Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering Today

Jim Strawbridge

This lady is believed to be Hilda F. Chadwick, daughter of Thomas Chadwick (laundryman) and Alice Chadwick (laundress) of 13 South Western Road, Twickenham. The 1891 census shows Thomas as having been born at Bethnal Green and Alice at Hammersmith. In the household were Thomas H. (born Notting Hill – aged 5), Charlotte (born in Scotland – aged 3 and Hilda (born Twickenham – aged 1). This would make Hilda aged 28 at her death on the 2nd November 1918. She is buried in plot Mu.I.5 at St. Albans Cemetery, Hertfordshire. I would very much welcome a photograph of her headstone if any Pal of this Forum lives in that area.

Jim,

I visited the graves in this cemetery about a year ago - I work close by so I will pop back and get a photo for you over the next few days.

I remember being surprised by the condition of most of thw WW1 headstones in this cemetery, as unlike those on the Somme and Flanders, many have weathered now to being vitrtually illegible. Perhaps there is no cycle of repair / replcement..??

Rob.

Rob

CWGC do inspect and replace headstones in the UK according to a set cycle.

However, some are in locations or are subject to peculiar conditions where they discolour or wear quicker than in CWGC cemeteries. They are also sometimes subject to 'rougher' treatment by non-CWGC grass-cutters!

Hi Jim,

In relation to the memorials in and around Cork, I have identified the areas relating to Cobh, Cork City and Kinsale and will visit these sites in the coming week.

One memorial site I cant track down is the one you mentioned for Cloyne with the name of Nellie Teresa O'Neill, QMAAC. I have contacted some local people in the Cloyne area and they are not aware of this memorial. If you or any other member has any more info on the location of the Cloyne memorial, please let me know.

Something I did find out today was that in the Kinsale area there are three old communal graveyards with at least six war graves in them, these I will also check out during the week as they may be of interest to other members in the future.

Regards,

Sean

Hi Jim,

In relation to the memorials in and around Cork, I have identified the areas relating to Cobh, Cork City and Kinsale and will visit these sites in the coming week.

One memorial site I cant track down is the one you mentioned for Cloyne with the name of Nellie Teresa O'Neill, QMAAC. I have contacted some local people in the Cloyne area and they are not aware of this memorial.  If you or any other member has any more info on the location of the Cloyne memorial, please let me know.

Something I did find out today was that in the Kinsale area there are three old communal graveyards with at least six war graves in them, these I will also check out during the week as they may be of interest to other members in the future.

Regards,

Sean

Sean, I will come back to you direct as this thread relates to Chadwick. And Rob, yes please, I would love to have the picture.

Whilst visiting the Cemetery today to take photo's for Jim, I noticed that a number of headstones appear to have been replaced since my last visit, and there are no longer any "illegible" headstones.

Thanks to Terry for putting me straight on this one.

Rob.