Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed with an MM

Rob B

Help,

I am trying to trace the citation for an MM I have, it was awarded to Sapper Rampling of the Royal Engineers can any one point me in the right direction it would also be nice to find out a bit about his service record and did he survive.

Thanks,

Rob

Help,

I am trying to trace the citation for an MM I have, it was awarded to Sapper Rampling of the Royal Engineers can any one point me in the right direction it would also be nice to find out a bit about his service record and did he survive.

Thanks,

Rob

WW1 MMs rarely are accompanied by Citations,very very few were published in the London Gazette,they were all however promulgated in the LG when the award was confirmed[these can be serched for Online><Click here!> {when they are working!} Sometimes Citations{or more realistically contemporary "Press Releases" can be found by scouring the WW1 era Local papers of the area he lived{if post 1917 the Home town is given in the LG}His service record may survive @ the National Archive/Public Records Office

Thanks Harry,

Have tried LG but no joy will try his unit and see if I can pin down where they were and go from there.

Rob

Here he is:

London Gazette 16th July 1918.

312349 Pnr. A. Rampling, R.E. (St. Osyth, Essex).

Indexed as:

312349 Pnr. A. Sampling, E.E. (St. Osyth, Essex).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

No wonder he couldn't be found!

This is the same Gazette as my great-uncles MM. Although, I don't know when my great-uncle won his medal, I believe it was at the beginning of April 1918, perhaps the end of March.

(He was also a Divisional Signal company man)

Steve.

Steve,

You are outstanding Rampling to Sampling I would never have got there in a month of Sundays!

Many thanks.

Rob

Did you find his CWGC commemoration, Rob?

Name: RAMPLING

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: Signal Coy. Lines of Communication (Palestine)

Date of Death: 06/01/1921

Service No: 343860

Awards: MM

Additional information: Son of Thomas and Annie Rampling, of Rose Cottage, Spring Rd., St. Osyth, Essex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 166.

Cemetery: KANTARA WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

----

Medal card of Rampling, Albert

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 177685 Gunner

Royal Engineers 312349 Gunner

Royal Engineers 343860 Gunner

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=3

----

1901 Census:

Clacton Road, St Osyth, next to Alms House.

Thomas Rampling abt 1868 St Osyth, Essex, Head, Grocers Assistant

Annie Rampling abt 1868 St Osyth, Essex, Wife

Ernest T Rampling abt 1886 St Osyth, Essex, Son

Albert A Rampling abt 1898 St Osyth, Essex, Son

Joseph B Poyatz abt 1870 Merthyr, Glamorgan, Wales Boarder

----

Birth record:

Rampling, Albert Arthur 1898 March Births Tendring Essex

Steve.

Steve,

It was on my list of things to do after I tried to earn an honest crust-this website is deadly!

But no I hadn't gone to the CWGC I thought he was in France to then find he died in 1921 in Palestine adds a bit more to the mystery I wonder what he died of?

Thanks,

Rob

• 12 years later...

Hello Rob,

Do you still have this medal and if so would you be willing to chat about my purchasing it for my mother and my family ?  She is the only daughter of Ernest T. Rampling.  The medal is my therefore my Great Uncle's.  Thomas and Annie Rampling are my Great Grandparents.  

Maree

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/08/2018 at 00:48, Maree said:

Hello Rob,

Do you still have this medal and if so would you be willing to chat about my purchasing it for my mother and my family ?  She is the only daughter of Ernest T. Rampling.  The medal is my therefore my Great Uncle's.  Thomas and Annie Rampling are my Great Grandparents.  

Maree

Hello Maree,

I am so sorry I don't - I bought the MM loose a number of years ago and sold it onto a collector in Oxfordshire at least 6 years ago.

Rob

• Admin
On 22/08/2018 at 00:48, Maree said:

Hello Rob,

Maree

Maree, try posting on the Family seeking medals section here, it may work https://britishmedalforum.com

Good luck.

David