Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge ID

Guest Trisha54

The first pic is of my great aunts husband, can anyone please identify the cap badge and his rank, hopefully from the uniform.

The second is also a relative and I would like to identify the cap badge.

I know that the pics are not of a high quality but fingers crossed!

Trisha

post-8323-1128973025.jpg

post-8323-1128973192.jpg

Guest Jim Taylor 08
The first pic is of my great aunts husband, can anyone please identify the cap badge and his rank, hopefully from the uniform.

The second is also a relative and I would like to identify the cap badge.

I know that the pics are not of a high quality but fingers crossed!

Trisha

Trisha

Judging by the photograph, it would appear that the first picture is the King's Own (Lancaster) Regisment. This is the emblem of the Lion of England on a bar inscribed with 'The King's Own'. If it is possible, could you try and look via a magnifying glass at the badge and let me know of further details. He is obviously a member of either Kitchener's Army or one of the service battalions. The photo must have been taken in either 1914 or 1915. The uniform is a 1907 Pattern Service Dress and the belt is a 1914 Pattern.

As for the 2nd photo, I am afraid the image is too indistinct for me to tell you any further. Again, if you could look via amgnifying glass, this also would be helpful.

Left hand one's a private in the Royal berkshires, I'd say. The King's Own has a bar with "The Kings Own" on it; this one has a scroll, and I'd say it's a dragon, not a tiger. Buffs is a possibility, but I'd say it's a tail, not a wing, on the middle of its back. Other one - no idea.

Left hand one's a private in the Royal berkshires, I'd say. The King's Own has a bar with "The Kings Own" on it; this one has a scroll, and I'd say it's a dragon, not a tiger. Buffs is a possibility, but I'd say it's a tail, not a wing, on the middle of its back. Other one - no idea.

:P I agree with Steves three posts its the Royal Berkshire Regiment;The dragon being a Battle Honour from the China wars of the 19th century!

The Other Badge is unfortunately a bit too indistinct in the Photo,If you have a Name you could X refer with the Index Cards to get a Regiment.

Trisha,

Agree with Steve it looks more like the Royal Berkshire Regiment cap badge, but what is unusual is that his shoulder title is woven into the shoulder strap. Now the only time I've ever seen this is on uniforms of the Volunteer Force, the WWI equivalent of the Home Guard.

I know cloth shoulder titles were worn in 1918 to replace the normal metal ones and I do have some examples myself, but I also have a collection of photographs to various Volunteer Force units and in nearly all cases they have the county title rather than the regimental title woven into the shoulder strap usually with the letter 'V' above. So you would have V/Hampshire; V/Durham and so on. This looks as though it's just 'Berks', but I can't see if it has the 'V' above.

As for the other, not a clue I'm afraid.

Graham.

Sorry for posting three times ( :( ), but my lap top is playing silly beggars.