New Zealanders advanced on the left flank'. To be honest, I don't have a huge knowledge of the NZ achievements in the war - I wouldn't do the memory of the Kiwis justice, so I'll leave it to a New Zealander to tell their story.

Cheers,

Mat

Hi Mat,

Is there a way I can sign up for the book. I would like to buy one!

Cheers,

Hans

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the interest. I'll make sure Tom Morgan has at least a few copies, so he'd be your best bet. I'll keep you informed of progress.

Cheers,

Mat

Hi Hans

Many thanks for your reply

The details from the CWG site are RULE, WILLIAM BRAMWELL - Lieutenant -39722 -date of death 12/10/1917 - New Zealand Rifle Brigade New Zealand N.Z. - Apse, Panel 7. TYNE COT MEMORIAL. He was in the 1st Batallion of the 3rd NZ Rifle Brigade.

It seems likely from Glyn Haper's book on the New Zealanders at Passchedaele that he was in the 3rd wave of the attack on the morning of 12 October. But they only got as far as Wolf Farm before getting bogged down.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Can you tell me the name of your great-uncle? Where is he buried or commemorated?

Thanks!

Regards, Hans

Hello Jacky, it is a small world! Yes you sent me that great photo of my GG Uncle's name on Menin Gate, I have not forgotton and never will, it's a great photo and it goes well with my other new photo of the site that he died near at the buttes in Polygon Wood that was taken by another kind forum member.

Yes I did send another request by email but it doesn't matter, I just wanted to ask for another more distant Menin Gate photo showing where my GG Uncle's name was located on the structure. If you happened to be walking past with your camera.

I sent my Uncle's information to Jan who is doing the Passchdaele Archive Project, are you familiar with this Project?

Hi Hans

Many thanks for your reply

The details from the CWG site are RULE, WILLIAM BRAMWELL - Lieutenant -39722 -date of death 12/10/1917 - New Zealand Rifle Brigade New Zealand N.Z. - Apse, Panel 7. TYNE COT MEMORIAL. He was in the 1st Batallion of the 3rd NZ Rifle Brigade.

It seems likely from Glyn Haper's book on the New Zealanders at Passchedaele that he was in the 3rd wave of the attack on the morning of 12 October. But they only got as far as Wolf Farm before getting bogged down.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for the information!!!

Is Glyn Haper's book still available? If so who's the publisher?

Kind regards,

Hans

my grandfather 'William Brokelhurst Cornish' (54th? battalion)was awarded the military medal for 9 rescues he did in the battle for Polygon Wood as a stretcher bearer the rescues occured along glencourse wood track 26/9/1917 from/to the RAP (?) and the ADS (?) at Clapham Junction

ps ; thanks for having a site that allows me to access the details that granddad never talked about to anyone in our family (he died aged 93 in 1992)...he was such a gentle man and war would have been sheer hell for a 17 year old boy, Im glad that he and his acts will not be forgotten. thank you again so much

regards

Anthony Edwards

Edited by amarke

Hello Richard,

Do you have photographs of these men? I'm interested in them for our project The Passchendaele Archives... .

Kind regards,

Jan

Hi Hans

The book is 'Massacre at Passchendaele - the New Zealand Story' by Glyn Harper. It's published by HarperCollins Publishers (New Zealand) Ltd and the ISBN no. is 1 86950 363 5.

From recollection, I had to order it from New Zealand.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for the information!!!

Is Glyn Haper's book still available? If so who's the publisher?

Kind regards,

Hans

Hi Hans

The book is 'Massacre at Passchendaele - the New Zealand Story' by Glyn Harper. It's published by HarperCollins Publishers (New Zealand) Ltd and the ISBN no. is 1 86950 363 5.

From recollection, I had to order it from New Zealand.

Richard

Thanks a lot, Richard. I'll see if I can get it still somewhere! ;)

Cheers,

Hans