Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Cloth Insignia'

Arthur

Can any of you tell me what battle patches, if any, were worn by 1/18th Londons (London Irish Rifles) at Loos in September, 1915?

Cheers,

Taff

Hi Taff,

I have two references for the 1st/18th Bn. The London Regt, however, there is no time period given for when the formation signs were worn.

[a] Green felt diamond, no size given, although it was of an equal size.

Green felt diamond 3"X2"

Hope this helps

Regards

Arthur

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for that, I really appreciate it.

Do you know if the patches were worn on the sleeves or a single one just below the collar?

Battle patches at Loos seem quite uncommon although 7/Suffolk were certainly wearing a patch when they went into action on the 26th.

Thanks again for your help.

with best wishes,

Taff

Hi Arthur,

Do you know if the patches were worn on the sleeves or a single one just below the collar?

with best wishes,

Taff

Hi Taff,

In answer to the question above. I am sorry to say that I do not have any photographic evidence of where the formation sign was worn. Prehaps another member might be able to help you here, or the likes of the National Army Museum or Imperial War Museum.

Regards

Arthur

Thank you for your trouble Arthur.

Alan Jeffries at the IWM looks after the 1917 insignia survey whch is extremely useful. Besides many original patches there is a huge amount of additional information (not always completely accurate as you would expect from information collected about months or years earlier) about previous insignia from questionnaires completed at the time.

Cheers,

Taff

• 2 weeks later...

Arthur,

I am late on this post but I am interested in these units :

2/4th KOYLI

5th KOYLI

8th west yorkshire ( leeds rifles)

2nd Wiltshire

Thanks in advance!

Florent

Arthur,

I am late on this post but I am interested in these units :

2/4th KOYLI

5th KOYLI

8th west yorkshire ( leeds rifles)

2nd Wiltshire

Thanks in advance!

Florent

Hi,

I have the following information:

2/4th KOYLI = Dark blue diamond 3"X2", Felt

5th KOYLI = Buff rectangle 2"X1", Felt

8th west yorkshire ( leeds rifles) = Dark blue 'T', Felt

2nd Wiltshire = Sorry I have nothing on this battalion at the moment.

Regards

Arthur

Thanks for the info Arthur. It is useful !

regards

Florent

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Arthur,

Does your pamphlet show any patches that may have been worn by the HBMGC/Tank Corps?

Thanks

Tanks3

Hi Tanks3,

The pamphlet does have some M/Gun Coy insignia, however, there is not over a lot of it. Sorry to report that there is no mention of insignia for the Tank Corps recorded in there.

Are you looking for a specific M/Gun Coy['s]?

Regards

Arthur

Arthur,

Excellent topic, Do you have any mention of the Royal Guernsey Light Infantry, who were attached to 86th Brigade, 29th Division, I would be curious to know what they may have worn officially. In addition what would the 29th Machine Gun Company of 29th Division have worn?

keen to know the specifications with a reference to the colour, size and material that they are made from.

thanks,

Mark - 1RGLI

Arthur,

Excellent topic, Do you have any mention of the Royal Guernsey Light Infantry, who were attached to 86th Brigade, 29th Division, I would be curious to know what they may have worn officially. In addition what would the 29th Machine Gun Company of 29th Division have worn?

keen to know the specifications with a reference to the colour, size and material that they are made from.

thanks,

Mark - 1RGLI

Hi Mark,

The 1st Bn Royal Guernsey Light Infantry wore a felt dark green and white horizontal rectangle 3ins X ¾ins. It is not stated where the sign was worn.

Sorry to report that there is nothing in the pamphlet regarding the 29th Machine Gun Company.

Regards

Arthur

Arthur hi - does the booklet contain anything on the Royal Scots ?

Thanks Rodge

Arthur hi - does the booklet contain anything on the Royal Scots ?

Thanks Rodge

Hi Rodge,

The pamphlet gives the following information:

2nd Bn

Tartan rectangle no size given red stripe top left - bottom right/yellow stripe top right - bottom left on dark green. Worn on hat.

