Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Bars

welshdoc

post-8435-1129986987.jpgI dont know about every other collector out there but 1914 bars are becoming a bit of an issue. As part of groups i have several some gooduns some obvious copies (and sold as such on E BAY or speedbid). I have 1 however that Im not sure about. It looks the right size thickness and lettering but it looks like it was pressed off centre and someone has later drilled holes for the cotton(looks to be contemporary with the medal bar). Have any collectors out there seen such a thing?

Secondly slip on bars were these all "tailors" items or were they ever officially awarded?

I have included a pic but its not too clear .GAreth

There are a lot of dodgy 1914 Bars out there,fortunately/unfortunately it makes litle real difference to the asking price provided it is confirmed on the MiC /Roll page,as they had been being replaced almost from institution due to their "temporary" affixing method,sadly many "Right" clasps are/were removed & replaced by copies,by dealers knowing that they could ask a pretty penny for them seperately,even way back in the 1970s,so it is by no means a modern phenomenom.{& some of those will now have "accquired" a 30 year patina!}

The slip on Clasps are all Replacement/Tailors/Copies,the only genuine ones are those similar to your illustration,in a coppery red bronze{most copies are very "golden" in appearance & thicker than the norm}with 4 holes for stitching to the ribbon.

Your Bar illustrated appears to be OK,just ,as you state struck off centre,A copy would I doubt have been passed over like this,as it would be immediately noticable,the lettering looks right which it rarely does on replacements & the colour looks right,if it hasn't been touched for some years it is probably OK

There are a lot of dodgy 1914 Bars out there,fortunately/unfortunately it makes litle real difference to the asking price provided it is confirmed on the MiC /Roll page,as they had been being replaced almost from institution due to their "temporary" affixing method,sadly many "Right" clasps are/were removed & replaced by copies,by dealers knowing that they could ask a pretty penny for them seperately,even way back in the 1970s,so it is by no means a modern phenomenom.{& some of those will now have "accquired" a 30 year patina!}

The slip on Clasps are all Replacement/Tailors/Copies,the only genuine ones are those similar to your illustration,in a coppery red bronze{most copies are very "golden" in appearance & thicker than the norm}with 4 holes for stitching to the ribbon.

Your Bar illustrated appears to be OK,just ,as you state struck off centre,A copy would I doubt have been passed over like this,as it would be immediately noticable,the lettering looks right which it rarely does on replacements & the colour looks right,if it hasn't been touched for some years it is probably OK

Thanks for the info the way some sellers word things you could beleive the slide ons were original, I always presumed they wern't but was not sure. It was about my 5th bar before I was 100% sure I had a correct one. As you so rightly say it doesnt always make that much difference to value but its another case of buyer beware in particular over the internet. My Slide on bar was bought years ago when i first stared collecting from a dealer I didnt have a clue then but a 5 bar boer war 1914 star trio to the 2nd dragoon guards was not too bad a purchase for a novice slide on bar and all!. cheers GAreth

Gareth,

Have a look at this.

Regards

Steve

thanks Steve I think I should have checked the archives before posting. Still the one Im not sure about passes all the obvious tests and visually looks right but the pressing is badly offset and the holes original or not have been drilled. Hence the query about other off centre pressings, funily I tend to think an "original poor specimen" may be more likely than an utter crap copy or fake, as who on earth would buy it. (OK I know I did but it was not clear on the photo of the Trio and it was a good deal anyway). Cheers Gareth

Gareth,

I think I would need to see a better close-up of the clasp before deciding. I have seen and handled quite a number of these bars and have never seen one offset such as yours. If they were indeed finished by hand then this would have been an obvious candidate just for throwing away, but who can say what might have happened. If the finisher accidently dropped it into a box of hundreds of already completed bars he/she would hardly waste time searching for ages to try and find it!

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve Ive tried to rescan buts its just a blur and I dont have a close up camera. Its on a 20th Hussars star which I havnt started to research it yet and I have no intention of ever selling it so its not a problem for me. If its a copy its the best one Ive seen (barring the off centering of course) cheers GAreth