Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Passchendaele options.

Tony Lund

I make no apologies for nit picking here. I have three alternative spelling for the same place, perhaps it is a case of one old, one modern, and one an English version. However, for the sake of simplicity and uniformity, when it comes to Holmfirth’s part in the war I am using the place names that were in force during the war. So I need to pick the right one to add to my Spell Checker. Your opinions please.

Passendaele / Passendale / Passchendaele

Thanks,

Tony.

Tony - during the war, the spelling in use was Passchendaele. The modern spelling is Passendale. I'm not sure where Passendaele comes from.

Tom

All three spellings came up during a search on google, I was half expecting an old and a new spelling, but finding three was definitely one too many.

Thank you,

Tony.

I make no apologies for nit picking here.  I have three alternative spelling for the same place, perhaps it is a case of one old, one modern, and one an English version.  However, for the sake of simplicity and uniformity, when it comes to Holmfirth’s part in the war I am using the place names that were in force during the war.  So I need to pick the right one to add to my Spell Checker.  Your opinions please.

Passendaele / Passendale / Passchendaele

Thanks,

Tony.

Hi Tony,

I have been using the spelling PASSCHENDAELE, my Great Grandad was wounded there.

Jenny.

On the anniversary of the start of the First Battle (12/10/1917), seems like an appropriate time to ask the question.

For me, it's PASSCHENDAELE

As for Google, that's just picking up the fact that other people may have mis-spelt it !!

Over to Aurel !!

Is n't Passchendaele the former French name for the now Flemish Passendale.

Similar to the French Ypres and Flemish Ieper and the French Mons,now the Flemish Bergen.

I would think that the place names carried, reflected the French association with the territory prior to 1830 which then became the independent state of Belgium.(I think even at this time,Great Britain gave some assurrance to Belgium regarding the safeguarding of its future independence.) From 1815,up to its independence,parts of Belgium were also part of the Netherlands which also accounts for use of Flemish in Flanders.

The adoption of Flemish place names appears to have accelerated since 1932 when the Flemish language was recognised as an official language to the same status as the French language.

Regards

Frank East

Dear friends,

Passchendaele is not French - it has no French name

spelling changed....

in every name (town or village) ae changed in a

Passendaele ------ Passendale

but Passchendaele ----- sch changed in s

Reninghelst ............ gh changed in g

Wytschaete .............. y changed in ij and the ae in a

but.... Wyngene ............ y changed in i Wingene ...................................

Don't trust internet --- information is not always correct.

"Passchendaele" indeed is the old spelling. (And certainly not French ! The opposition French name vs. Dutch (Flemish) name is only for towns, like Ypres / Ieper, Roulers / Roeselare, Courtrai / Kortrijk, Bruges / Brugge, Nieuport / Nieuwpoort, Furnes / Veurne.)

"Passendale" is the modern spelling. (I'm not sure since when. I think 1946, when our spelling changed.)

Aurel

Aurel,

IIRC it was 1948... (just splitting hairs :P )

Did you know the Germans were the first to officially use the modern writing? They published a list of place names during WW1, all in modern day spelling. However, they didn't use that spelling themselves in most of the cases...

Jan

Don't trust spell checkers - shades of Ronnie Barker (God bless him) and his fork handles!

Eye have a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plane lea marks for my revue

Miss steaks eye kin not sea.

Eye strike the quay and type a word,

And weight for it to say

Weather eye am wrong or write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose before two long,

And eye can put the err roar rite

Its rare lea ever wrong.