Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC MIS-SPELLING.

steve140968

:) I have searched the MIC list online for my great uncle - Ambrose Shurey , but there is no record of him under this name . However there is a listing for a Ambrose Shurety . I have downloaded this gentlemens MIC and the theatre of war seems correct ( Balkans ) . What are the chances of this being my great uncle and is there any way of checking further online ? Many thaks , Steve .

Steve

Did your great uncle survive the war ? He may have served using another christian name, therefore you can not be sure that he and Ambrose Shurety are the same person. Have you any further information about him ? Where he was born etc.

Myrtle

:) Hi Myrtle , thanks for the reply . I'm pretty sure that he survived the war . One of the reasons that i'm going down this road is that when i looked Ambrose Shurety up from the 1901 census i did actually find one entry for a two year old . This would have given him a DOB of around 1899 . This Ambrose Shurety would have reached 'service overseas' age around about 1917/18 , but the MIC i downloaded entitled Ambrose Shurety to the 1914/15 star which would have made the one from the 1901 census around about 16 years old which would have made him too young to serve overseas . This is where i think my Ambrose Shurey enters the frame . :blink: "CONFUSED" , me too . My A.S. was born in willesden , Middlesex .

Regards , Steve .

Steve

The problem with your assumption that Ambrose Shurety on the 1901 census was too young to serve overseas, would be, if he had lied about his age. Have you checked to see if your g. uncle used his middle name which I believe was Edward ?

Myrtle

;) Myrtle , i do not know my g uncles middle name . I'm interested to read that you believe his middle name maybe Edward , how may i ask do you come to this conclusion ? Do you know Myrtle whether other than a spelling mistake any reason why his name would not appear on the MIC search ?

Regards ,

Steve .

Do you know Myrtle whether other than a spelling mistake any reason why his name would not appear on the MIC search ?

Regards ,

Steve .

If he didn't serve abroad.

I say that his name was Ambrose Edward as there was an Ambrose Edward Shurey born in Hendon in 1895 the same district as Willesden. I don't think that there would be two men of the same unusual name born in the same area of London, Middlesex unless they were cousins :)

Myrtle

;) Thanks Myrtle , as i understand from his nephew he was told that he served in the Dardanelles . Regards , Steve .

;) Thanks Myrtle , if this is correct then he would have been serving overseas - underage to qualify for the 14/15 star .

Regards ,

Steve .

I say that his name was Ambrose Edward as there was an Ambrose Edward Shurey born in Hendon in 1895 the same district as Willesden.

Hi Steve,

If we are going with Ambrose Edward Shurey as your great uncle's name then here is another candidate to add to the list of possible spelling errors:

Signaller A. E. Shurer, 231472, Royal Signals

Have searched FreeBMD and no Shurer births from 1860-1910. In 1901 census there is one hit: George Shurer, 27, born Som Dinder(?), residing St George Hanover Sq., London.

I don't know where this is taking you really, but thought you would want to hear about him just in case.

Stuart

;) Thankyou very much Stuart - the plot thickens !!! What do you mean by 'freeBMD' Stuart ? Regards , Steve .

What do you mean by 'freeBMD' ?

Steve,

The Civil Registration (1837 onwards) index of births, marriages and deaths for England and Wales is currently being transcribed by volunteers - FreeBMD is the resulting resource. Free to access, but it should be noted that not all years are complete - a breakdown of the individual years with respect to births, marriages and deaths can be found on the site:

FreeBMD

Just thought that no Shurer being listed as born in this country added weight to a possible mis-spelling, mis-pronunciation, mis-transcription or any other mis- you can think of that would make him a possible candidate for your 'mis-sing' (only just thought of that - wish I hadn't!) great uncle.

Stuart