Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Honourable Artillery Company

SOMMESOLDIER

Hi All,

Could someone please help me out ?

Obviously the Honourable Artillery Company had a cap badge, but I was wondering if the Infantry had their own cap badge ? If not, how were they told apart from thier Artillery brothers ?

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers

Tim.

Tim,

The H.A.C. infantry company wore a grenade badge very similar to that of the Grenadier Guards, but in whitemetal and on the ball of the grenade was the monogram HAC. The monogram on the grenade for Sgt's, Staff Sgt's and WO's was in gilding metal.

Graham.

Hi Graham, :)

Very many thanks for the very quick reply, it is very much appreciated !!

I'd love one of those badges, but I bet they're as common as hen's teeth !!!!!! :D

Cheers

Tim.

I bet they're as common as hen's teeth !!!!!! :D

Just to whet your appetite!

Probably the HAC Artillery Badge is a scarcer item than the HAC Infantry Badge,as they fielded 3 Battalions in WW1.

post-2388-1129505261.jpg

Tim,

Still worn today I believe, but in anodised aluminium unless they've re-adopted metal badges like a lot of units have. As for a WWI badge, well unless you knew who it belonged to, it would be difficult to distinguish from any other worn up to the introduction of anodised badges.

Graham.

Tim,

The H.A.C. infantry company wore a grenade badge very similar to that of the Grenadier Guards, but in whitemetal and on the ball of the grenade was the monogram HAC. The monogram on the grenade for Sgt's, Staff Sgt's and WO's was in gilding metal.

Graham.

I think the reference books have the metals the other way round. The Ors was all in gilding metal and the Sgts in w/m.

Hi All,

Very many thanks for all the very interesting replies, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Tim.