Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bremen Redoubt

Paul Reed

Found this photos while I was sorting out some old photo albums last week; they were taken by me c.1990 in the Bremen Redoubt in the grounds of the Zonnebeke brickworks. A truly magical place; a WW1 dugout you could just wander around at your leisure! If only I could capture the smell for you as well; it was truly something.

Sadly, I understand the whole thing collapsed a few years ago and there is nothing of it left now.

The first shot is taken from the bottom of the original stairs looking up.

post-6-1130865223.jpg

Great Pics chaps

Thanks for sharing them.

Glyn

Thanks for the photos. What a shame it's no longer there.

The fact that it lasted so long demonstrates how robust the German fortifications were and why our artillery bombardments were often not effective.

Mick

Thanks Guys,

These are wonderful photos, it's such a shame that it's all gone.

(Paul, maybe your old photos would make a great "then & now" style book?)

Regards

PAUL J :)

Thanks Guys,

These are wonderful photos, it's such a shame that it's all gone.

(Paul, maybe your old photos would make a great "then & now" style book?)

Regards

PAUL J :)

Paul, in answer to your question, a quick resume of Bremen....

Prior to the autumn '17 attack, there were very few German dugouts in the Zonnebeke area. Earlier on, it was too far in the rear, and German undergrounds were further forward, eg at Hooge and Polygon Buttes.

The Canadians found that underground accommodation was necessary and the 1st Canadian Tunnelling Coy started work on several tunnellings in the Zonnebeke area. The initial borings were carried out by the AE &MM&BC (the Australian Electrical and Mechanical Mining and Boring Company , "the alphabeticals", under Major Roger Morse). When the Canadians moved from the sector the 1st Australian Tunnelling Company took over several sites, one of which was the site at "Brandenburg" a German strongpoint...which did not have any underground shelter before. 254 Tunn Coy RE probably finished what the Australians had started.

The tunnels at the VanBiervliet brickyard/ Bremen Redoubt were discovered in 1983, found as it had been left, with whisky bottles, spanners etc on the floor.

and Aleks Deseyne, the then curator of Zonnebeke museum, researched it.

It is known that there were 86 similar tunnelled dugouts in the local area....of which only 4 were re-used German workings...almost all were "original" British/Canadian /Australian origins. Still, many people assume that such things are German.....eg several guide books say the OP on Hill 60 is German....when it points East (Major Jolly and the 4th Australian Field Company would not be pleased) Hope this answers your query, Peter.

• 1 year later...

I was just wondering if there was anything to indicate the sight of the redoubt. I believe it collapsed some time ago, just wondered if there was anything there.

Would of this collapsed if it hadn't have been excavated?

Danke

I visited the Bremen Redoubt Some Years Ago,whilst it was still in Excellent Condition,i was told by one of the Workers in the Brickyard,that once the Bunker had been uncovered,that a type of Virus for want of a better description started to attack the Concrete.I am not a Civil Engineer so i couldnt really describe this condition.In the Bunker site itself i found an Ashtray made from the base of a German 77mm Shell.All the Wooden Frames for the Bunks were still in place,as were the Wooden ladders to enter and exit the Bunker.There were even Official "Bremen Redoubt" Roadsigns directing the Visitor to the Bunker Site.Some were amongst My late fathers collection of Video Tapes is a Film that he shot inside the Redoubt,IF i can find it i will Burn it to DVD,and if the Quality is OK maybe i could send You a Copy ? :D .

Many thanks PBI, and the offer would be appreciated. Is there anything left in the area to pinpoint the posistion? I presume if it was not excavated it would still be intact, abeit underground.

Is this not a darker side to excavation?

As Mick D said, has it all gone?

Danke

I will have to start wading through over a Hundred VCR Tapes,when i find it i will be burning Myself a Copy as well.When i visited the Site,it was very easy to access it,you just had to be careful of the Brickyard Vehicles that were very Active during Normal Working Hours,i never saw any Coach Parties at the Site though,as it would have been pretty Difficult to find Parking Space for a Coach.From what the Workers at the Brickyard told me,the Tunnel System under the Brickyard itself was pretty extensive and the visible part of the Reoubt was only a Small portion of the Whole Defence system,and the Brick Company were worried that there was a Danger of Tunnel collapse within the Yard.Anyway Afkay,i will start trolling through the Tapes during the Coming Weekend,when i find what i am looking for i will PM you for your Address. :D

Is the Redoubt still there???? A few years ago I went hunting for it - not a sign in sight - and I kept driving into the brickworks yard but found noone to ask.

Kathie

All Filled in and as far as i am aware,nothing remains.