Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surname "Worrall" Harpenden area

sean finnis

Im interested in anyone with the surname Worrall, from the Harpenden/ Hertfordshire area who served during the Great war.

My Gt uncle 17284 Henry Worrall, originally of the 8th Bedfords was killed in April 1918 whilst serving with the 1st battalion of the regiment.

He lived in the Batford area of Harpenden.

Many thanks in advance. Sean.

Sean

According to Soldiers Died your great uncle was born in Whitechapel so the Hertfordshire connection seems to be through residence rather than birth

There were 106 Worralls killed in the war of whom one came from Cople in Bedfordshire, the majority come from the Midlands

Hope this helps

Hambo

Sean

According to Soldiers Died  your great uncle was born in Whitechapel so the Hertfordshire connection seems to be through residence rather than birth

There were 106 Worralls killed in the war of whom one came from Cople in Bedfordshire, the majority come from the Midlands

Hope this helps

Hambo

Thanks Hambo, My Gt uncles family moved from the east end prior to WW1 to reside in Herts.

thanks again, Sean.

Hi Sean,

Not sure if the attached is of any use to you but it shows an entry in the National Roll of The Great War (Section V - Luton).

It's for H T Worrall of Harpenden and is the only Worrall in the book.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON

post-1368-1128887324.jpg

Hi Sean,

Not sure if the attached is of any use to you but it shows an entry in the National Roll of The Great War (Section V - Luton).

It's for H T Worrall of Harpenden and is the only Worrall in the book.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON

Hi Paul, Got that entry, thats my Gt uncle, but many thanks anyway.

All the best, Sean.

Paul and Sean,

I can confirm that the "Lower Luton Road" runs along the boundery wall of Luton Hoo, through East Hyde and Batford to Harpenden.

Best wishes an old Lutonian

Paul and Sean,

I can confirm that the "Lower Luton Road" runs along the boundery wall of Luton Hoo, through East Hyde and Batford to Harpenden.

Best wishes an old Lutonian

Hi Roy, thanks for that, i have a photo taken during WW1 of the

Worrall family posing in the garden of which appears to be a Victorian detached house. Are there many such villas/houses on the Batford stretch of the Lower Luton road? Bit of a stab in the dark this one!

Many thanks, Sean.

Sean,

Sorry for late reply, been offline.

I've not been along the Lower Luton Road for some time but it is very likely that there are numerous Victorian houses, but as you say it's a long shot.

Best wishes Roy

Sean,

Sorry for late reply, been offline.

I've not been along the Lower Luton Road for some time but it is very likely that there are numerous Victorian houses, but as you say it's a long shot.

Best wishes Roy

Thanks Roy, Going down to Harpenden next week to have a nose around.

Is Harpenden war memorial situated on the Green?

Cheers, Sean.

Sean,

Sorry no info. on where Harpenden WM situated.

Best wishes Roy