A Coy dark blue 2ins square, cotton

B Coy dark blue triangle 1½ins sides, cotton

C Coy dark blue diamond 1½ins sides, cotton

D Coy dark blue 1¾ins diam disc, cotton

5th/6th Bn

2ins Red diamond, cotton with Coy bars below.

A Coy red

B Coy bright green

C Coy yellow

D Coy light blue

9th Bn

Light blue vertical rectangle ½in X 3ins, cotton

11th Bn

Red felt arc. No size given.

15th Bn

Red felt octagon worn on hat. No size given.

Red rectangle 2½ins X 1in worn on shoulder strap, braid

[1]16th Bn

2½ins X 1¾ins rectangle, felt

A Coy red

B Coy black

C Coy tartan

D Coy dark green square 1¾ins sides.

HQ Coy white

[2] 2½ins X ¾ins blue rectangle, braid

Sorry no time periods given.

Regards

Arthur

Thanks very much Arthur for taking the time, the listing is most helpful - best wishes Rodge D.

Hi Taff,

I have items belonging to Major WW Hughes who was 2ic of 14th London Regiment. The patches were Rifle Green felt and on his uniforms the measure 3 1/4" high and 2 1/4" across they are worn on the upper sleeves in his case 2 1/2" from the shoulder seam. I have looked through the photographs and I cannot see any evidence of these being worn as early as the Battle of Loos.

My own feeling is sometime in late 1916 but maybe as late as 1917. Worn by all ranks in same quality material judging by Major Hughes tunics anyway.

Regards

Tocemma

I've just been leafing through I Was There (the four volume edition) and what strikes me most about the battle patches, in its hundreds and hundreds of images; is their absence.

Similarly, I've dozens of portrait photos of soldiers - and, again, the battle patches are conspicuous by their rarity. And to the extent that I made a special effort to obtain such images and, with a few exceptions (9th Div, 29th Div and 38th and a few others); they are generally very hard to find.

I know that images of schemes being worn on July 1st etc exist; but....

I do wonder if we've all been a bit 'Chappellised' over them. Chappell - fair play to him for being the only half-decent references for years - does tend to portray the majority of his soldiers as done up like Christmas trees.

As a consequence, I suspect we've been seduced into thinking that these schemes were a. almost unviersally worn b. almost universally worn within any given coy/ bn/ regt/ bde/ division and c. were a hell of a lot earlier for the majority than they were.

Waring's Identification Pamphlet No. 2 - which I have - is indeed the most helpful text (if awkward to navigate); but again perhaps encourages one to assume that all men of all schemed battalions/ bridgades/ divisions were universally 'patched up' and then prior to their actual adoption.

Best wishes,

GT.

In my research of the 110th Brigade, i've found that in photographs the cloth insignia seems to be universally worn, despite the fact that a large yellow shape on each shoulder and on the back (from July 1916 onwards, and a coloured patch on the collar before that, either black red yellow or green depending on Battalion) isn't exactly inconspicuous

Hi Arthur.

Could i ask if you have anything on the 1/7th & 14th battalions Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.

Thank you.

Scott.

Hi Tocemma

Thanks for that. I agree. Having been through as much reference as I can find on the 14th it looks like the patches were not being used at Loos.

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

Cheers,

Taff

Hi Arthur.

Could i ask if you have anything on the 1/7th & 14th battalions Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.

Thank you.

Scott.

Hi Scott,

7th A&SH 4 light blue horizontal strips, cotton.

14 A&SH buff disc on red diamond, cotton on felt.

Regards

Arthur

Can I add my 2,

12th & 15th DLI

many thanks

Mick

Hi Mick,

12 DLI green/red/green square [horizontal] with central green disc, felt.

15 DLI green inverted triangle 2" top 3" sides, felt.

Regards

Arthur

thanks Arthur, I take it that they were worn on the upper arm, but was it both arms ?

Mick